Alpinestars Viper Air V2 Jacket
- Multi-fabric shell construction with mesh panels on chest and back and sleeves for improved cooling performance.
- Waist adjustment for an improved riding fit.
- Volume adjusters on sleeve to reduce material bunching.
- Two zippered hand pockets for real-world practicality.
- Waist connection zipper allows attachment to Alpinestars riding pants.
- Low profile collar construction with microfiber edging plus 3D textured
- fabric on the inner collar lining for high levels of rider comfort.
- Pre-curved sleeve construction reduces riding fatigue.
- Reflective details to make the rider more visible to other road users.
- Waterproof inner pockets for peace-of-mind storage.
- Fully CE-certified riding garment to CE – Category II prEN17092 draft standards – A class.
- Level 1 CE-certified Bio Armor shoulder and elbow protectors for
- Nucleon chest and Level 2 CE-certified Nucleon back inserts, available as an accessory upgrade.
- Chest pad and back compartments are designed to accommodate the Alpinestars Level 1 CE-certified
Read on for more details.
These jackets are sold in US based “alpha” sizes. Alpinestars publishes a super-complicated size chart which can be used to pick a size based upon your chest and waist. We’ve condensed their chart down to make it easy to read (see below).
This jacket is a sport cut, which is designed to fit snug and close to the body. We tried a size Medium and XL on our fit check mannequins Huey and Dewey fit good and look good, but they don’t have much extra room.
If you like a very trim fit, then you’ll like this style in the size you normally wear in men’s clothing, but if you prefer a more “American” fit or you are between sizes, I’d recommend you choose a size larger than you usually wear. And since this jacket has a pretty trim fit, you’ll also want to check your belly (if you have one) and make sure the jacket size you pick is big enough for your mid-section as well as your chest.
Note: If you plan to add back or chest armor you’ll need to add to your measurements before selecting a size from the chart. Add 1” to your chest and back measurement for a back protector and another inch to your chest for a pair of chest protectors.
|Jacket Size||Chest Range||Waist/Belly Range|
|Small||37.5 to 39||31 to 32.5|
|Medium||40 to 41.5||33.5 to 35|
|Large||42 to 43.5||36 to 37.5|
|XL||44.5 to 46||38 to 40|
|XXL||47 to 49||40.5 to 42|
|XXXL||49 to 51||43 to 44.5|
|XXXXL||51.5 to 53||45 to 47|
Our Two Cents
Here is the Alpinestars Viper Air V2 jacket for 2019. This is the third version of this style we’ve seen this decade. It’s a popular style for those who ride in hot weather. It includes a nice set of Bio Armor and back and chest armor can be added.
For a sport rider who wants a full mesh jacket and above-average protection, this is a great choice. It is sharp, comfortable and easy on the budget too. Most of the shell is full mesh so air flows right through. It’s not a waterproof jacket, but to extend the useful range of temps, it comes with a removable windbreaker that covers your torso and arms. It zips inside to block the wind.
Armor options are a strong suit for this jacket. It really is a well armored jacket when you add a back protector and chest pads. For adding a back protector, there are three main options (see below). If you click through to those back protectors, I’ve included a discussion with each to help you choose. For a summer weight mesh jacket like this, I’d steer you to the KR-Celli or maybe the KR-2I. You can also add chest armor in the jacket. One simple choice is available so click the link below. One of the KR back protectors in the jacket and the chest protectors, along with the standard elbows and shoulder armor inserts would give you great overall coverage.
An all-around connection zipper is provided so you can zip this jacket to Alpinestars pants to make a full suit. The Wake Air pants would be a compatible pant choice for the Viper Air V2 jacket. Have a look at our photo gallery see some of the other features. One nice touch is the waterproof pocket accessible just inside the main zipper. You can use that pocket to store the stuff that might get ruined if you find yourself in a shower. :: Paul, 05-07-19
Alpinestars says: With unsurpassed levels of internal climate control thanks to extensive mesh paneling, the Viper v2 Air Textile Jacket incorporates a removable windbreaker which allows riders to adapt it to the weather conditions. Pre-curved sleeves and excellent levels of adjustment mean this jacket is a comfortable option for riders looking for a jacket which can conquer a variety of weather situations.