Alpinestars AMT 10-R Drystar XF Pants
AMT-10R DrystarXF® pants are engineered to deliver optimal protection, weather performance and comfort in extreme adventure riding conditions. A new approach in advanced riding all-weather protective apparel, these rugged pants utilize a modular construction and the most advanced materials technologies available at Alpinestars and are equipped with Alpinestars new laminated 2L DrystarXF® waterproof and highly breathable membrane for effective all-weather performance. These pants utilize a modern material mix for maximum performance and offer versatility by allowing touring riders to wear the boot both in and outside of the pants.
1. The pants adapt to any type of riding and all-weather conditions, from short to long distances, and to warm, or wet weather conditions; they can be 100% waterproof and have adjustable direct ventilation panels that can be rolled up and positioned into the knee, thus converting the pants into a partial airflow pant while still maintaining the highest level of protection. 2. MATYRX® panel for enhanced airflow and mechanical performance. 3. Leather with Kevlar® GRID for high abrasion resistance on exposed areas. 4. Rideknit® panel for comfort and stretch zones for an optimized fit. 5. Modular laminated DrystarXF® membrane provides superior breathability. This membrane incorporates hydrophilic technology where water vapor is absorbed from the body and desorbed on the outside to provide 100% waterproof performance, and is easily packable and fast drying. 6. Superfabric® reinforcements in exposed areas for enhanced durability. 7. Extra storage options for long-distance traveling.
- The AMT-10R pants feature large direct opening vent panels on the thigh for optimized airflow, and these can be rolled into the knee for convenience. The partially converted airflow panel on the thighs maintains all of the protective performance thanks to the lightweight MATRYX® material that delivers exceptional abrasion resistance, tear strength and breathability
- RIDEKNIT® comfort zone strategically positioned behind the knees for enhanced comfort, flexibility and stretch, and a high level of abrasion and tear resistance
- Elasticated back waist accordion incorporating waist volume adjusters for an optimized fit
- Designed with a tailored, ergonomic fit to accommodate all riding movements
- Nucleon Flex Pro Knee armor and Bio-Flex Hip armor for effective impact protection
- Ergonomically designed zippered front pockets for ease of use
- Reflective detail on the lower leg
- 450D laminated hard shell construction for enhanced durability
- Lower leg stretch accordion construction for the best fit and optimized comfort, regardless of the type of boot or shoe the rider is wearing
- Kevlar® is a trademark of affiliates of DuPont de Nemours, Inc. used under license by Alpinestars s.p.a.
Read on for more details.
These pants are sold in US Alpha sizes and Alpinestars offers a chart to estimate the waist size for each size. The conversion estimates are about what you’d expect for each US alpha size and we verified the estimates on several pair and found them to be pretty accurate. (Note: Prior to 2018 product releases, Alpinestars standard size charts indicated waist sizes that were significantly larger than those listed here and we had to provide our own estimates on size. Now Alpinestar’s chart more accurately reflects actual size.)
To help you get the right size, we’ve condensed Alpinestars rather complicated chart to something more easily readable. Please note that we are listing a waist size range for each pant because the pants have an adjustable belt at the waist that allow you to snug them down if needed. Choose a size based on the measurement of your waist. You’ll want to measure yourself up a bit higher on your waist than ordinary jeans because protective pants like this are a little higher waisted. Take the link below if you need advice on how to measure. Though the materials of these pants are somewhat stretchy and forgiving, I’d advise you to choose larger if you find yourself between sizes.
|Alpha Size||Alpinestars Waist
|Small||30 to 31.5||30.5|
|Medium||31.5 to 33||31.5|
|Large||33 to 34.5||33|
|XL||36 to 37.5||33.5|
|XXL||38 to 39||34.5|
|XXXL||41 to 42.5||35|
|XXXXL||42.5 to 44||35|
|XXXXXL||45.5 to 47.5||35|
Our Two Cents
This Alpinestars AMT 10-R DrystarXF® pants are aimed at the adventure touring and dual-sport crowd.
The AMT-10R DrystarXF® pants are part of Alpinestars’ Motion Technology line (Project 001, so more to come we hope!). The underlying principle of this line is printed on the mesh interior lining of these pants : “Created to be the ideal set of adaptable equipment to be used all day, in all sesasons, in all environments where the ride takes you.” Now that is a serious mission statement from a garment, and I will argue they have acheived their goals here as they did on the jacket.
The Alpinestars AMT-10R DrystarXF® uses a variety of technologies and materials to pull off modern styling and ultimate adapability and pair it with all day comfort. Let’s start with part of the name, DrystarXF®. This AMT-10R sees the DrystarXF® lining laminated to the outer shell in a 2L construction. In this case, there is the outer layer which is coated with a DWR (durable water repellant) that causes water to bead up and roll off. This limits the amount of water that can eventually penetrate this outer layer. The next layer is the Drystar® membrane itself. Drystar® is Alpinestars’ house developed waterproofing technology and it is waterproof and breathable. The breathability is important as this allows any sweat or moisture within the jacket to evaporate and keeps you from feeling clammy or like you are wearing a plastic bag. The AMT-10R uses the latest iteration of the Drystar membrane : DrystarXF®. XF stands for Extra FLow, meaning this is going to breath even better than standard Drystar membranes.
Now back to the outer shell. The knees have an additional layer of SuperFabric® overlay. SuperFabric® is a thin layer of hardened plates with tiny gaps between them. This allows the fabric to stay flexible while providing excellent abrasion and cut resistance. The SuperFabric® allows the designers at Alpinestars to use unique patterns with breaks and gaps that are appealing to the eye.
For protection Alpinestars provides Nucleon Flex Pro CE level 2 armor at the knees and Bio-Flex CE level 1 hip armor. This is their thinnest and most breathable and flexible armor for both applications. The pants have two large zippered waterproof hand/cargo pockets near the waist and two additional smaller waterproof pockets of the tops of the lower portion of these pockets. Just above the knee are two large zippered vent panels that can be unzipped and rolled up into the top portion of the pocket for air intake on the front of the pants. The rear of the knee has a Rideknit® panel for stretch and breathability. On the inner knee there are leather overlays for improved grip on the bike.
Moving down the leg ther are accordion panels near the cuff and a long zippered gaiter so you can easily get the pants over your riding boots. Back up at the waist there is more accordion panelling below the full length connection zipper so you get some flexibility around the waist when you move. The fly zipper has a waterproof gaiter behind it and there is a pull tab on the “buckle” that you can pull with one hand and it comes unhooked easily. And since it’s magnetic just get it close and it will line up and close on it’s own! Best of all it is firmly in place when you pull side to side despite this ease of function. When we get items like this that have reinvented something that has been around for thousands of years like a belt we always test them out. Alpinestars has done this many times this year, the “lacing” system of the Alpinestars Turnstone Boot is the first one that comes to mind but they’re innovating in some very interesting ways and it is nice to see that come to market. This belt closure is suprisingly simple and easy to use but holds up under pretty intense side to side force, with just a simple pull popping it open when you actually want it open.
Overall this Alpinestars AMT-10R DrystarXF® line of pants and jacket packs just about every material and feature Alpinestars has in their awesome bag of technology into one garment set. It will exceed just about any expectations you might have on road or trail in any weather. :: Mike, 12/21/2022