Alpinestars Guayana Gore-Tex Jacket
- Multi-panel construction featuring strategically positioned poly-fabric accordion and stretch panels on back and elbows for an excellent contoured fit.
- Main shell constructed from a two-layer laminated GORE-TEX® membrane for excellent levels of water and wind proofing as well as breathability.
- Laminated fabric reduces material bulk for a lighter, more compact fit with excellent interior climate management.
- Long sleeve thermal liner (100g on body, 80g on sleeves) ensures jacket versatility and comfort in cold and hot conditions and can be removed with easy identification red zippers.
- Anatomical, pre-curved sleeve design incorporates dual hook and loop grip and snap button volume control adjustment straps for improved comfort, precision adjustment of garment and to help keep elbow protections in place.
- Internal impact protection provided by removable CE-certified elbow and shoulder protectors.
- Chest and back pad compartments with poly-foam padding (CE-certified Nucleon back protector inserts available as accessory).
- Zippered ventilation chest air intakes and back exhaust vents for internal climate control and enhanced riding comfort.
- Chest and front pockets plus waterproof cargo-style pockets for convenience and peace-of-mind closure, plus internal waterproof document pocket.
- Large, external, utility pocket on lower back of jacket plus waterproof internal pockets and wallet pocket.
- Buckle waist adjustment offers customized fit and helps keep garment close to the body.
- Accordion textile flex inserts on elbows for arm flexibility.
- Full circumference interior waist connection zipper for attachment to Alpinestars riding pants.
- Reflective detailing on front, back and sleeves improves rider’s visibility.
- Graphic details on front, sleeves and back.
- Soft textile collar lining and padded edging for high levels of comfort.
These jackets are sold in US based “alpha” sizes, so selecting a size is basically pretty easy. We checked several sizes with a tape. We found the sizing to be comparable to standard men’s clothing sizes. So our primary advice would be to choose the size you normally wear in men’s clothing.
Alpinestars publishes a super-complicated size chart which can be used to pick a size based upon your chest and waist. We’ve condensed their chart down to make it easy to read (see below). You can use this size chart to check your own measurements against the size chart to make sure the size you select will work. Choose a size that is big enough for both your chest and belly.
The max waist of a jacket style like this is only a couple inches smaller than the max chest, so the style is very forgiving in case you have a bit of a belly, but don’t be concerned if your belly is smaller than the size listed below because this jacket has some very effective side waist adjustment straps.
One caution about fit we found is that the cut of the jacket is relatively slimmer through the shoulders, so those with wide shoulders probably aren’t going to like the fit.
|Jacket Size||Chest Range||Waist/Belly Range|
|Small||37.5 to 39||37|
|Medium||40 to 41.5||39.5|
|Large||42 to 43.5||41.5|
|XL||44.5 to 46||44|
|XXL||47 to 49||47|
|XXXL||49 to 51||49|
|XXXXL||51.5 to 53||51|
Our Two Cents
The Guayana Gore-Tex jacket is a premium waterproof touring or adventure jacket. It is constructed with a textile shell with a bonded Gore-Tex liner for max protection against inclement weather. These jackets are now a closeout with Alpinestars so they are a very good value right now.
The shell of this jacket is made of a textile fabric and it is permanently bonded to a Gore-Tex liner. Many waterproof jackets will use their own “house brand” of waterproofing, which is less expensive than genuine Gore-Tex, but many people consider the Gore-Tex liner to be the best in the business for waterproofing and with breathability. And the bonded construction is the premium construction method. A shell that is bonded will resist water incursion and doesn’t become “waterlogged” like a jacket with a textile shell and separate waterproof liner. Also, the zip venting in the chest of this jacket flows directly through the jacket to your body so it works better.
Speaking with venting… this jacket has some limited venting on the front along with larger rear exhaust vents. But it is a waterproof jacket and so I think it will shine in cold to mild… maybe even warm weather, but I don’t think it will be too comfortable in hot summer temps. But in wet weather and cold weather it will work great. Included with the jacket is a full sleeve thermal liner to add some warmth for the cold days.
This jacket has a good deal of storage, and the external pockets are waterproof. There are two large patch pockets on the front, one external breast pocket and one breast pocket just inside the flap over the main zipper (so you can reach your stuff without unzipping), and inside there are patch pockets on each side (both on the thermal liner and the jacket’s liner so you’ll have those pockets whether you are using the thermal liner or not.
For compatibility with Alpinestars pants, the jacket has a full around zip connection so you can have an integrated suit. For a bonded GoreTex jacket, this one is a bargain right now. :: Paul, 06-05-19
Armor upgrades: We have listed the options for upgrading the back protector and chest protectors below. The jacket comes with foam pieces installed in the chest and back protector pockets. The standard armor pieces have minimal thickness and are not rated, however it remains your option as to whether or not to upgrade them. We suggest you order the armor with the jacket and see what you think. If you are adding all the armor and chest protectors. expect the jacket to fit a little more snug. If you were between sizes in the size advice, and want to all armor, definitely choose the larger. If you are measuring yourself to use the sizing chart, add 2” to both your chest and belly sizes for the full armor package.
Alpinestars says: The Guayana GORE-TEX® Jacket features a laminated GORE-TEX® membrane for excellent levels of waterproofing and breathability. With class-leading protective features and a host of comfort features designed to reduce rider fatigue, the Guayana is optimized for adventure touring.