FirstGear Kathmandu Overpants - 2012
- Hypertex™ waterproof & breathable outer shell, constructed of 420 denier rip-stop nylon and 300 denier high density nylon, durable and lightweight for ease of movement
- Overpant is sized to fit over your clothes; simply buy the size you normally wear
- Fully adjustable d3o™ T5 CE armor in the hips and knees delivers the same protection as standard CE foam armor, but is thinner and more flexible, resulting in a more comfortable, flexible fit
- Back of waist yoke, crotch, inner thigh and knee back features waterproof & breathable stretch fabric that adds flexibility and reduces binding
- Chamude suede knee patches minimize tank scratches
- 10-1/2” diagonal thigh vents catch the air when open and keep out the elements using YKK® #5 rubberized zippers – vents can be held open by folding the cover inward to hook and loop closure
- Integrated short bib and suspenders that can be easily removed to your preference
- Insulated 2/3 length pant liner that is easily detachable
- Includes 10” pant-to-jacket full conjunction zipper that attaches to your jacket
- One time adjustable waist held in place by hook-and-loop closure
- Above the knee YKK® #5 two-way zipper easily fits over boots–protected by an exterior storm flap with rain gutter to keep out moisture
- Knee and leg opening now enlarged to fit over off-road boots
- Two front flap pass-through pocket openings for gaining access to internal pockets–protected by YKK® rubberized zippers to keep moisture out
- One right thigh cargo pocket for storage with seam sealed pocket bag to keep moisture out
- Internal storm gaiter with silicone grip and elasticized for a snug fit to keep moisture from traveling up pant leg
- Waterproof and breathable, zippered, fly-wide gusset for easy on/off
FirstGear Pant Promo, Triple Loyalty Credits for a Limited Time! Enjoy a Triple sized Loyalty Gift Card with the purchase of these pants (rebate shown below is triple size the “normal”). This promo will end August 31st, so hurry!
Read on for more details.
We tried these pants on our Fit Check mannequins and we also measured the waist and inseam in each size. If you take the “View Larger Images” link above, you will see that the size 34 fit Huey very well over his 34 jeans… just how an overpant is supposed to. And the waist sizes measure out correctly for an overpant… just slightly larger than the stated size. There are Velcro tabs on the waist that allow you to cinch down by a lot if necessary. The inseams matched up with FirstGear’s 2012 sizing guidelines. Here is their chart:
|Pant Size||Regular Inseam||Short Inseam||Tall Inseam|
So our advice is to buy the size you normally wear in men’s jeans. If you are between sizes, go up. If you have a bit of a belly, and are at all borderline on the size, go up (because these pants are high waisted). Overall, it should be an easy fit.
Our Two Cents
You can let your adventure continue with the Kathmandu textile overpants for 2012. If I were choosing an overpant that could “do it all” (except for hot weather), I’d choose these. The pants have the same features as the namesake jacket: waterproof shell, removable thermal liner, lots of storage, etc, but the feature I personally like the most is suspenders. The reason is that overpants with liners, armor, gear in pockets, etc get heavy, and if you rely on the tightness of the waist to hold all that up when off the bike, it gets uncomfortable. So with suspenders, you can wear the pants at a comfortable tightness and not have to continually tug at them to keep them in place. And the bigger your belly relative to your waist, the more you’ll appreciate the physics of the situation I’m talking about here :). I know, they are not for everybody, so happily, FirstGear made them removable. Like I said, these will be the “do it all” pants especially for long distance touring riders or commuters. Those riding back and forth to work could easily protect their street clothes from the elements and easily step into and out of these pants at work (without having to find a place to change clothes). Two other neat features worth a mention…. the armor in these pants is adjustable for height and position, and there are two side pockets that allow you to reach the pants pockets of your jeans or pants. That makes it so you don’t have to transfer your wallet, keys, etc from your street clothes to these pants when you suit up. We took a boat load of close-up feature photos of these pants. View those by taking the “View Larger Images” link above. Two thumbs up on this product! :: Paul, 12-12-11
Update: FirstGear just came out with a video demonstrating the amazing properties of D30 armor.