Alpinestars SMX-1R Vented Boots
- Main upper constructed from an advanced microfiber for comfort, durability and excellent abrasion resistance
- Perforated medial, lateral and toe panels for excellent ventilation
- Innovative heel counter support system, which works in conjunction with strap closure to offer improved fit and support as well as structural integrity
- Rear of heel counter has been redesigned with soft TPR insert which works seamlessly with rear flex zone to allow for improved freedom of ankle movement and comfort on the bike’s controls, plus durable TPR shift pad
- Ergonomic new boot shaping for forefoot streamlining which offers wide-ranging foot profile, fit and comfort
- Newly designed TPR medial and lateral side protection offers excellent abrasion resistance and durability
- Evolved closure strap which is anatomically angled to follow natural shape of rider’s instep
- Alpinestars exclusive compound rubber sole with newly designed grip patterning to promote improved feel and grip, water dispersion and durability
- Instep and Achilles’ accordion flex zones from lightweight microfiber for optimized levels of durability, comfort and maneuverability on and off the bike
- Front VELCRO® closures offer a quick and secure fit over the instep area while permitting excellent levels of flex
- Strap features TPR puller for ease of use
- Medial zip closure ensures convenient in and out; zip is covered with VELCRO® closures and microfiber flap to protect bike from scratches
- Double density ankle protector on medial side layered under the upper offers protective performance and abrasion resistance in key area
- Integrated, replaceable bi-injected TPU forefoot slider features new easy-screw fixing concept for quicker and easier replacement
- External, high modulus TPU heel counter, lateral ankle and shift pad for improved shock protection and durability
- Internal toe box protection is layered under the upper for durability, improved feel and performance
- Removable anatomic foot-bed includes EVA foam and Lycra for convenience, comfort and support
- Internal mesh lining for cooling comfort and moisture-wicking
- CE certified to Cat 2 CE Certified to 89/686/ECC EU Directive
Read on for more details.
The overall fit/size of this new style seems “true” to their published size chart (see below), so if you are comfortable with a certain size from previous boots, then choose the same size. I’d consider the width of the men’s sizes to be normal to slightly wide (D or E).
|Euro||Men’s US||Women’s US|
Our Two Cents
Offered new for 2016 is the latest version of the S-MX 1 Boots. These boots are offered in two versions…. the standard non-vented and the vented. Both versions have the same feature set except the vented boots use perforated microfiber to allow air flow for hot weather. Since both boots are otherwise so similar, I’ll let this narrative cover both versions.
The SMX-1R is a shorter boot, but one where the sole and foot are built much like an Alpinestars race boot. The toe box and heel counter are both reinforced heavily to provide impact protection in a crash and the toe has a stiff rubber overlay where the shifter will hit. The sole is the traditional molded sole used on race boots. Replaceable toe sliders are included as well.
The boots close with a side zipper for easy on and off and the instep of the boots can be snugged down a bit with the external Velcro strap. Since you can get in and out of the boot with the side zip, the instep strap is a “set it and forget it” affair. The boots have some nice padding around the neck of the boot and on either side of the ankle.
The insides of the boots are made with the traditional 3D mesh nylon liner which wicks moisture and is very durable. And in the vented version this will allow air to flow freely through.
Overall, I find these boots to be very convenient to use, comfortable to walk in, but much more sturdy than the wide variety of sneaker-type short boots available today. So if you want something less than a full height boot, but want more protection than those lesser shoes, then this one might just be the thing. :: Paul, 04-15-16