Alpinestars AMT 10-R Drystar XF Jacket
The multi-season AMT-10R DrystarXF® Jacket has been engineered to deliver optimal protection, weather performance and comfort in extreme adventure riding conditions. A new approach in advanced riding all-weather protective apparel, this jacket utilizes a modular construction and the most advanced materials technologies available at Alpinestars, and is equipped with Alpinestars new laminated 2.5L DrystarXF® waterproof and highly breathable membrane for effective all-weather performance and superior comfort in any weather conditions, wet or dry. The AMT-10R DrystarXF® Jacket is Tech-Air® ready and can accommodate the Tech-Air® 5 Airbag System.
1. Adapts to any type of riding and all-weather conditions, from short to long distances, and to warm, or wet weather conditions. The jacket can be 100% waterproof with adjustable direct ventilation or converted to a full airflow jacket while still maintaining the highest level of protection. 2. MATRYX® panel for enhanced airflow and mechanical performance. 3. Leather with Kevlar® GRID for high abrasion resistance on exposed areas. 4. Rideknit® panel for comfort and stretch zones for an optimized fit. 5. Modular Laminated DrystarXF® membrane provides superior breathability. This membrane incorporates hydrophilic technology where water vapor is absorbed from the body and desorbed on the outside to provide 100% waterproof performance, and is easily packable and fast drying. 6. Superfabric® reinforcements in exposed areas for enhanced durability. 7. Extra storage options for long-distance travelling.
- RIDEKNIT® provides premium comfort through varying the densities and applying varying thickness based on rider needs, as well as providing flexibility, stretch, and a high level of abrasion and tear resistance
- In fully waterproof configuration the AMT-10 jacket features direct ventilation on the chest that riders can easily modify for extra ventilation via the versatile ventilation openings on the chest
- Tech-Air® 5 ready; Tech-Air® is the world’s first completely electronic, self-contained, full independent upper body motorcycle airbag system with no bike-to-rider set-up configurations required
- Ergonomically designed double waterproof cargo pockets for quick and easy access
- The mid torso zips for moderate ventilation can also be opened for additional airflow
- In warm weather conditions the jacket can be conveniently converted to a mesh jacket by completely removing the laminated DrystarXF® rain panel, which can be conveniently stored in the large stretch mesh pocket on the back when not in use. The fully converted airflow jacket maintains all of the protective performance, thanks to the lightweight MATRYX® material that delivers exceptional abrasion resistance, tear strength and breathability
- Nucleon Flex Pro shoulder and elbow armor for effective protection against impacts
- Intuitive and functional incorporation of magnetic zippers, FidLock® connectors and ergonomic designs on liner connection, closure systems, wrists and collar for ease of use
- Water bladder compatibility for enhanced versatility in extreme conditions
- Lower hem shock cord for an optimized fit
- Strategically positioned stretch panel inserts have been designed to accommodate Alpinestars Airbag System, allowing expansion when the airbag inflates but also offering a high level of anatomical performance and a superior fit when riding without the system fitted
- 450D laminated hard shell construction for enhanced durability
The Grey section at the top of the jacket is much more of an Olive Drab Green in person
• Kevlar® is a trademark of affiliates of DuPont de Nemours, Inc. used under license by Alpinestars s.p.a.
Read on for more details.
These jackets are sold in US based “alpha” sizes, so selecting a size is basically pretty easy. The size Medium and XL jackets fit Huey and Dewey, our Fit Check mannequins very nicely! Also, we checked several sizes with a tape. We found the sizing to be comparable to standard men’s clothing sizes. So our primary advice would be to choose the size you normally wear in men’s clothing.
Alpinestars publishes a super-complicated size chart which can be used to pick a size based upon your chest and waist. We’ve condensed their chart down to make it easy to read (see below). You can use this size chart to check your own measurements against the size chart to make sure the size you select will work. Choose a size that is big enough for both your chest and belly.
The max waist of a jacket style like this is only a couple inches smaller than the max chest and the jacket has an internal kidney belt and hem adjusters so it will look good even if your waist line is substantially smaller than the max.
Our Two Cents
This Alpinestars AMT 10-R DrystarXF® Jacket is an incredibly feature rich jacket aimed at the adventure touring and dual-sport crowd.
The AMT-10R DrystarXF® jacket is part of Alpinestars’ Motion Technology line (Project 001, so more to come we hope!). The underlying principle of this line is printed on the 3D-mesh back pad pocket : “Created to be the ideal set of adaptable equipment to be used all day, in all sesasons, in all environments where the ride takes you.” Now that is a serious mission statement from a garment, and I will argue they have acheived their goals here.
The Alpinestars AMT-10R DrystarXF® uses a variety of technologies and materials to pull off modern styling and ultimate adapability and pair it with all day comfort. Let’s start with part of the name, DrystarXF®. This AMT-10R sees the DrystarXF® lining laminated to the outer shell in a 2.5L construction. In this case, there is the outer layer which is coated with a DWR (durable water repellant) that causes water to bead up and roll off. This limits the amount of water that can eventually penetrate this outer layer. The next layer is the Drystar® membrane itself. Drystar® is Alpinestars’ house developed waterproofing technology and it is waterproof and breathable. The breathability is important as this allows any sweat or moisture within the jacket to evaporate and keeps you from feeling clammy or like you are wearing a plastic bag. The AMT-10R uses the latest iteration of the Drystar membrane : DrystarXF®. XF stands for Extra FLow, meaning this is going to breath even better than standard Drystar membranes. The remaining .5 layer is a thin coating that adds durability for the waterproof membrane. It increases resistance to sweat and oils and extends the overall life of the garment. This layer also allows the waterproof membrane and face layer to be thinner, cutting weight.
Now back to the outer shell. The shoulders and elbows of the waterproof layer have an additional layer of SuperFabric® overlay. SuperFabric® is a thin layer of hardened plates with tiny gaps between them. This allows the fabric to stay flexible while providing excellent abrasion and cut resistance. The SuperFabric® allows the designers at Alpinestars to use unique patterns with breaks and gaps that are appealing to the eye.
The top portion of the AMT-10R DrystarXF® jacket (Grey/Green area) is FULLY removable. This jacket converts into a mest jacket with 4 zippers, 3 snaps, and two FidLock attachments. Just zip down from the collar on either side of the chest, around from the side of the ribs to the chest, unsnap 3 snaps at the collar, and slide the two FidLocks on the lower back down to remove it. This portion of the jacket can then be rolled and stowed in the expandable mesh pocket on the lower back (I’d probably use a saddlebag, hate to lose half of a $900 jacket because it popped out of a pocket). The collar then can be snapped down for a finished look using the same 3 snap attachment places. Beneath that waterproof layer is a mesh/Rideknit/Matryx EVO layer that allows enhanced airflow while still providing excellent abrasion resistance. The Matryx EVO® material is a lightweight and breathable weave of materials including Aramid® fibers. The Rideknit® sections are stretch zones for comfort and act as a 3D mesh allowing more air to flow across the surface area and keep you cooler in hot environments. Removing the outer layer means that you remove the SuperFabric®, but Alpinestars has reinforced this main shell of the jacket with SUPPLE leather overlays at the shoulders and elbows.
For protection Alpinestars provides Nucleon Flex Pro CE level 2 armor at the shoulders and elbows. This is their thinnest and most breathable and flexible armor. There are also pockets for optional Nucleon chest protectors (these pockets are within the interior mesh lining and are acessed via a small zipper at the very bottom hem of the jacket) and a back pocket for an optional Nucleon Flex Pro back protector (see related products below). Alternatively you can easily pair this jacket with a Tech-Air® 3 or Tech-Air® 5 system (see related products below). The stretch components of the jacket were incorporated with these airbag systems in mind.
The main jacket shell has a pocket at the back for a hydration bladder that can hang from the included hook and loop strap at the top. There is a tube feed through on the exterior of this layer and the tube can be run over the shoulder and through elastic bands on either side of the main chest zipper. You can use this feature with the waterproof layer as well, there are pass throughs on both shoulders that feed the tube out and back over the top of this outer shell to another set of elastic bands to hold it in place on either side of the main zip again. There is a removable hook and loop patch on one arm that reads “Alpinestars Motion Technology” this mating hook and loop spot is on both arms so you can apply any patches you might want to wear. The main jacket shell sleeve is not adjustable but it does have a stretch material on one side and a thumb hook so you can easily hold it down in place. The outer shell layer has a hook and loop cuff adjuster.
There are two large zippered waterproof chest pockets in the outer layer. These pockets have waterproof zippers and also have drain holes at the bottom just in case. The left bicep/shoulder has another zippered waterproof pocket that goes nearly from shoulder to elbow. Moving to the main jacket body there are two waterproof cargo pockets, two waterproof “cross-body” pockets (open the one on the left and insert your right hand kind of thing, backwards from a handwarmer pocket), and one additional waterproof pocket on the lower right side. There is one zippered stash pocket over the left elbow within the leather overlay. Moving to the back there is the stretch mesh pocket intended for storage of the top waterproof portion and above the FidLock attachements is another waterproof pouch pocket. Above that pocket are several Molle attachment spots as well.
The main zipper of this jacket has a magnetic base that makes getting the zipper started a breeze. Just get the two sides close to one another and they’ll do the rest. This bottom section has a hook and loop flap to protect your tank from scratches. On the interior of the jacket is a mesh liner with a hook and loop pocket at the right belly and a zippered waterproof pocket at the left belly. There is also an integrated kidney belt, full length connection zipper with mating half, and a drawcord for adjustment at the hem. The biceps on the waterproof portion also have hook and loop adjuster straps.
Overall this Alpinestars AMT-10R DrystarXF® jacket packs just about every material and feature Alpinestars has in their awesome bag of technology into one garment. It will exceed just about any expectations you might have on road or trail in any weather. :: Mike, 12/21/2022