Alpinestars Specter Leather Jacket
- Durable premium leather main chassis constructed from 1.0mm – 1.2 mm high grade leather.
- Large accordion stretch panels on rear shoulder aids movement and comfort on the bike.
- Strategically positioned stretch fabric panels on sleeves further improve fit and feel.
- Two zippered front hand pockets for safe storage of small items.
- Subtle black-on-black design provides gives this jacket an elegant, racing aesthetic perfect for the gentleman rider.
- Pre-curved sleeve construction reduces for an improved riding fit and reduced fatigue.
- Strategically positioned localized perforation zones offer excellent ventilation and internal airflow.
- Reflective details make the rider more visible to other road users.
- Low profile collar construction with microfiber comfort edging plus 3D textured fabric inner collar lining for comfort.
- Zippered air-intake vents are positioned for optimized airflow when opened.
- Hook and loop grip waist and cuff adjuster for secure closure.
- Mesh full lining for breathability and comfort.
- Inner waterproof wallet / document pocket for convenient storage of small items.
- Waist connection zipper allows attachment to Alpinestars riding pants.
- Multiple snap button system to integrate the Level 2 CE-certified Alpinestars Nucleon Back protector for use when Tech-Air® is not installed.
- Chest pad and back compartments (Alpinestars Nucleon chest and back pads available as accessory upgrade).
- Level 1-CE certified Alpinestars GP-R protectors: shoulders and elbow.
- Shoulder protection features over-molded advanced TPU guard layered under the outer fabric.
Tech-Air® airbag system compatible
- This jacket is built to accept the Tech-Air® Race Airbag System.
- The vest, purchased separately, installs easily and does not require any external sensors to operate.
- Should it detect a crash, it will deploy a protective airbag, providing unrivaled protection to the rider’s full back, shoulders, kidney area and chest.
- The garment is designed with stretch gussets on the arm and sleeves to accommodate the jacket’s inflated volume without compromising seam strength or material integrity. The jacket’s ergonomic design means that it can be worn without the airbag system for a versatile, personalized fit.
- LED display on sleeve indicating airbag’s operational status, while internal housing located in the built-in CE-certified back protector accommodates the system vest’s ECU.
- Internal hook and loop grip closure fixings plus cable housing seamlessly accommodate the airbag system.
The fit of Alpinestars jackets is generally very predictable. Typically we find these jackets fit sung, but pretty close to the manufacturer’s size chart. But, this jacket is running about one size smaller than normal, so our basic advice would be to buy one size larger than you normally would in an Alpinestars sport style jacket.
I’ve put together the following chart to help you choose a size based upon your chest and belly measurement. For each European size, I’m showing our estimate of max chest and belly.
|Euro Size||Normal Max Chest||Our Estimate of
Max Chest Size (inches)
|Our Estimate of
Max Belly Size (inches)
Sizing Tip for Those Using Upgraded Armor: Adding chest or back armor to this jacket will change the fit. To account for that, I’d advise you to add one inch to your chest measurement if you plan to add any of these Nucleon back protectors: KR-1i/2i/CELLi. If you plan to add the KR-R racing back protector, add 2” (because it is thicker). Add one more inch if you want to add the KR-Ci chest protectors.
The Tech-Air airbag system can be used with this jacket and would be used in place of the back pad and chest protectors. If selecting the air bag system, add 2” to your chest and belly measurements before selecting your jacket size.
Our Two Cents
The new Alpinestars Specter leather jacket offers all the outstanding armor options as their other sport leather jackets but in a more “stealth” style. Subtle logos in matching black leather is the only advertising you’ll be doing! A full armor option list and the capability to use the Tech-Air® airbag system are included.
With regard to fit and comfort, I really like the extensive use of materials that give some stretch. Like most other sport styles, this one has the stretch material in the underarm and down the inside of the sleeve, but beyond that, there is a very large leather accordion panel behind each arm and down the side of the torso. Not only does this give a lot of mobility, it is sharp too. I also like the collar design. Its got a short leather band on the sides, but in back its a flexible and breathable panel. And the collar is banded with some soft neoprene too.
This jacket ought to be comfortable in most times of the year. You can layer underneath with your own thermal gear to have warmth in the winter and in summer, you’ll get some air flow with the two side zippered vents. And the stretch fabric I spoke about on the insides of the arms will flow some air too. There are some perforations on the leather raised pads on the chest, biceps and in back, but those are cosmetic only. So, you should be able to make this jacket comfortable except for the very warm days in summer.
The jacket has a full-around zipper for connection to Alpinestars pants. For night time visibility there are some reflective panels built in (see our night shots in the photo gallery). But those reflective panels are the dark kind so they don’t mess up the stealth motif.
There are a lot of options with regard to armor with this jacket. Firstly, you get CE-certified level 1 shoulders and elbow protectors. This jacket also offers options for chest and back protection capability. There are two chest pad compartments in front and the traditional back pad compartment. You can add chest and back protectors (see the links below). Most will opt for the level one or level 2 back pad available to insert in the back protector pocket in the jacket. The jacket will also work with the KR-R level 2 back protector which is worn on the body. We’ve got good descriptions of the options, so just click through the links below to learn more. The shoulders of this jacket have extra external overlays of a rubberized material to beef up the abrasion resistance (the oval raised area with the Alpinestars logo) and they add a bit of style too.
As if all the armor options weren’t enough, this jacket is compatible with Alpinestars Tech-Air® street air bag system which is an optional air bag vest that is worn under the jacket and replaces the the optional armor mentioned above. See bulleted description above. MORE ON THIS OPTION LATER.
In terms of technology and armor options, this jacket really one of the most sophisticated jackets in our lineup. But you have options as to how far you need to go with the options. :: Paul, 10-30-18
Alpinestars says: Featuring a mapped sports riding fit for precision and comfort, the CE-certified Specter Jacket is constructed from a premium grade leather and incorporates extensive ergonomic four-way stretch fiber inserts which feature a water-repelling treatment for movement and weather performance. With zippered air vents and a removable technical mesh liner with stretch paneling and class-leading protection, the Specter Jacket is also compatible with Alpinestars active airbag technology, Tech-Air®.