Alpinestars T-Missile Drystar Jacket
- Multifabric shell construction incorporating advanced poly-textile and stretch fabric for performance and comfort
- Large stretch accordion panels on scapulae area for Tech-Air compatibility and help movement and comfort on the bike
- Accordion on sleeves for Tech-Air compatibility
- Stretch elbow accordion help movement and comfort on the bike
- Stretch panels for further improved fit and feel
- Hook and loop strap on waist adjustment for improved riding fit
- Two zippered hand pockets
- Waist connection zipper allows attachment to Alpinestars riding pants
- Embroidery logos and direct print graphic details
- Zippered air intake vents are strategically positioned for optimized airflow when opened
- Low profile collar construction with 3D textured comfort fabric on inner collar lining
- Pre-curved sleeve construction reduces fatigue
- Reflective details
- Padded areas on front and back
- Chest pad and back compartments (Alpinestars Level 1 CE certified Nucleon chest and Level 2 CE certified Nucleon back inserts available as accessory upgrade)
- Microfiber comfort edge on collar and cuffs
- Front inner waterproof pocket
- Level 1 CE-certified Bio Armor shoulder and elbow protectors
- Dynamic Friction Shield (DFS) external dual density TPU sliders on shoulders
- CE 89/686/EEC
- Tech-Air® race vest compatible
Read on for more details.
These jackets are sold in US based “alpha” sizes, so selecting a size is basically pretty easy. For most people, you would choose the size you normally wear in men’s clothing. Alpinestars publishes a super-complicated size chart which can be used to pick a size based upon your chest and waist. We’ve condensed their chart down to make it easy to read (see below). The waist is adjustable with Velcro tabs. Overall this should be a very easy style to fit.I found the taper from chest to waist of these jackets to be on the sporty side, but not so much that it won’t work for most people. So if you have a bit of a belly, please check to make sure that the size you pick will be big enough for both your chest and belly. Example: an XL is a 46” max chest and the max belly would be about 42”.
|Jacket Size||Chest Range||Max Belly|
|Small||37.5 to 39||35|
|Medium||40 to 41.5||37|
|Large||42 to 43.5||40|
|XL||44.5 to 46||42|
|XXL||47 to 49||45|
|XXXL||49 to 51||47|
|XXXXL||51.5 to 53||49|
About sizing when accessory armor is used: I’d recommend you add 1” to your chest and belly measurements if you plan on adding the chest pads and the KR-1i back pad, which will be most peoples upgrade choice. If you want to add the KR-2I back pad, add 2”. The Tech-Air airbag system can be used with this jacket and would be used in place of the back pad and chest protectors. If selecting the air bag system, add 2” to your chest and belly measurements before selecting your jacket size.
Our Two Cents
The T-Missile Drystar jacket is a fully armored sport street jacket and is also Tech-Air® race vest compatible.
This jacket is made waterproof with a built-in Drystar liner. The liner is installed permanently between the jacket’s outer shell and inner mesh liner and it should do a great job and keeping you dry in wet weather. I’d recommend this jacket for mild to colder weather though. The Drystar liner will block wind and rain, but won’t breath a lot. There are a couple zip vents in the chest which will give you some comfort in warmer days, but this jacket won’t be so comfortable in hot summer weather. But since it has the wind-block capability, you could easily layer underneath it with your own garments to make it comfortable in cold weather. So overall, lets say three seasons along with the wet days for this one.
The armor system is where this jacket (and many other new styles for 2018) really shines. Firstly, you get CE-certified level 1 Bio Armor shoulders and elbow protectors. This jacket also includes chest and back protection capability. There are two chest pad compartments in front and the traditional back pad compartment. The jacket comes standard with thin foam “place holder” armor pieces, but you can upgrade those with CE certified units (see the links below). Most will opt for the level one back pad although there is a level 2 back pad available as well. We’ve got good descriptions of both, so just click through the links to consider those options. The shoulder armor capability of this jacket is beefed up with external hard plastic protectors on the outside of the jacket. These protectors will add hard impact protection and also they add the sport styling.
As if that weren’t enough, this jacket is compatible with Alpinestars Tech-Air® street air bag system which is an optional air bag vest that is worn under the jacket and replaces the the optional armor mentioned above. MORE ON THIS OPTION LATER.
This is a slim fit sport style, but it moves well on your body. Take a look at the expansion panels above the elbow and also behind the shoulders. And the expansion material even extends down the side of the torso. The expansion panels allow good movement even with the sport cut of this jacket. They are also included to work with the Tech-Air airbag system. That air bag needs some room to inflate in case you ever have the need. :: Paul, 05-29-18