Alpinestars SMX-1 Air Gloves
- Constructed with a durable goat leather chassis and strategically positioned 3D mesh inserts on the top hand for an optimized level of comfort, durability and internal airflow
- Thumb and palm reinforcement offers excellent grip on the controls while giving greater seam protection and durability
- Newly developed, innovative stretch insert between palm and thumb provides excellent fit and enhanced range of movement and control
- Suede reinforcements on the outer hand are backed with foam padding for abrasion resistance
- Molded hard knuckle protection constructed from nylon compound for high levels of protection, strength, weight-saving and durability
- Palm, outer thumb and backhand are padded with energy-absorbing EVA foam for abrasion resistance and impacts
- Sonic welded TPR finger sliders for impact and abrasion resistance
- Velcro® cuff closure with TPR puller for safe and secure closure
- Suede reinforced fingertips for sensitivity and control
- Stretch mesh fourchettes for fit, flexibility and airflow
- Touchscreen compatible fingertip for use with GPS and smartphone devices
- Pre-curved finger construction for fit and reduction in rider fatigue
The fit of Alpinestars gloves are very consistent from one model to the next. And overall, they fit a bit small as compared to other brands we carry such as FirstGear, Tour Master, etc. It’s not enough to recommend that you buy a larger size (especially if a snug fit is preferred) but it is noticeable enough to say that if you are sometimes between sizes, then you should probably choose the larger of the two. Hopefully you’ve had some experience with buying gloves and can choose based upon the fit of a previous pair. If you have no previous experience with glove sizing, go here for help.
Our Two Cents
These SMX-1 Air gloves are a short cuff, summer weight style for street riders that have a bit more protection than most. The back of the hand has a very nice floating knuckle armor protection piece. It is nicely padded on the back side which makes it very comfortable when you make a fist.
The rest of the glove on the top side of the hand is largely mesh material, and there is a slightly different type of mesh between the fingers. With all that mesh, these gloves will be great for hot weather use. The palm area is mostly leather with synthetic suede reinforcements in the heel of the hand and also wrapping around the side of the pinkie. There is some extra padding in the heel of the hand.
Overall, very nice summer gloves but with more significant armor protection than most styles. The price is reasonable too! :: Paul, 03-28-16
Happy Customers Who Bought This Product
Amazing airflow and solid feeling protection. One concern is that the Velcro that secures the glove to the wrist has a tendency to snag the textile material on the glove, leading to some fraying and early wear.
This is the third pair of Alpinestars gloves that I have owned. They are very well made and have a great look. The only issue that I am having is size. (Read more...)