Alpinestars SMX Plus V2 Vented Boots
- Advanced microfiber upper construction for lightweight high performance protection and superb levels of flexibility.
- Front flex area is constructed with a soft microfiber for improving abrasion resistance and natural forwards and backwards movement.
- Flexible accordion microfiber on Achilles gives enhanced natural movement.
- Strategically positioned ventilation area in heel and shin TPU for breathability and airflow.
- Outside entry/exit has stretchable accordion panel for a close fit and ease of entry and removal. Contoured high modulus shin plate protector gives superior impact and abrasion resistance.
- An evolution of Alpinestars unique Multi-Link Control system provides advanced external protection and support for ankle articulation, limiting hyper-torsion, hyper-extension and hyper-flexion as well as providing Achilles and ankle impact protection.
- Wide heel counter with lateral ventilation extends to the ankle and is combined with a shock absorbing padded insert and self-molding ankle protectors.
- SMX Plus v2 boot is CE-certified to EN 13634:2017.
- Dual density TPU replaceable toe slider with screw-in assembly providing protective coverage around the outer toe area.
- Replaceable heel slider and external side heel slider are positioned to dissipate and absorb shock and promote sliding during an accident.
- Large front and rear asymmetrical accordion zones are optimized to maximize flexibility for maximum comfort and improved safety.
- Micro adjustable ratchet top closure stows tab end.
- Advanced synthetic forefoot lining, laminated with open cell foam for shock absorption and highly breathable lining in ankle and leg areas for comfort.
- Alpinestars anatomical and replaceable countered EVA footbed provides arch support and forefoot pedal feeling.
- Durable sole, designed for improved riding feel, features evenly textured rubber for consistent grip.
- Inner instep speed lacing closure and unique lateral zipper offer precise and secure fit.
- Alpinestars Lace-Lock System is constructed from an advanced polymer resin to guarantee a quick, precise and secure closure.
- Hook and loop tap locks the zip pull close, keeping in flat and safe.
Read on for more details.
The overall fit/size of this new style seems “true” to their published size chart (see below), so if you are comfortable with a certain size from previous boots, then choose the same size. I’d consider the width of the men’s sizes to be normal to slightly wide (D or E). As compared to other brands of race boots, Alpinestars are the most “roomy” through the foot and toe area. If you are between sizes in the chart, I’d suggest trying the smaller.
|Euro||Men’s US||Women’s US|
Our Two Cents
The SMX Plus V2 is a new updated version of the long running SMX Plus boot line. We saw the last version of this boot introduced in 2016 which itself was an update of the previous model. This new “V2” version is another “refresh” of the same basic design. Just at a glance, you’d think they were the same boot as before, but if you look closer, virtually very component of the boot is reworked to some degree. Alpinestars and their racers obviously like the basic design, so they’ve obviously been busy perfecting it.
This “V2” boot is available in two versions… one is simply called the SMX Plus V2 and then there is a vented version called the SMX Plus V2 Vented. Take the link below to view the other version. Both are basically the same boot, but the vented version has perforated upper materials used in strategic places instead of solid material on the standard boot. Choose the vented if you think you’ll be riding in mild to hot weather conditions. And choose the solid if you’ll be riding in colder to mild (or possibly warm) conditions.
The basic fitting of the boot remains unchanged, and we like it! Inside, this boot is a “bootie” with its own set of laces. It helps you get a good fit over your ankle and instep, which is very helpful in a side zip boot because the basic zip-close setup doesn’t allow for adjustment, but with the internal bootie, those with wider or skinnier legs and feet and get the fit they want. The same advantages apply to the top of the boot. It closes with a ratchet mechanism that gives a very wide range of fit and will accommodate those with bigger calves too.
With the side zipper, internal laces and upper ratchet, you’d think they’d be a pain to put on and take off, but it’s quite the opposite. The speed laces work very well and quickly as does the top ratchet. And one other thing that helps with fit and comfort… the side zipper on the boot is attached to a narrow panel of stretch material which helps when pulling up the zipper. It makes the boot snug, but a bit flexible so you don’t have to sort of tease the zipper sides together with your hands as you try to zip them up (as you sometimes do with rigidly affixed zippers).
The boots, of course, have full-on racing features but are comfortable and functional so they could be used for sport/street riding as well. There is a substantial amount of protection on either side of the ankle and heel and also in the shin area. The “Multi Link” control is a series of external plastic pieces that slide and pivot to allow movement in some directions (for shifting, walking, etc) but restrict movement in unfavorable directions (those that cause injury). Most race boots today have similar systems. With past versions of the Multilink, we heard from folks who said they squeak when they walk. So far, with this new model, I don’t hear that characteristic squeak, so fingers crossed they worked it out.
I really like the rounded shape of the heel assembly. The idea of a design like this is to promote a sliding motion during a fall. Boots that have a more traditional heel shape are more likely to hang up on something (on the ground) while sliding along and wrench the ankle.
With so many versions and so many miles on this boot design, I think it is safe to say it is a solid product and you can buy with confidence. :: Paul, 09-18-19
Alpinestars says: The SMX Plus v2 Boot perfectly blends sleek sports styling with advanced protection features developed in Alpinestars performance footwear department. The durable and light microfiber upper is reinforced with a rugged polymer protector and the exclusive Multi-Link Control (MLC) system prevents ankle torsion while offering freedom of movement.