Alpinestars Caliber Leather Jacket (52 Or 54 Only)
CALIBER LEATHER JACKET
- Premium leather main chassis constructed from 1.0 – 1.2mm bovine leather.
- Strategically positioned stretch panels on sleeves and chest further improve fit and feel.
- Accordion leather stretch inserts on waist, elbow and rear shoulder afford high levels of movement.
- Two zippered hand pockets plus inner waterproof wallet pocket for practicality.
- Embossed logos and direct print graphic details.
- Zippered air intake vents are strategically positioned for optimized airflow when opened.
- Localized perforations for excellent ventilation and internal airflow.
- Low profile collar construction with microfiber comfort edging plus 3D textured fabric inner collar lining for rider comfort.
- Pre-curved sleeve construction reduces fatigue.
- Hook and loop grip cuff adjuster.
- Reflective details to make the rider more visible to other road users.
- Mesh lining for breathability.
- Removable thermal liner for versatility.
- Inner waterproof wallet pocket for peace-of-mind storage.
- Chest pad and back compartments can accommodate the Nucleon chest and back inserts (available as an accessory upgrade).
- Multiple snap button system to integrate the Level 2 CE-certified Alpinestars Nucleon back protector.
- Waist connection zipper allows attachment to Alpinestars riding pants.
- Level 1 CE-certified GP-R shoulder and elbow protectors.
- External Dynamic Friction Shields (DFS) shoulder slider for high levels of abrasion resistance.
- Fully CE-certified riding garment to CE – Category II prEN17092 draft standards – A class.”
This product is sold in European sizes. We measured a selection of these jackets and also tried them on our Fit Check mannequins. The overall sizing of the jackets is pretty much what we expected as compared to other Alpinestars jackets. Normally we find the max chest of Alpinestars jackets to be about 10 points smaller than the Euro size, but this one seems to be cut just a touch smaller… right about 11 points smaller, so a size 56 Euro has a max chest of about 45”. Some of the snugness of this particular jacket comes from having the removable thermal liner installed, but takes up just a bit of room. Without the liner, it fits comparably to other sport/race jackets from Alpinestars.
This jacket, being a sport cut style, has more of a taper from the chest to the waist and it fits close to the body. The taper from the chest to the waist is about 4”. Those with a belly need to be careful about size selection to make sure the jacket will be big enough for both the chest and belly. To choose a size, I’d suggest you measure yourself with a tape and get your chest and belly size. Then you can use the size chart to pick the smallest size jacket that will be big enough for both your chest and belly using the chart below.
Sizing advice for adding option armor: Adding chest or back armor to this jacket will change the fit. To account for that, I’d advise you to add one inch to your chest measurement if you plan to add a back protector before making your size selection from the chart. Add another inch if you want to add the chest protectors.
|Euro Size||Max Chest Size (inches)||Max Belly Size (inches)|
Our Two Cents
The Caliber leather jacket by Alpinestars is a full featured sport/race jacket with creature comforts for the street and also a unique dark brown finish.
This jacket has a feature list which is very similar to Alpinestars top line sport race jackets. It has the same trim cut and pre-curved sleeves, etc. It also has external shoulder armor and a whole host of armor features (see below). But the big diversion from the standard blueprint is the color. It is a VERY dark brown leather. The factory images from Alpinestars show what looks like a tobacco color, but the actual product is darker. In fact, if you don’t look closely, you would probably just assume it is black because of the race feature cut, but the more it sits on my desk the more “brown” it looks. The color will be the defining feature for most buyers. Some will like the idea of something other than black and some won’t. Most who like the color probably won’t be track riders, so, fortunately, Alpinestars included some features to make this jacket suitable for a street rider. The jacket includes a removable full-sleeve thermal liner to give a lot of insulation in the winter. And for warmer weather, there are a pair of zip vents on the sides just under the arm to catch some air in hot weather. Admittedly the venting will only give marginal relief in hotter temps, so I’d recommend this jacket for cold to mild… maybe even warmish weather, but certainly not hot weather.
Even though this jacket is a sport cut, it is surprisingly flexible. It has stretch materials under the arms like most style styles, but then it is LARGE accordion leather units on the back just behind each sleeve which really do a good job.
The armor package here is identical to the other race jackets: The armor included with the jacket is standard molded rubber CE 1 removable type. And there is a pocket to add a back protector. I’ve listed a few options at the bottom of this page to add a back protector. There is a discussion on each of the back protector pages to help you choose the one for you. I’d recommend the lightest of the three, the KR-Celli unit. This jacket is pretty heavy already and you’ll want to minimize added weight. But if you want more protection you can choose one of the other two. You also have the option to add chest armor as well, which is also listed below. Only one option is available for the chest armor. This jacket also has a small snap just under the collar in the back for attachment to Alpinestars many “worn on the body” back protector options. Those are generally favored by people at the track so I doubt the buyer of this jacket will want that, but it is there is you need it.
There is an attachment inside this jacket for pants. It will fit any Alpinestars pant that has the full around zipper. I don’t know of any leather sport pant option in a matching color. All the leather sport pants are black. Maybe in the future? Personally I picture the owner of this jacket wearing armored jeans. One other little unique feature here is the reflective strips on the back of the jacket. The reflective strips have a brown tint to them so they blend in with the rest of the jacket where ordinary units are silver. Neat. :: Paul, 10-21-19