Alpinestars T-GP Plus R v2 Air Jacket - 2017
- Constructed from a highly durable and abrasion resistant 450/600 Denier polyester fabric
- Extended mesh panels on the torso and arms
- Full mesh lining boosts garment’s all-round airflow capabilities and breathability
- Lightweight CE certified elbow and shoulder protectors
- Chest and back pad compartments with PE foam padding (CE certified Nucleon chest and back protectors available as accessories)
- Snap button system to integrate the Level 2 CE certified Alpinestars Nucleon Back protector
- Newly developed shoulder protection features over-molded advanced TPU guard layered under the outer fabric
- All protections are perforated and securely housed in mesh compartments to significantly increase garment’s air flow performance
- Sport fit with pre-curved sleeve construction for reduced fatigue and enhanced riding comfort
- Strategically positioned poly-fabric stretch insert on shoulders for excellent flex fit
- 3D mesh collar construction for improved comfort and breathability
- Velcro and D-ring waist adjustments
- Velcro wrist cuff closures
- Convenient waterproof internal pocket
- External, large-opening front hand pockets are zippered for peace-of-mind closure
- Multiple internal compartment pockets feature velcro closures for additional security
- Waist connection zipper allows attachment to Alpinestars riding pants
- Reflective details for improved rider visibility
Read on for more details.
These jackets are sold in US based “alpha” sizes. For many years, Alpinestars jackets were very predictable and the size chart was a fair representation of fit. But this jacket (a “v2 2017” version) fits smaller than before and smaller than Alpinestars chart by about one size. Most people will be able to choose one size larger than normal and get a good fit. The general cut of this jacket is sporty and trim… some might call it a “European fit”. It will work well on those with an average or trim build, but will be a harder fit for heavy or stocky builds.
I’ve put together the size chart below to help hone in on the sizing. You can measure your chest and belly and check it against this chart to help confirm the size. Choose a jacket size that is big enough for both your waist and belly. The waist is adjustable so don’t be concerned if your belly is several inches less than what is listed here.
|Jacket Size||Max Chest||Max Belly|
Our Two Cents
For 2017 Alpinestars has introduced the “v2” version of their long running T-GP Plus R Air jacket. The styling has been updated as compared to the version we reviewed in 2014 and there are a couple feature enhancements.
This style is one that gives you comfort in hot weather, sharp styling, simple construction, and better-than-most crash protection. The shell is made of a combination of textile and mesh, but there is plenty of the mesh used to allow a lot of air flow and therefore we are going to call this a summer/mesh style. You can see the areas of mesh if you take the “View Larger Images” link above. And even though the jacket is not a full-mesh design, I think it will work very well in the hottest weather because the solid textile areas are pretty lightweight material as well.
This style’s strong suit is Alpinestar’s protection options, which are more comprehensive than any other maker of sport jackets (that we sell anyway). This v2 jacket has upgraded shoulder and elbow protectors. They call them “Bio Air” and rather than being a more or less solid molded piece, they have a honeycomb construction that allows lots of airflow (see the pic in our photo gallery), but they are lighter than the solid molded ones and are CE level 2 certified (as compared to level 1 with the older version of armor). The jacket has pockets which give you the option to add additional protectors in the chest and back. Thin pads come installed in those pockets from the factory (which are more or less placeholders). The pockets give you the option to upgrade if you want more protection (see below). With an upgraded back protector and the chest pads, you’ll have more armor than you can put in any other mesh jacket we sell.
To connect this jacket to any of the Alpinestars pants, there is a long zipper connection (better than the short rear zip most other brands provide). Another nice feature is a waterproof chest pocket, which might come in handy if you get caught in the rain with a wallet/cell phone, especially in a non-waterproof jacket like this. Like other Alpinestars products, the overall quality is top notch and the tailoring looks expensive.
Overall, a very nice style for those that want a sporty jacket for hot weather use… and one with upgraded protection features that go beyond what you generally see with other brands. :: Paul, 03-14-17
Note on optional back pad selection: Yes, Alpinestars has added a little snap near the collar to anchor the top of the KR-R back protector, but I’d recommend the less large and less complicated KR-1i version that installs in the jacket’s back armor pocket. I just don’t think the shell of this jacket is substantial enough or even long enough to make the bigger back pad work… BUT it is there if you want to go for it.