Alpinestars SMX-2 Air Carbon v2 Gloves - 2017
- Newly designed and durable, multi-panel main shell incorporating full-grain leather and 3D mesh
- An innovative microfiber and PU grip insert strategically positioned on palm and thumb for excellent levels of grip control and durability
- Alpinestars’ exclusive ergonomic stretch insert between palm and thumb
- Incorporates premium quality suede palm and landing reinforcement
- Ergonomically shaped Alpinestars’ innovative carbon knuckle guard provides exceptional impact and abrasion protection. Guard is reinforced on the interior side with thick EVA foam
- Finger tops and back hand incorporates poly mesh, TPR inserts
- Impact absorbing EVA foam panels on thumb
- 3D mesh finger and thumb surfaces for cooling performance
- Pre-curved finger construction to reduce riding fatigue
- Neoprene wrist cuff plus velcro and TPR closure for secure and personalized closure
- Touchscreen compatible index fingertip and thumb
- Stretch finger sidewalls for improved flexibility and comfort
Read on for more details.
We often say Alpinestars gloves run a bit snug as compared to other brands, but the construction of this glove includes some stretch panels of meshy material so I found these to feel just a bit more roomy than most of their leather/sport gloves, so I’ll say this one runs “true to size” with most other brands. I’d still suggest that if you are sometimes between sizes, then choose the larger of the two. Hopefully you’ve had some experience with buying gloves and can choose based upon the fit of a previous pair. If you have no previous experience with glove sizing, go here for help..
Our Two Cents
The SMX-2 Air Carbon v2 Gloves for 2017 are the most recent update of a long running popular glove model for Alpinestars. The short cuff design with the substantial knuckle protector makes this one a favorite for street riders. As I mentioned in my sizing comments above, parts of the glove are a mesh-like fabric that allows free flow of air and these gloves will definitely be comfortable in hot weather. And they are light and small enough to conveniently pack away in a handy pocket.
For protection, the heel of the hand and lower palm have some padding to give some isolation from vibration. On the back of the knuckles, there is a very substantial molded armor piece. It is well padded on the underside so the gloves are very comfortable even with that rigid armor piece. And in the center of the palm and on the inside of the thumb there is some “grippy” material that will improve your ability to grip the bars. The gloves also include some material on the tip of the index finger to operate your phone or GPS. Take the “View Larger Images” link above to see some good close-up shots of all these features. This model is a very popular, long-running style and with the new touchscreen capability, I’m sure it will continue to be a best seller. :: Paul, 03-13-17