Alpinestars SMX-6 Boots - 2014
- Durable hi-tech microfiber upper construction offering superb levels of flexibility
- Ergonomic new last for forefoot streamlining and superior fit and comfort
- Innovative TPU lateral ankle brace protection provides biomechanical support between lateral top calf/shin and ankle and offers improved structural integrity, protection against impact shocks, repeated abrasion resistance and flex support
- Alpinestars’ new and exclusive compound rubber sole promotes improved feel and grip, water dispersion and durability
- Air vents on the heel counter and shin plate plus breathable mesh inserts (vented versions only) improve comfort and reduce fatigue on short and long rides
- High modulus TPU injected shin guard, calf protector, heel counter, shift pad and lateral ankle brace for improved shock protection and durability
- Double density ankle protector on medial side layered under the upper offers protective performance in key area
- Integrated, replaceable bi-injected TPU slider features new easy screw fixing concept for quicker and easier replacement.
- Innovative instep and Achilles accordion flex zone construction for superior comfort, control and support
- Internal insole with the shank reinforcement integrated for added support to the arch area
- Medial side entry opening/closure system features elastic-mounted zipper with wide Velcro® closure; Velcro tab locks the zip pull closed, keeping it flat and secure
- Wide opening aperture for ease of access
- Internal toe box protection is layered under the upper
- Breathable textile interior lining features anti-sliding suede reinforcement on heel area
- New dual compound removable anatomic footbed includes EVA and Lycra for performance, comfort and support
- The SMX-6 boot is CE certified
Read on for more details.
You can use the chart below to choose a boot and we think the chart is representative of the US shoe conversion. If you’ve determined your size in past Alpinestars sport boots, you’d be safe in choosing the same size as this brand runs pretty consistent from one model to the next (sometimes street and waterproof boots are not consistent however). I’d consider the width of the men’s sizes to be normal to slightly wide (D or E). I’ve always found this style boot easy to fit because the foot has a nice wide toe which is comfortable. Calf size is somewhat adjustable with the closure Velcro.
|Euro||Men’s US||Women’s US|
Our Two Cents
I’ve always thought a boot with sliders should have features that could cover sport riders but at least those who do some amateur racing. The predecessor to this boot was the S-MX 5 and while it did look like a race boot, it tended more toward a sport street style. This new boot offers some features that are closer to a full-on race boot. But what I like about this one is the styling and also the ease of use. More complex boots are sometimes more trouble… they have various adjustments, laces, etc that make them “less easy” to use. I realize that a true race rider won’t care about time and convenience, but MOST of us don’t race and will probably want a boot that is practical for everyday sport riding. You want something that has a LOT of protection, but you also want something you’ll enjoy using. The styling of this boot is better I think. It has