Alpinestars SMX S Boots - 2018
With a durable microfiber upper for comfort and fit and incorporating a host of advanced protective features, inside and out, the SMX-S Boot features an ergonomic forefoot shaping, a breathable lining and Alpinestars’ exclusive rubber compound sole for optimized levels of support and performance.
- Durable microfiber upper construction offering superb levels of flexibility and comfort
- Ergonomic new last for forefoot streamlining to enable greater precision on the bike’s controls and for superior, wide-ranging foot profile, fit and comfort
- New, ergonomically optimized TPU shin plate protector is racederived for superior impact and abrasion resistance
- Lateral TPR-injected ankle support construction offers optimized levels of protection and stability
- TPU double density ankles protectors are layered under the upper in both lateral and medial side for excellent all-round levels of protection
- Breathable textile interior lining features anti-sliding suede reinforcement on heel area
- Integrated, replaceable bi-injected TPU slider features new easy noscrew fixing concept for quicker and easier replacement
- Shift pad made from TPU incorporates technical texturing for protection and grip
- Medial side entry opening/closure system features elastic-mounted zipper with wide velcro closure for flexibility and secure fit. The aperture opening is large to promote easier entry/exit
- Internal toe box protection is layered under the upper for durability, improved feel and performance
- New, dual compound removable anatomic footbed includes EVA and Lycra for performance, comfort and support
- Alpinestars’ new and exclusive compound rubber sole promotes improved feel and grip, water dispersion and durability
- SMX-S Boot is CE certified
Read on for more details.
You can use the chart below to choose a boot and we think the chart is representative of the US shoe conversion. If you’ve determined your size in past Alpinestars sport boots, you’d be safe in choosing the same size as this brand runs pretty consistent from one model to the next (sometimes street and waterproof boots are not consistent however). I’d consider the width of the men’s sizes to be normal to slightly wide (D or E). I’ve always found this style boot easy to fit because the foot has a nice wide toe which is comfortable. Calf size is somewhat adjustable with the closure Velcro.
|Euro||Men’s US||Women’s US|
Our Two Cents
The new SMX S Boots from Alpinestars are an all new and slightly tweaked sport/race boot. These boots have a lot of protective features you’ll find on high end race boots, but just less of the rigid plastic “stiffener” features on the true race boots… those that help to prevent side to side or front to back flex injuries. This boot is made to be more practical and comfortable for everyday street use or amateur racing. Think of it is a full-on race boot lite.
The new features I see on this this boot are 1) the new new “dual density” protection on either side of the ankle, 2) the new cut to the toe area, 3) the elasticated main zipper arrangement, and 4) an anti-slip fabric added to the interior of the heel cup. The protection foam on the sides of the ankle are now a dual density soft material rather than the hard round discs that we’ve seen in the past. The softer armor is, uh “soft” and will no doubt be more foolproof in terms of break in. The boots meet the CE certification requirements. The new “cut” to the toe area is subtle and hard to spot just looking, but when I try these on, I find that the toe flexes more easily behind the shift protector. In past designs that shift protector took some break in because it is stiff and would tend to dig into the top of your forefoot when walking, but these flex easily and are very comfortable right out of the box. It’s kind of a tiny thing, but Alpinestars is using a zipper arrangement where one side of the main zipper is sewn to the boot with a 1/2” stretch elastic piece. This makes the boots a little more forgiving to fit different thicknesses of feet and also it flexes at the ankle more readily. And the fourth new thing I see is the addition of some suede-like material to line the heel cup rather than the entire interior of the boot being lined with the usual, more slippery material. This will help hold your heel in place when you walk, particularly when the boots are new and still very stiff in the ankle and sole areas.
Other features are “customary” with a sport/race style boot like this and well documented in the list of features from Alpinestars. Our photo gallery will help you see those things as well showing you the overall height and heel height, so take a look! With the new subtle upgrades listed above, combined with the usual top quality build and materials you get with Alpinestars, I think you’ll really like this boot and you’ll be surprised how comfortable they are! :: Paul, 10-06-17