Alpinestars AST Air V2 Jacket
Offering a personalized sports riding fit, the AST v2 Air Jacket is an exceptionally light and durable jacket featuring a main mesh shell for superior ventilation that is fully optimized for use with or without Tech-Air® 5, Alpinestars world leading electronic airbag safety system.
- Tech-Air® 5 ready; Tech-Air® is the world’s first completely electronic, self-contained, full independent upper body motorcycle airbag system with no bike-to-rider set-up configurations required
- Strategically positioned stretch panel inserts have been designed to accommodate Alpinestars Airbag System, allowing expansion when the airbag inflates but also offering a high level of anatomical performance and a superior fit when riding without the system fitted
- Constructed from hard-wearing 600 Denier poly-fabric and incorporating extensive mesh panels strategically placed on the front, back and arms for optimum airflow performance
- GP Lite on the shoulders for superior abrasion resistance in a key area
- Sleeves feature a pre-curved construction for increased comfort performance in the riding position
- Removable Alpinestars Nucleon Flex protectors in the elbows and shoulders are lightweight, sleek and promote exceptional resistance against impacts
- According to European statutory law the CE mark is a conformity requirement for the marketing of this product. The following standards apply to this product
- Fully CE-certified riding garment to CE – Category II prEN17092 standards – A class
- CE Level 1 EN1621-1:2012 Alpinestars Nucleon Flex shoulder and elbow protectors
- Volume adjustment system on the sleeves incorporates hook and loop adjustments for a highly personalized fit and help maintain the positioning of elbow protector
- Elongated rear profile and hook and loop D-ring waist adjustment for added riding comfort and customization
- External hand pockets are zippered for a safe and secure closure
- Textile comfort edge on collar and cuffs for comfort and moisture-wicking
- Auto locking zippers for durability and safety
- Reflective details
- Chest and back pad compartments (Alpinestars CE-certified Nucleon back and chest protectors available as accessory upgrade)
Read on for more details.
These jackets are sold in US based “alpha” sizes, so selecting a size is basically pretty easy. The size Medium and XL jackets fit Huey and Dewey, our Fit Check mannequins very nicely! Also, we checked several sizes with a tape. We found the sizing to be comparable to standard men’s clothing sizes. So our primary advice would be to choose the size you normally wear in men’s clothing.
Alpinestars publishes a super-complicated size chart which can be used to pick a size based upon your chest and waist. We’ve condensed their chart down to make it easy to read (see below). You can use this size chart to check your own measurements against the size chart to make sure the size you select will work. Choose a size that is big enough for both your chest and belly.
The max waist of a jacket style like this is only a couple inches smaller than the max chest, so the style is very forgiving in case you have a bit of a belly, but don’t be concerned if your belly is smaller than the size listed below because this jacket has effective side waist adjustment straps.
Our Two Cents
The Alpinestars AST Air v2 Jacket is a new mesh option for 2022.
The AST Air v2 is a combination of 600 denier textile and mesh for the best protection and airflow. The mesh panels are on the chest and belly, back, and along the lower arms. The jacket comes with Alpinestars Nucleon Flex CE level 1 armor in the elbows and shoulders which is very flexible and light. Over the shoulder armor there are also GP Lite sections for additional abrasion resistance in this key area. The back and chest protector pockets are accessible via a short zipper at the bottom of the rear of the internal mesh jacket lining (the chest protector pockets are almost impossible to see but easy to find). You can upgrade to CE armor in either the chest or back as well, see the related products below for options. There are also numerous reflective strips on the back, elbows, and chest for great nighttime visibility.
There are two zippered hand pockets on the front of the jacket, 2 internal storage pockets with hook and loop closures, and one waterproof internal napoleon pocket for documents of anything else you don’t want getting wet. The jacket has adjusters at the cuffs, biceps, and the waist so you can snug it down for a more trim fit. The jacket has a small section of stretch material running from the collar, under the arms and back to the shoulder blades. This section allows for easy accommodation of the Tech-Air® 5 system if you wanted to upgrade to an airbag, or it gives you a little more flexibility if you buy a jacket that is a little tight. There are also two belt loop hoops so you can easily connect this jacket to a pair of pants that has a belt to keep the tail down.
Overall this new Alpinestars AST Air v2 jacket is a great update on a classic textile and mesh jacket. It should perform well for sport and urban riders looking to keep cool in hot weather. :: Mike, 07/12/2022