Alpinestars Ramjet Air Pants
- Multi-panel construction featuring 450/600 denier panels with strategically positioned abrasion resistant Air-Flow mesh
- Outer shell reinforced with PU coating for improved durability, plus main seam construction for maximum tear resistance
- Accordion textile stretch inserts on back and knees
- Removable hip foam padding with velcro attachment for secure, safe fit
- Zippered and velcro gusseted lower hem ensures tight and personalized closing of pant around boot
- Full mesh lining and 3D mesh on interior waist for comfort and breathability
- External zippered pockets on thighs for safe, peace-of-mind storage
- Jet Ventilation System (JVS) features zippered, mesh backed air ventilation intakes for controllable levels of cooling airflow
- Reflective details for improved rider visibility
- Pre-curved shaping for natural riding position
- D-ring adjustable waist for a secure and personalized fit
- Removable, CE approved knee and tibia protectors for class-leading safety
- Waist zipper allows connection to Alpinestars leather and textile jackets
Read on for more details.
The pants are sold in ordinary US Alpha sizes and Alpinestars offers a chart to estimate the waist size for each alpha size. The conversion estimates are about what you’d expect for each US alpha size but the actual pants are a bit smaller than what Alpinestars estimates.
To help you get the right size, we’ve developed a chart which shows Alpinestars “official” estimate of size and what size we observed. Please note that we are listing a waist size range for each pant. That is because the pants have adjustment tabs on the waist that allow you to snug them down if needed (but they do not get bigger). Choose a size based on the measurement of your waist. You’ll want to measure yourself up a bit higher on your waist than ordinary jeans because protective pants like this are a little higher waisted. Take the link below if you need advice on how to measure.
|Alpha Size||Alpinestars Waist
|Small||31 to 32.5||28-31||31|
|Medium||33.5 to 35||31-33||31.5|
|Large||36 to 37.5||33-34.5||32|
|XL||38 to 39.5||34-36||32.5|
|XXL||40.5 to 42||36-38||33|
|XXXL||43 to 44.5||38-40||33.5|
Our Two Cents
These new Ramjet Air pants will be a great pant for mild to hot weather. They are a sport cut, so they don’t have a baggy fit like a lot of “over pants” we sell. You could use these pants over jeans or shorts, but primarily they are made to be worn just over underwear.
The main draw for this pant is its extensive venting. Take the “view larger images” link above and you will see the large patch vents on the thigh of each leg. With those open, you have a vent about 6” square. Also, on the front of the leg from the knee know is mesh material. So between the vent and the leg mesh panel, the pants should flow a lot of air. But since the top vent is closable, you’ll be able to close it off for cooler weather as well. Overall, I’d suggest this style for cool to hot weather.
These pants have Alpinestars new “bio air” armor inserts for the knee/shin. These armor pieces are new. Rather than being a more or less solid molded piece, they are a honeycomb construction that allows lots of airflow (see the pic in our photo gallery), but they are lighter than the solid molded ones and are rated CE level 2 certified (as compared to level one with the older version of armor). The height postion of the armor is adjustable +/- about 1” with little Velcro strips you can use to trap the armor either higher or lower in the armor pocket. The pants also include hip pads (nothing fancy, just foam secured by Velcro so you can move them around a bit if necessary).
A few other nice features: full connection zipper to mate with Alpinestars jackets, adjustments at the waistband and some nighttime reflectives. There are also two zip-close pockets in front to store some things securely.
I really like this new design and I think those who live in warmer climates will like them for the versatility and good air flow. They’ll pair nicely with Alpinestars shorter waist jackets like the T-GP and T-Jaws variants. :: Paul, 03-15-17
Hip Armor Upgrade: These pants are offered with foam hip pieces as standard (see our photo gallery). Those hip pieces can be upgraded to CE units made of a soft dense foam material that is energy absorbing. The hip armor upgrade is available in two versions… CE level 1 or CE level 2. My recommendation for a street pant like this is the Level 1 version. It is thinner than the level 2 and about the thickness I think you would find comfortable. The level 2 armor would be appropriate for one and two piece race suits or for sport leather race pants. But the choice is yours… either version will fit.