Alpinestars Tailwind Air Waterproof Jacket
- 600D polyester fabric with PU coating.
- Extended high performance mesh panels on chest, back and sleeves for improved cooling performance.
- Strategically positioned shoulder accordion stretch panel inserts have been designed to accommodate Alpinestars airbag system, allowing expansion when the airbag inflates but also offering a high level of anatomical performance and a superior fit when riding without the system fitted.
- Tech-Air® compatible; Tech-Air® is the world’s first completely electronic, self-contained, full independent upper body motorcycle airbag system with no bike-to-rider set-up configurations required.
- An LED display on the sleeve indicates the airbag’s operational status, while an internal housing located in the CE-certified back protector accommodates the system vest’s ECU.
- Detachable waterproof membrane for all-weather versatility.
- Multiple volume elasticated adjusters on sleeves for a tailored fit.
- Accordion panels on elbows help movement and comfort on the bike.
- Waist adjustment for an improved riding fit.
- Two front kangaroo pouch-style pockets and one zippered chest pocket for real-world practicality.
- New ergonomic cuff adjustment closure system, snap button gusset and security zippers for ease-of-use with gloved hands.
- Padded areas on sleeves to increase rider comfort.
- Multiple reflective prints on the back to make the rider more visible to other road users, especially at night.
- Ergonomic touring collar construction for optimized rider comfort.
- Pre-curved sleeve construction reduces riding fatigue.
- Waterproof front inner pocket for peace-of-mind storage.
- Collar construction with rubberized fabric edging plus brushed tricot fabric on inner collar lining for rider comfort and to prevent chafing.
- Waist connection zipper allows attachment to Alpinestars riding pants.
- Fully CE-certified riding garment to CE – Category II prEN17092 draft standards – A class.
- Chest and back compartments are designed to accommodate the Alpinestars Level 1 CE-certified Nucleon chest and Level 2 CE-certified back inserts, available as an accessory upgrade.
- Level 1 CE-certified Bio Armor shoulder and elbow protectors for impact protection.
These jackets are sold in US based “alpha” sizes, so selecting a size is basically pretty easy. For most people, you would choose the size you normally wear in men’s clothing. Alpinestars publishes a super-complicated size chart which can be used to pick a size based upon your chest and waist. We’ve condensed their chart down to make it easy to read (see below). The waist is adjustable with Velcro tabs. Overall this should be a very easy style to fit.I found the taper from chest to waist of these jackets to be on the sporty side, but not so much that it won’t work for most people. So if you have a bit of a belly, please check to make sure that the size you pick will be big enough for both your chest and belly. Example: an XL is a 46” max chest and the max belly would be about 42”.
|Jacket Size||Chest Range||Max Belly|
|Small||37.5 to 39||35|
|Medium||40 to 41.5||37|
|Large||42 to 43.5||40|
|XL||44.5 to 46||42|
|XXL||47 to 49||45|
|XXXL||49 to 51||47|
|XXXXL||51.5 to 53||49|
About sizing when accessory armor is used: I’d recommend you add 1” to your chest and belly measurements if you plan on adding and back protector and one more inch to your chest if you want to add the chest armor. The Tech-Air airbag system can be used with this jacket and would be used in place of the back pad and chest protectors. If selecting the air bag system, add 2” to your chest and belly measurements before selecting your jacket size.
Our Two Cents
The Tailwind Air Waterproof jacket by Alpinestars is a fully featured textile/mesh riding jacket for street riders. It has mesh to keep you cool and a removable waterproof liner too. Armor is standard for the shoulders and elbows and back/chest armor is optional. It is also Tech-Air® airbag compatible.
The shell of this jacket is a mix of flow through mesh material and solid textile materials. I’d say over half the front and back surface area is the mesh material, so we’ll call it a mostly-mesh jacket and I’ll recommend it for use in summer months. The jacket also fitted with a removable fully waterproof inside liner. The liner will keep you dry in case of rain, but with a mostly-mesh jacket like this it has a dual purpose. You can also use it to block the wind through the mesh panels in cooler weather. And if you layered under the WP liner, with your own thermal underwear, you could make this jacket work in cold weather too. This jacket should work well in a VERY WIDE range of temps and riding conditions.
This jacket comes standard with CE level 1 armor for the shoulders and elbows. This is standard molded energy absorbing type found in most Alpinestars street jackets. You can also add a back protector and chest pads. For adding a back protector, there are three main options (see below). If you click through to those back protectors, I’ve included a discussion with each to help you choose. For a street rider’s jacket like this, I’d steer you to the KR-Celli or maybe the KR-2i. You can also add chest armor in the jacket. One simple choice is available so click the link below. One of the KR back protectors in the jacket and the chest protectors, along with the standard elbows and shoulder armor inserts would give you great overall coverage.
As if that weren’t enough, this jacket is compatible with Alpinestars Tech-Air® street air bag system which is an optional airbag vest that is worn under the jacket and replaces the optional armor mentioned above. MORE ON THIS OPTION LATER.
An all-around connection zipper is provided so you can zip this jacket to Alpinestars pants to make a full suit. I like the overall easy fit of this jacket and the somewhat restrained looks. I think this will appeal to the non-race/sport crowd, but it’s a jacket has the same protective technology of those more sport styled jackets. :: Paul, 05-018-19
Alpinestars says: A simple, understated all-weather riding jacket, the Tech-Air® compatible Tailwind has a durable polyfabric main shell with multiple adjusters for a superior fit in the riding position and subtly integrated class leading CE-certified protection on the shoulders and elbows.