Alpinestars Jam Drystar Shoes
A street-styled riding shoe that comes in two distinctive versions, leather and denim, Alpinestars Jam DRYSTAR® Shoe is breathable and waterproof. The Jam incorporates class-leading protection and premium comfort features, while the newly designed rubber compound sole provides excellent grip on and off the bike.
- Lightweight, street-styled upper combining leather on frontal and suede on back for optimized comfort, durability and look.
- DENIM VERSION: Lightweight, street-styled upper combining leather on frontal and denim on back for optimized comfort, durability and look.
- Tongue in leather for enhanced comfort, durability and luxurious feel.
- Leather eyelet for more durability and style.
- Traditional lace closure system for easy, secure and comfortable fit.
- Silicone and elastic lace pocket located on top tongue allows storage of laces for security.
- Alpinestars’ DRYSTAR® waterproof and breathable membrane layer between upper and lining for proven performance in difficult weather conditions.
- Dual density ankles protectors applied between the upper and padded lining to provide the strategic protection and flexibility in key areas.
- Embossed areas highlight the protection parts giving an aggressive and dynamic style at the riding shoe.
- Padding on tongue and heel area provides high levels of comfort and fit around the ankle and instep.
- Internal toe box and heel counter reinforcement is layered under the upper for more ergonomic design.
- New design sole with rubber compound cup sole molded to the upper to offer stability, grip, support and to provide a good walking comfort.
- JAM DRYSTAR® shoe is CE certified to CE 89/686/EEC – CAT 2.
Read on for more details.
We find the line of Alpinestars shoes to run more snug and a bit shorter than the boots in their line. I think these run more like Nike sneakers, which generally run about one half to one size smaller than a standard street show.
Our advice would be to buy one size larger than your standard street shoe size, or the same size as you wear in Nike. If you are between sizes, choose the larger.
Our Two Cents
The Jam Drystar Shoes from Alpinestars are made for those want to wear a shoe that is lighter weight and more casual than motorcycle boots. These shoes are a more robust than ordinary sneakers and have some moderate protection built into them that you won’t find with ordinary street shoes. The shoes have hidden ankle protectors over each ankle bone which will help disperse impact if you fall. And the heel cup is also stiffened. Alpinestars mentions the toe being stiffened also, but the stiffener piece extends only about 1” from the tip end of the toe, so I’d have to say that feature is only marginal. One unique feature is the little elastic strap they provide at the top of the shoe’s tongue which you can use to tuck away the loose ends of the shoe laces after you tie them. Loose laces are never a great idea on the bike because of the possibility of entangling them on something which might result in an embarrassing tip over. I’m glad to see such a feature on shoes like this!
The sole on these shoes in a molded rubber sole and they feel like they have some stiffening in the shank area, which is always welcome for riding a motorcycle since you’ll be called upon to put some of your weight on the pegs from time to time and you need that stiffness so the soles won’t bend under your foot. Also, these shoes are equipped with a waterproof/breathable liner so they won’t take on water in wet weather. Bear in mind however that a short shoe like this won’t be the best for riding in rain since the top isn’t tall enough to stay under ordinary pant legs and water will enter through the top, but for light duty wet weather riding, they’ll be better than shoes not equipped with the waterproof layer.
Have a look at our photo gallery to get a close look at all the features of this shoe including the nifty lace holder. :: Paul, 10-05-17