Alpinestars Wake Air Pants
- Multi-fabric shell construction with mesh panels on thighs, lower legs and back for improved cooling performance
- Accordion zones above the knee offer improved flexibility
- Extended high rear waist construction provides greater overlap with the riding jacket
- Knee protector multiple positioning
- Pre-curved leg construction helps prevent riding fatigue and aids performance fit
- Waist circumference adjustment
- Waist connection zipper allows attachment to Alpinestars riding jackets
- Micrometric waist buckle adjuster
- Hook and loop strap on ankle closure
- A long zippered gusset running from the knees to the bottom legs enables easy fitting of the pants while wearing boots
- Replaceable foam hip pad inserts for comfort and additional impact performance (Level 1 CE certified hip protector available as accessory upgrade)
- Level 1 CE certified Alpinestars Bio Armor protectors
- CE 89/686/EEC
Read on for more details.
These pants are sold in US Alpha sizes and Alpinestars offers a chart to estimate the waist size for each size. The conversion estimates are about what you’d expect for each US alpha size, and measurements of each size pretty accurately match Alpinestars published sizing chart.
To help you get the right size, we’ve condensed Alpinestars rather complicated chart to something more easily readable. Please note that we are listing a waist size range for each pant because the pants have adjustment tabs on the waist that allow you to snug them down if needed (but they don’t get bigger). Choose a size based on the measurement of your waist. These pants can be worn over underwear or as overpants, so when you measure, be sure to measure over what you plan to wear under them.
Note: I measured the inseams on these pants and found them to be about one inch shy of what Alpinestar’s standard size chart says. The inseams listed below are based upon our own measurements.
|Alpha Size||Alpinestars Waist
|Small||30 to 31.5||30.5|
|Medium||31.5 to 33||31.5|
|Large||33 to 34.5||32|
|XL||36 to 38||33|
|XXXL||41 to 42.5||34|
Our Two Cents
These new Wake Air pants are pretty slick. The mesh panels flow air freely but they are built for privacy so you can’t see through them. These pants would work well as a pant over underwear or as overpants over street clothes.
Take a look at our close up pictures to see the areas of mesh material. Most of the front, and part of the back are mesh so these pants should perform really well in hot summer temps. The mesh material is something I’ve not ever seen before. Sure the pants are lined with the usual nylon mesh, but the outer mesh fabric is woven in such a way that you can’t easily see through them, which is a big improvement over some pants that show your tighty whites underneath. But when I blow through the material (to test flow), they readily allow the air to go right through I like this new material!
The pants have a lot of adjustability at the waist. There are integral buckles on each side of the waist band. There is also an adjustable front closure which gives additional adjustability. The buckle is a ratchet setup which is very sturdy
The pants come with armor inserts for the knees and also the hips. The knee armor is Alpinestar’s standard BioArmor and they are affixed in pockets with Velcro so you can adjust the height to suit your own leg length. The hip armor are simple cloth trimmed foam units that affix with Velcro. Those are pretty nice, but if you want more sturdy armor, then you can upgrade to a CE rated hip pad. I recommend the CE Level 1 KR-H units. Level 2 units are also available, but I think those would be overkill for a street pant like this. Anyway, you can read about the options from the link below.
These pants have a side zipper on the lower legs that comes up to about the knee. This will be useful to pull the pants on or off over boots when you plan to wear them as overpants. There is a snap adjustment behind the knee to snug the armor down against your leg and also an adjustment at the cuff to make the pants fit well over your boots. Have a look at all the nice little details in our photo gallery. I’m a fan of these new mesh pants… they are sporty, well made and have nice features! I especially like the special mesh material in these. :: Paul, 04-09-18