Alpinestars Jaws Perforated Jacket - 2017 (Size 48 Only)
- Durable 1.2 / 1.4 leather outer construction
- Perforated paths for maximum ventilation
- Removable CE-certified Bio-Armor shoulders and elbow protectors
- Chest and back pad compartments with PE padding (Alpinestars Nucleon chest pads available as accessory upgrade)
- Strategically placed poly-fabric stretch panels helps movement and comfort on the bike
- Pre-curved sleeve construction
- Elbow and rear accordions for increased comfort in riding position
- Multi panels liner construction to improve comfort.
- Removable thermal liner
- Soft collar construction with snap button volume adjuster for an optimized comfort
- Velcro® and D-Ring waist adjustment for improved riding fit
- Velcro® wrist adjustment for improved riding fit
- Reflective detailing on sleeve and back to improve rider visibility
- 2 zippered chest air intake vents
- 2 zippered hand pockets
- Inner waterproof wallet pocket
- Microfiber comfort edge on collar and cuffs
- Embroidered logos
- Waist connection zipper allows attachment to Alpinestars riding pants
The fit of Alpinestars jackets is generally very predictable. Typically we find these jackets fit more snug than other brands, but pretty close to the manufacturer’s size chart. But, with these Jaws jackets we are finding the fit to run MUCH SMALLER than normal.
Generally speaking, we find these jackets to be about one size smaller than normal in the small end of the size range, about one and a half sizes small in the mid range and about two sizes small in the largest jackets.
I’ve put together the following chart to help you choose a size based upon your chest and belly measurement. For each European size, I’m showing our estimate of max chest and belly.
|Euro Size||Normal Max Chest||Our Estimate of
Max Chest Size (inches)
|Our Estimate of
Max Belly Size (inches)
Optional back armor and fit: This jacket is supplied with a removable foam back pad and foam chest pads as standard. Alpinestars offers optional armor for the back and chest which are shown below. The idea is that you would use the more substantial armor in place of the standard foam pieces. The upgraded armor is thicker, and therefore you will probably need a jacket that is about one size bigger than you might normally buy. If you are seriously considering buying the armor also, I’d suggest you buy the armor and jacket at the same time, so you can solve the fit issue while you still have a return/exchange option.
Our Two Cents
The 2017 Alpinestars Jaws jackets get a styling makover. The technical specs of the jackets are very much like other leather sport jackets in the Alpinestars lineup… here are some of the highlights: substantial CE armor for the shoulders and elbows, as well as foam padding for the back and the chest. This padding can be replaced with upgraded armor (see below) for even more protection. Another very nice touch is molded external armor on the shoulders. Stretch panels are found behind the elbows and shoulders for comfort in the riding position. We found this jacket to have an aggressive, race inspired fit, which feels great while on the bike, but may feel a bit restrictive when just walking around because the arms are rotated forward and pre-curved for the riding position. These jackets are supplied with a full circumference zipper for connection to Alpinestars pants and you could easily create a very nice two piece suit.
The Jaws is offered in two versions… a solid leather version and a perforated version. Those who will ride in warmer weather frequently will appreciate the extra air flow from the perfs. On the flip side, if you frequently ride in cold weather, the solid leather version would be the choice. Both versions come with a removable thermal liner to help you widen the comfort range. Both versions have a couple zip vents on the front shoulder area to help a bit with air flow in to the jacket shell. Overall, another very nice sport jacket choice from Alpinestars. The jacket also includes generous nighttime reflectivity. See our photo gallery for the “night shots” Just click the “Images” link above to see those and some close ups of the other features I’ve mentioned. :: Paul, 08-31-16
Happy Customers Who Bought This Product
Just got my Alpinestars Jaws jacket, very high quality jacket. It only took a day from the time I ordered, very happy with this purchase and the price. Time to head out for a ride Anthony D