Alpinestars Raider Drystar Pants
- Multi-material main shell construction with abrasion and tear resistant panels
- CE certified protectors: knee
- Internal knee compartment allows adjustments of protection to fit various leg length
- Fixed DRYSTAR® membrane
- Long lower leg zippered opening
- Long direct ventilation zippered opening strategically placed across the thighs
- Pre-curved leg construction for enhanced fit and comfort in the riding position
- Dynamic stretch panels around crotch, waist and back of knees for ease of movement
- Stretch accordion above the knees for ease of movement
- Integrated high visibility reflective details on lower legs to improve rider visibility in varying light conditions
- Velcro waist & leg adjustments for precision fit
- Hand pockets
- Waist connection zipper for secure integration with Alpinestars riding jackets
- Hip pad compartments with PE comfort padding
- YKK zippers
The pants are sold in ordinary US Alpha sizes and Alpinestars offers a chart to estimate the waist size for each alpha size. The conversion estimates are about what you’d expect for each US alpha size but the actual pants are a bit smaller than what Alpinestars estimates.
To help you get the right size, we’ve developed a chart which shows Alpinestars “official” estimate of size and what size we observed. Please note that we are listing a waist size range for each pant. That is because the pants have adjustment tabs on the waist that allow you to snug them down if needed (but they do not get bigger). Choose a size based on the measurement of your waist. You’ll want to measure yourself up a bit higher on your waist than ordinary jeans because protective pants like this are a little higher waisted. Take the link below if you need advice on how to measure.
|Alpha Size||Alpinestars Waist
|Small||31 to 32.5||28-31||31|
|Medium||33.5 to 35||31-33||31.5|
|Large||36 to 37.5||33-34.5||32|
|XL||38 to 39.5||34-36||32.5|
|XXL||40.5 to 42||36-38||33|
|XXXL||43 to 44.5||38-40||33.5|
Our Two Cents
The Raider Drystar pants will be your friend if you frequently ride in cool to cold and/or wet weather. This is a solid textile style (not mesh) with a waterproof shell AND a removable liner. The insulated liner along with the solid shell design will keep you warm. The pants are made waterproof with an integral waterproof/breathable Drystar liner. This liner is permanently installed between the pant’s outer shell and the inside mesh lining and should do a good job with keeping the rain out. To get a bit of air flowing into the pants in warm weather, there are a couple zips on the thighs. These zips are waterproof, and when open give a path for air to pass through to your skin. Of course pants don’t get a big wind blast while on the bike and even though the zips will help admit some air, these pants won’t be comfortable in hot weather.
The overall cut is reasonably trim, but not so trim as to be binding or uncomfortable for the average build. The touch and feel of the nylon textile material they use is ideal. It has a smooth surface so they won’t be lint magnets, but they aren’t too stiff or cheap feeling. The pant legs have some zips that allow the pant leg to be bigger so you can slip a booted foot into them easier or to make them bigger to fit over adventure style boots. A full-around zipper is included so you can zip this pant to a jacket that has the same zipper to form a nice riding outfit.
Other little niceties are two zippered front pockets and expansion panels above the knees and a slightly stretchy panel below the waist line in back. Both these will help with mobility and comfort in a riding position. The pants have the standard Bio Armor CE inserts in the knees, and the armor pocket has Velcro strips to allow you to adjust the position up or down to suit your leg length. The hips are fitted with some foam armor pieces. Each pant leg has some reflective material down toward your boot for some extra nighttime visibility. :: Paul, 09-14-16