Alpinestars Missile V2 Ignition Leather Jacket
The Missile Ignition v2 Leather Jacket delivers optimum abrasion resistance while also offering extensive ventilation thanks to its MATRYX® zones. This jacket has an engineered fit to deliver the highest level of active race protection; this jacket is Tech-Air® ready and can accommodate the new Tech-Air® 5 Airbag System.
- Dynamic Friction Shield (DFS) armor delivers optimal resistance against impacts and abrasion, and offers exceptional friction control
- HRSF stretch inserts for optimal abrasion resistance while ensuring enhanced freedom of movement
- MATRYX® structural panels on the abdomen and back hump
- Dedicated ‘Ignition’ graphic for a striking racing-inspired aesthetic
- Sport fit – highly pre-curved body and arms for enhanced performance
- 1.3mm premium bovine leather for superior abrasion resistance
- CE-certified Nucleon Flex Pro armor at the elbows and shoulders
- Chest compartments can accommodate the Nucleon chest inserts (sold separately)
- Back compartment can accommodate the Nucleon back inserts (sold separately)
- Adjustable snap connection system allows integration of the CE-certified Nucleon Race Back protector
- Two zippered hand pockets
- Perforations for ventilation
- Inner waterproof pocket
- Comfort fabric on the collar
- Fully CE-certified riding garment to CE – Category II prEN17092 standards – AAA class
Read on for more details.
Alpinestars race fit jackets fit very snug and are meant to fit skin tight. Most people will be able to wear the size they normally wear in men’s clothing, but because of the very close fit, we recommend you measure your chest and belly and also consider whether you will be adding full back/chest/tech air vest armor to the jacket since those take up some room.
In the chart below, we list the Euro sizes offered along with the chest estimate. In the first column, we list what max chest is listed in the Alpinestar’s standard size chart, which, by the way is accurate for most street jackets. And then we’ve listed our estimate of max chest for this race fit jacket, which is about one inch smaller across the size range (so about 1/2 size smaller than normal).
Optional armor and fit: This jacket has provisions for optional back and chest armor OR the Tech Air airbag system. If you opt for either one, you’ll have to add about 2” to your chest measurement before choosing a size from the chart.
Measure your chest and belly, add 2” to your chest to account for adding armor or the airbag and then choose a size jacket from the chart that is big enough for both your chest and belly. This jacket has adjusters on the side of the torso to snug down the belly/waist area if you are smaller than the jacket.
|Euro Size||Normal Max Chest||Our Estimate of
Max Chest Size (inches)
|Our Estimate of
Max Belly Size (inches)
Our Two Cents
The Alpinestars Missile Ignition v2 Leather Jacket is a race leather jacket with a TON of features. This jacket has the full host of features to add race-ready armor and it is also Tech-Air compatible (ready for Alpinestars airbag system).
The Missile Ignition v2 is a race cut jacket with nearly every race oriented feature available from Alpinestars. It includes armor fitted into the shoulders and elbows, but also has hard plastic impact sliders on the shoulders and elbows. This jacket has a full leather chassis with panels of perforated leather on the front belly. Also, this jacket has a racing hump on the back, which is a feature found on almost all serious road racing jackets and suits. It adds some aerodynamic benefits but also is a safety feature to provide a bridge between the back of your helmet and your back and shoulders to help prevent neck injuries in a crash.
There is a full-around zipper in the back of the jacket to make the connection with your pants. With race pants attached, you’ll have a 2pc race suit. New MATRYX® structural panels add abrasion resistance and a sleek look to the belly and speed hump on the jacket.
What makes this jacket new and different from the previous Missile Ignition jacket is the original Ignition was made to work with their racing airbag system which plugged into the jacket. The new Missile Ignition v2 works with the Alpinestars Tech-Air® 5 Airbag System which does not need to plug into the jacket and has a streamlined functionality that works with just about any jacket in your riding gear closet given there is enough room for the expansion of the airbag. The accordion panels in the back and shoulders of this jacket will allow the jacket to stretch when the airbag deploys.
This updated jacket is more rider friendly and makes adding an airbag system much less complicated than the original Missile Ignition. If you’re looking for a great track day jacket, this is the one. As Alpinestars put on the chest, they have “One Goal. One Vision.” and that is top level racing performance when it counts. :: Mike, 12-29-21