Alpinestars GP Plus R Jacket
- Highly durable and technical premium 1.3 leather, multi-panel construction for superb abrasion resistance, with reinforced stitching for optimum tear resistance in the event of an impact
- Alpinestars race‐derived, CE‐approved Bio-Armor shoulder and elbow protectors
- Dual density, advanced polymer shoulder sliders are ergonomically incorporated into garment’s sport styling design for added abrasion resistance
- Chest and back pad compartments with PE padding (CE-certified Nucleon inserts sold separately)
- Advanced microfiber accordion stretch inserts on rear for an excellent fit optimized for all styles of riding
- Accordion leather stretch panels on elbows allow greater range of movement
- Extensive poly-fabric stretch panels under the arms helps keep jacket sleeves positioned close to rider’s body
- Perforated padded panels integrated into main shell and sleeves for improved fit
- Pre-curved sleeve construction helps reduce riding fatigue and prevent material bunching
- Combination Velcro® and zipper wrist closures for secure and customized fit
- Velcro® and D‐ring waist adjustments ensure highly customized fit and secures jacket in position
- Alpinestars exclusively developed Dynamic Flow Control (DFC) ventilation inlets on shoulders are zippered to allow efficient regulation of interior temperature
- Soft 3D mesh collar construction plus 3D mesh cuff edging for improved comfort and breathability
- Mesh liner construction for improved breathability, comfort and ventilation
- External, large-opening front hand pockets are zippered for peace-of-mind closure
- Multiple internal compartment pockets feature Velcro® for additional security
- Interior waterproof wallet pocket for safe storage of documents/electronics
- Waist connection zipper allows attachment to Alpinestars riding pants
- Premium YKK® zippers used throughout garment for durability
- Reflective detailing for improved rider visibility
Read on for more details.
This product is sold in European sizes. You can choose a European size based upon your US chest size using Alpinestars’ sizing chart. Basically the estimated US chest size of a jacket is 10 points lower than the European size. If you know your suit size, or can measure your chest, then you can choose a jacket size based on this.
Using the size charts, we chose a size 52 for Huey and a 56 for Dewey. The fit is snug, but appropriate for a jacket style like this. You can see how those jackets fit by taking the “View Larger Images” link above.
This jacket has a trim, sport cut to it for sport riding. If you use the chart, you’ll get a very snug fit which most consider to be appropriate for sport riding.
For those who may have a bit of a belly, we encourage you to consider our estimated max belly sizes listed below. Choose a jacket size that will accommodate both your chest and your belly.
|Euro Size||Max Chest Size (inches)||Max Belly Size (inches)|
Our Two Cents
Alpinestars’ GP Plus R Jacket is sold in two versions, the solid leather version (with small zippered venting) sold on this product page, and it also comes in a part-perforated version (see the link below). Both have the same MSRP and both have a very similar feature list, so my review here can be used for both versions.
Last year, we added the Jaws jackets to our site. These are very similar styles… both are full-on sport jackets for sport or racing, both are an all leather style, with plentiful armor upgrade capability. They look a bit different, but the big difference I see in the two styles is the fit. The Jaws runs very small… much like a one piece race suit, where the GP Plus R styles are more for street riders who want a bit more room and flexibility and comfort while not in the riding position. For sure these jackets are sporty… but at the same time they are practical for everyday street use. I’m noticing a few little upgrades/changes with this style I haven’t seen before. The shoulder, elbow and back armor pieces are secured in pockets inside the jacket, but the pockets seem to be attached better inside the jacket. It is a minor tailoring thing, but I noticed it. As I mentioned, this style comes in a solid leather and a partial perf. The solid leather version has a couple SMALL shoulder zip vents to push some air in, but by and large, that style is best for colder to mild/warm weather. The partial perf version will admit some air which will raise the temp range that you will be most comfortable with… say, mild to warm weather. Neither style comes with a removable thermal liner, so you’ll be using your own clothes for layering purposes. (And I see they are priced less than the comparable Jaws by about fifty bucks). Like all the other Alpinestars sport jackets I’ve seen in the last year or so, this one comes with shoulder and elbow armor of course, and also a simple foam back pad and chest pads. Both the back pad and chest pads can be upgraded (take the links below). And if you really want to get serious with the back protection, the jacket has snaps to hold in either a Bionic Race back protector or a Nucleon KR-R back protector (you can see those snaps in the photo of the liner). The jackets will zip to Alpinestars pants with a full around zipper. They both have night reflectives, and you can see those “night shots” by taking the “View Larger Images” link above. I’ve also included some shots of the other “expected” features such as waist adjusters, cuff closures and pockets. Overall, these are very nice VERY HEAVY DUTY full-on leather sport jackets with a TON of armor options. It really doesn’t get any better than this in my view, and I’m still seeing the very highest quality from Alpinestars in these products. :: Paul, 03-07-14