Klim Baja S4 Pant
- SCHOELLER®-DYNATEC® HIGH TENACITY NYLON MESH MAIN CHASSIS
- MAPPED CHASSIS MATERIALS FOR MESH, DURABILITY, STRETCH IN KEY LOCATIONS
- KARBONITE™ MICROMESH 4-WAY STRETCH 1000D CORDURA® IN STRETCH ZONES
- STRETCH WOVEN MATERIAL FULLY POROUS FOR AIRFLOW SUPERFABRIC® ON KNEES
- DESIGNED TO KIT WITH ENDURO S4 PANT FOR COOL/WET WEATHER
- PERFORATED GOAT LEATHER ON INSIDE OF KNEES FOR GRIP/PROTECTION
- 3M™ SCOTCHLITE™ C790 CARBON BLACK REFLECTIVE MATERIAL
- BIOMOTION RECOGNITION
- DURABLE 750D CORDURA® FABRIC FOR CARGO POCKETS, CUFFS, WAIST •CE AA RATING CERTIFIED TO prEN 17092-3
- D3O® CE LEVEL 1 LP1 VENTED ADJUSTABLE KNEE ARMOR
- D3O® CE LEVEL 1 LP1 VENTED HIP ARMOR
- REMOVABLE ARMOR PADS
- KLIMATEK™ COOLING MESH IN KNEE ARMOR PAD POCKETS
- FULL TIME CHASSIS VENTILATION THROUGH SCHOELLER®-DYNATEC® MESH PANELS
- AIR PERMEABILITY THROUGH KARBONITE™ MICROMESH STRETCH ZONES
- PROVIDES AIRFLOW AT ALL SPEEDS
- 2 BILLOWED THIGH CARGO POCKETS
- ENDURO S4 PANT COMPATIBLE AS OVERSHELL
- COMFORT MAPPED MESH LINER FOR UNRESTRICTED AIRFLOW
- MOISTURE-WICKING ANTIMICROBIAL POLYGIENE® ANTI-ODOR LINER
- ZIPPER/SNAP ADJUSTABLE CUFF
- ADJUSTABLE WAIST
- 2 QUICK-ADJUST CALF STRAPS
- JACKET-PANT ZIP CONNECTION
- FITS OVER OFF-ROAD BOOTS
I measured a selection of these pants and found the waist size of the pants to measure out consistently at 2” larger than the stated size. Most men’s jeans will be sized this way these days…. it’s called vanity sizing. We recommend you measure your waist or the waistband of your favorite jeans to see what size pants you need. The waist sizes for each pant size can be adjusted down by 2 to 3 inches with the side waist adjusters.
Inseam on the regular size pants is about 33” and inseam on the tall size pants is about 35”.
Here is a chart I put together to show you how each pant size measures out so you can select the size based upon what you come up with when you measure yourself.
|Pant Size||Max Waist Size||Inseam Regular||Inseam Tall||Inseam Short|
Our Two Cents
The Klim Baja S4 pant is new for 2020. This is a great choice for those wanting Klim quality and protection in a package that will be comfortable in hot summer temps. Full armor is included for the knees and hips.
It seems Klim is aiming for exceptional quality, but with more value with many of their new products for 2020. This Baja S4 offers many of the premium features of their higher priced options but in a more reasonably priced package. One premium feather is the use of Superfabric overlays in the knee area… the most critical crash-prone area for pants. Superfabric is a super tough, abrasion resistant material. It’s also kind of “slick” so if you crash, you’ll slide rather than roll (same idea as with “sliders” on gloves. The mesh material Klim uses in this pant is new and also special. It flows air but is also super tough feeling. The panels on the front and backs of the thigh and further down the leg are the mesh material. The material between those panels is a stretch weave material that allows for easy movement.
Since much of the shell of this pant is full mesh material so consider this jacket for hot summer months. The pants themselves are not waterproof, but if rain is in your forecast, you can pair the pants with Slim’s new Enduro S4 pant to get waterproofing and wind-proofing too. Take the link below to read our review of the Enduro S4 to learn more. The combination of the two items will give you year round practicality.
The armor package with the pant is Klim’s standard CE level 1 armor made by D3O. The armor is soft and pliable but well regarded in the industry for its crash protection properties. The material has the property of becoming momentarily very hard upon impact, which makes it ideal for motorcycling. The armor is molded in a honeycomb pattern which makes it breathe better than solid armor pieces. You get a pair of armor inserts for both the knees and hips. The pockets that hold the knee armor are fashioned with Velcro strips that allow you to adjust the position of the armor to suit your leg length. Be sure and adjust the armor so it fits well when sitting. Leg armor will fall down some when standing. Behind the knees, there are adjuster straps so you can snug down the leg to hold the armor in place better.
One other new feature I really like… the reflective materials on this pant are a new product (3M™ SCOTCHLITE™ C790 CARBON BLACK REFLECTIVE) which looks like dark grey plastic in the daytime, but at night, it reflects like crazy! The material is said to reflect back to the light source rather than reflecting 90 degrees which may not be in the direction of driver you want to see you.
To complete your outfit, check out the matching jacket by taking the link below (if you haven’t already). The feature list of the jacket is comparable with these pants. The two connect with a half zipper in back. The waist on these pants have adjusters to help you get a fit, so you could wear these pants with any jacket… Klim or not… :: Paul, 03-12-20
Klim says: The Baja S4 Pant was born for open deserts and towering sand dunes. Featuring extensive 4-way stretch zones and durable Schoeller®-Dynatec® nylon mesh – specially mapped with a lightweight liner for unrestricted airflow – the Baja S4 delivers thorough airflow for hot weather adventure riding. Engineered with excellent flexibility for dynamic off-road riding, while ceramic-plated Superfabric® offers outstanding on-road protection. Paired with the waterproof Enduro S4, the Baja S4 kit is the ultimate adventure riding setup for maximum versatility.