Alpinestars MM93 Austin Waterproof Jacket
- Chassis constructed from hard wearing 600 Denier polyester with double polyurethane coating for additional protection.
- Level 1 Nucleon Flex Plus armor on shoulder and elbow (Nucleon chest Level 1 and Nucleon Level 1 and 2 back protectors sold separately).
- 600 Denier polyester internal reinforcement on shoulders and elbows for additional abrasion resistance.
- CE Category II PPE Regulation (EU) 2016/425 – A class.
- CE Level 2 EN1621-2:2014 Alpinestars Nucleon back protector, available as an accessory upgrade.
- CE Level 1 EN1621-1:2012 Alpinestars Nucleon Flex Plus shoulder and elbow protectors.
- Hook and loop waist and cuff with YKK zip for a secure closure.
- Low profile collar construction with soft lining for enhanced rider comfort.
- Two front zippered pockets, inner waterproof document pocket, and two inner pockets on the liner for safe and secure storage.
- Removable thermal liner allows the rider to adjust the jacket to the weather conditions.
- Upper side vents for optimal airflow.
- Reflective details.
Read on for more details.
These jackets are sold in US based “alpha” sizes. This particular style fits much like jackets in Alpinestar’s Urban collection and it runs just a bit smaller than their other jackets… I’d say about 1/2 or even one full size smaller. If you have a pretty trim build and prefer a trim fit, you’ll likely find a fit in the size you normally wear in men’s clothing. If you have a more stout build, you’ll probably wind up in a jacket that is one size larger than you normally wear. We measured each size in this jacket style and developed the size chart below. Just measure both your chest and your belly and then choose a jacket size that will accommodate both.
About sizing when accessory armor is used: I’d recommend you add 1” to your chest and belly measurements if you plan on adding the chest pads and the KR-1i/CELLi back pad, which will be most peoples upgrade choice. If you want to add the KR-2i back pad, add 2” to both your chest and belly measurements before selecting from the chart.
Our Two Cents
The Alpinestars MM93 Austin Waterproof Jacket is part of Alpinestar’s MM93 collection of riding apparel which is endorsed by Marc Marquez. This is a great jacket for the everyday street rider. Shoulder and elbow armor is supplied with the jacket and a back protector is optional. This jacket has bulletproof waterproofing capabilities and a great thermal liner for cold weather.
The overall fit of this jacket, I’d characterize as “standard”... not super sporty, but not “relaxed” either. We did find the overall fit to be trim (see our sizing advice about that) so be sure and measure yourself before selecting a size. I think the sporty MM93 graphics give this jacket a bit more of a sporty feel than some of the standard Alpinestars products but many of the practical features and armor options are the same.
This jacket is equipped with a fixed waterproof liner which is between the outer shell and inner lining. The fixed liner will be very effective in keeping water out, and there are a couple zippered vents in the side torso area to admit a bit of air, but the venting doesn’t pass all the way through the liner to your skin like with some more elaborate designs. With the vents open, I think you can achieve comfort in milder weather, but not hot (or even warm) weather. But this jacket does come with a removable full thermal liner which feels nice and should give lots of warmth for colder weather.
Other features: A waterproof breast pocket just inside the main zipper (idea for your phone); Reflective strips on each bicep for night visibility; A full around zip to connect to Alpinestars pants; Adjusters for the waist fit and also the fit of the arms.
Like most Alpinestars street jackets, this one has excellent armor capability. The jacket comes with removable CE protectors in the elbows and shoulders. And it has a pocket to install the optional back pad. We have listed the options for upgrading the back protector below. For a lighter weight jacket like this, I’d recommend the KR-CELLi option so the weight and thickness of the back protector doesn’t overwhelm the jacket chassis, but the KR-1i or KR-2i works as well if you are really concerned about getting the very most rugged back pad you can. :: Paul, 05-03-21
Alpinestars says: The MM93 Austin Waterproof jacket features an advanced poly-fabric main shell for high levels of tear and abrasion resistance. Featuring a waterproof membrane which is fully seam-taped, air vents and a removable thermal liner, the MM93 Austin Waterproof Jacket is ideal for a range of weather conditions. With class-leading Nucleon Flex Plus protection on the shoulder and elbow and the option to upgrade with Alpinestars Nucleon chest and back protection, the MM93 Austin Waterproof Jacket is ideal for urban riding.