Klim Baja S4 Jacket
- SCHOELLER®-DYNATEC® HIGH TENACITY NYLON MESH MAIN BODY/ARMS
- COMFORT-MAPPED MESH CHASSIS (SHELL & LINER)
- KARBONITE™ MICROMESH 4-WAY STRETCH 1000D CORDURA® IN STRETCH ZONES
- STRETCH WOVEN MATERIAL FULLY POROUS FOR AIRFLOW
- SUPERFABRIC® ON SHOULDERS/ELBOWS
- DESIGNED TO KIT WITH ENDURO S4 JACKET FOR COOL/WET WEATHER
- 3M™ SCOTCHLITE™ C790 CARBON BLACK REFLECTIVE MATERIAL
- BIOMOTION RECOGNITION
- DURABLE 750D CORDURA® FABRIC FOR CARGO POCKETS, CUFFS, HEM
- YKK® ZIPPERS
- CE AA RATING CERTIFIED TO prEN 17092-3
- D3O® CE LEVEL 1 LP1 VENTED SHOULDER/ELBOW PADS
- D3O® CE LEVEL 1 BACK PAD
- ADJUSTABLE ARMOR PAD POCKETS
- KIDNEY BELT COMPATIBLE (SOLD SEPARATELY)
- KLIMATEK™ COOLING STRETCH MESH IN ARMOR PAD POCKETS
- ENGINEERED SPACER MESH BACKPAD POCKET
- FULL-TIME CHASSIS VENTILATION THROUGH SCHOELLER®-DYNATEC® MESH PANELS
- AIR PERMEABILITY THROUGH KARBONITE™ MICROMESH STRETCH ZONES
- PROVIDES AIRFLOW AT ALL SPEEDS
- COLLAR TAB BACK FOR INCREASED AIRFLOW TO UPPER CHEST
- 6 EXTERNAL POCKETS
- 1 FOREARM EMERGENCY ID STAT CARD / HIDDEN STASH POCKET
- 2 HAND POCKETS
- 2 FRONT CARGO POCKETS
- 1 REAR LARGE CARGO POCKET
- 1 CONCEALED DOCUMENT POCKET BEHIND BACKPAD
- 2 LOWER INTERNAL ZIPPERED STASH POCKETS PARTIAL MESH FOR AIRFLOW
- 1 UPPER INSIDE CHEST DROP POCKET
- 2L HYDRAPAK® COMPATIBLE POCKET (HYDRAPAK® SOLD SEPARATELY)
- 2 INTERNAL HYDRATION HOSE ROUTING OPTIONS (OVER SHOULDER OR UNDER ARM)
- GO HERE FOR A VIDEO ON ROUTING INSTRUCTION
- ENDURO S4 JACKET COMPATIBLE AS OVERSHELL
- COMFORT MAPPED MESH SHELL/LINER FOR UNRESTRICTED AIRFLOW
- MOISTURE-WICKING ANTIMICROBIAL POLYGIENE® ANTI-ODOR LINER
- COMFORT COLLAR LINER MATERIAL
- 2 QUICK-ADJUST FOREARM STRAPS
- ADJUSTABLE BOTTOM HEM
- ADJUSTABLE VELCRO CUFFS
- JACKET-PANT ZIP CONNECTION
The chest sizes listed in the chart below are from Klim’s chart and I’ve double checked the actual jackets against the chart and it is accurate. But be careful… while the size Large is exactly what you’d expect with a 44” max chest, the smaller sizes are a bit smaller than normal and the bigger sizes are bigger than normal. For example, a men’s size Medium usually is styled with a 42” max chest and Klim’s medium is a 40” max chest. Same goes for larger sizes… an XXL is typically a 48” max chest, but Klim’s is a 52” max chest.
Given the variation from “normal” for smaller and larger sizes, I’d highly recommend you measure yourself and/or measure a jacket that fits you well (take the link below on how to do that). Then choose a jacket that is big enough for your chest.
This jacket is geared toward more off road use than on road, so the cut is just slightly different. I find the body to be just a bit more roomy than their other jacket styles. I found the belly area in the jackets to be the same max dimension as the chest.
Overall sleeve and torso lengths are generous and will work for most average height or taller riders. Those of shorter stature may find the sleeve and torso lengths to be longer than ideal.
|Jacket Size||Max Chest||Max Belly|
Our Two Cents
The Klim Baja S4 jacket is new for 2020. This is a great choice for those wanting Klim quality and protection in a package that will be comfortable in hot summer temps. Full armor is included for the shoulders, elbows and back.
It seems Klim is aiming for exceptional quality, but with more value with many of their new products for 2020. This Baja S4 offers many of the premium features of their higher priced products but at a more reasonable price. This jacket uses Superfabric in the critical crash prone areas (shoulders and elbows) which is a super tough, abrasion resistant material. It’s also kind of “slick” so if you crash, you’ll slide rather than roll (same idea as with “sliders” on gloves). The mesh material Klim uses in this jacket is new and also special. It flows air but is also super tough feeling. The material used between the mesh panels is a stretch weave material that allows for easy movement.
Much of the shell of this jacket is full mesh material so consider this jacket for hot summer months. Even a longer style like this with very good coverage should be comfortable with all the mesh panels. But wait, there’s more! You can pair the jacket with Klim’s new Enduro S4 jacket to get waterproofing and wind-proofing too. Take the link below to read our review of the Enduro S4 to learn more. One new feature this year are the collar hold-backs on the upper chest. You can open your main zipper some and pin the collar down away from your neck during really warm weather to get some air flow in and around your neck. For short neck guys like me, this is a welcome feature!
The armor package with the jacket is Klim’s standard CE level 1 armor made by D3O. The armor is soft and pliable but well regarded in the industry for its crash protection properties. The material has the property of becoming momentarily very hard upon impact, which makes it idea for motorcycling. The armor is molded in a honeycomb pattern which makes it breathe better than solid armor pieces. You get a pair of shoulders, and elbows and also a back protector.
Like nearly all Klim jackets, this one includes lots of pockets for storing your gear along with a couple specialty pockets. One is the small sleeve pocket meant for medical info and/or an extra credit card. There is another “hidden” pocket located behind the back protector so you can stash your important papers if you are off the beaten path. Anyway, take my word for it… there is a lot of storage here.
One other new feature I really like… the reflective materials on this jacket are a new product (3M™ SCOTCHLITE™ C790 CARBON BLACK REFLECTIVE) which looks like dark grey plastic in the daytime, but at night reflect like crazy! The material is said to reflect back to the light source rather than reflecting 90 degrees which may not be in the direction of driver you want to see you.
Check out the matching pants by taking the link below. The feature list of the pants is comparable with the jacket. The two connect with a half zipper in back.
For hot summer adventure and street riding, this may be my favorite. :: Paul, 03-11-20
Happy Customers Who Bought This Product
48" chest and 40" waist. XL is spot on with enough room to comfortably fit my TechAir 5 (back protector removed) underneath. Probably just enough room for some light insulation for those 'cold' Florida mornings, otherwise hoping for less sweati... (Read more...)