Alpinestars Solano Waterproof Jacket
- Main chassis constructed from a breathable coated polyamide for enhanced levels of comfort and high levels of mechanical per-formance.
- Alpinestars Nucleon Flex Plus armor on shoulder and elbow (Alpinestars Nucleon back protector and Nucleon KR-Ci chest protec-tor available as an accessory upgrade).
- 600 Denier polyfabric reinforcement on shoulders and elbows for additional abrasion and tear resistance.
- Waist volume adjustment for the highest level of comfort.
- Waterproof zip on front and snap closure wrists for a secure closure.
- Straight collar for enhanced rider comfort.
- Five external pockets including a waterproof arm key card pocket and two elasticated inner pockets for safe and secure storage.
- Removable thermal vest for optimal levels of comfort.
- Side vents for improved airflow.
- Reflective details.
- According to European statutory law the CE mark is a conformity requirement for the marketing of this product. The following standards apply to this product:
- CE Category II PPE Regulation (EU) 2016/425 – A class.
- CE Level 2 EN1621-2:2014 Alpinestars Nucleon back protector, available as an accessory upgrade.
- CE Level 1 EN1621-1:2012 Alpinestars Nucleon Flex Plus shoulder and elbow protectors.
Read on for more details.
These jackets are sold in US based “alpha” sizes, so selecting a size is basically pretty easy. The size Medium and XL jackets fit Huey and Dewey, our Fit Check mannequins very nicely! Also, we checked several sizes with a tape. We found the sizing to be comparable to standard men’s clothing sizes. So our primary advice would be to choose the size you normally wear in men’s clothing.
Alpinestars publishes a super-complicated size chart which can be used to pick a size based upon your chest and waist. We’ve condensed their chart down to make it easy to read (see below). You can use this size chart to check your own measurements against the size chart to make sure the size you select will work. Choose a size that is big enough for both your chest and belly.
The max waist of a jacket style like this is only a couple inches smaller than the max chest, but on the sides of the torso are two very effective Velcro adjuster straps to make the jacket fit almost any size belly (up to the max of course).
|Jacket Size||Max Chest||Max Belly|
Our Two Cents
The Alpinestars Solano Waterproof Jacket is made for urban street riders that want an understated style with protective features and waterproofing found in typical textile street jackets. The Solano comes with armor for the shoulders and elbows and a back protector is optionally available.
The Solano jacket has “urban” styling, which is to say, it doesn’t have the usual stripes, logos, and color splashes of a typical sport-style jacket. There are two color choices here, Black or Melange Charcoal. Melange Charcoal translates to “a mix” of charcoal, but it really isn’t a mix of color… it looks like a flat steel grey to me. This jacket has simple styling with two chest flap pockets and there are two zippered hand warmer pockets. You’ll also find more storage inside. There is also a pocket with a waterproof zip on the left sleeve which looks like a good size for a wallet or cell phone. The “touch” of the fabric here is a bit softer than traditional sport jackets. It’s more like what you’d find on casual men’s clothing.
This jacket is made waterproof by bonding a waterproof layer on the backside of the jacket’s shell material. Unlike many waterproof jackets, there is no separate waterproof layer. A design like this is effective and lighter in weight too. There are a couple of zips on the side of the torso to allow some air movement, but those, being positioned on the side, won’t catch much airflow so the breathability of this jacket will be minimal. I’d recommend this style for fall/winter/spring, but not for hot summer temps. It should work well for wet weather in any of those seasons though. A full sleeve thermal liner is included as well. You can snap in for winter riding to get a layer of insulation against the cold.
The armor supplied with this jacket is a new Nucleon Flex Plus Level 1 armor in shoulders and elbows. Please visit our armor department where this armor is sold separately if you are interested in a more detailed description, but just briefly the armor is a very flexible and low profile design that sits flatter on the body and is less noticeable than traditional molded rubber armor. The jacket has a pocket for an optional back protector. I’ve listed the Nucleon type options below. You’ll find MANY details on the back protector product pages, but for this jacket, I’d recommend the Nucleon KR-CELLi model for its lighter weight.
Being an “urban” style, your mostly likely pant pairing will be riding jeans or chinos, and to connect the jacket to those jeans/pants, there are a couple of loops inside down near the waist for that purpose. If you’ve been looking for a style jacket that falls somewhere between the traditional textile style and an overshirt, this one might just be the thing for you. :: Paul, 06-10-20
Alpinestars says: The casually-styled Solano Waterproof Jacket offers riders the best protection in a jacket optimized for urban riding; the construction materials offer superior abrasion resistance, while the Nucleon Flex Plus armor ensures effective protection against impacts. This jacket is also equipped with seven pockets for real-world practicality, while the waterproof zip on the front prevents water ingress.