Alpinestars Hyper Drystar Pants
An excellent and versatile all-weather sport touring pant that is packed with class-leading protection, the Hyper DRYSTAR® Pant incorporates a breathable and 100 per cent waterproof membrane plus a removable thermal lining for superb comfort whatever the weather brings.
- Multi-panel, multi material construction featuring a PU-coated 450 denier poly-fabric main shell and 600 denier dobby reinforcement for optimized levels of durability and abrasion resistance.
- Class-leading impact protection provided by CE certified knee protectors. Protectors are housed within internal mesh pockets, allowing them to be adjusted according to rider’s leg length.
- Excellent protection against the elements provided by Alpinestars’ DRYSTAR® 100% waterproof and breathable membrane. Membrane feature stretch inserts which mirror the stretch zones of the outer garment for superior freedom of movement.
- Pre-curved legs for comfort with stretch panels on crotch and knee, plus an extensive stretch panel on rear yoke, provides enhanced freedom of movement.
- Removable thermal lining (100g) means pants can be worn in a variety of climatic conditions, adding to their overall versatility
- Optimized for use with range of textile jackets, thanks to a full circumference waist zipper.
- Ventilation system includes zippered thigh openings which allow for personalized and adjustable levels of airflow.
- Reflective details on lower legs to improve rider visibility in varying light conditions.
- Internal hip compartments are lined with ergonomically tapered PE comfort foam for superior riding comfort. Hip compartments can be upgraded to incorporate Alpinestars new CE certified Nucleon hip protectors.
- Hook and loop grip waist and leg adjustments for precision fit in various riding positions. Waist incorporates 3D mesh interior for comfort.
- Deep zippered side pockets for peace-of-mind closure and safe storage of valuables.
These pants are sold in US Alpha sizes and Alpinestars offers a chart to estimate the waist size for each size. The conversion estimates are about what you’d expect for each US alpha size and we verified the estimates on several pair and found them to be pretty accurate. (Note: Prior to 2018 product releases, Alpinestars standard size charts indicated waist sizes that were significantly larger than those listed here and we had to provide our own estimates on size. Now Alpinestar’s chart more accurately reflects actual size.)
To help you get the right size, we’ve condensed Alpinestars rather complicated chart to something more easily readable. Please note that we are listing a waist size range for each pant because the pants have adjustment tabs on the waist that allow you to snug them down if needed. Choose a size based on the measurement of your waist. You’ll want to measure yourself up a bit higher on your waist than ordinary jeans because protective pants like this are a little higher waisted. Take the link below if you need advice on how to measure. Due to the general trim “cut” of these pants, I’d advise you to choose larger if you find yourself between sizes.
|Alpha Size||Alpinestars Waist
|Small||30 to 31.5||30.5|
|Medium||31.5 to 33||31.5|
|Large||33 to 34.5||33|
|XL||36 to 37.5||33.5|
|XXL||38 to 39||34.5|
|XXXL||41 to 42.5||35|
|XXXXL||42.5 to 44||35|
|XXXXXL||45.5 to 47.5||35|
Our Two Cents
The new Hyper Drystar Pants for 2018 are the new “every day” textile pants for street riders. These pants have very good protection capabilities and excellent waterproofing so you can use these pants three seasons of weather of every sort (basically anything but really hot weather).
These pants have short zippers and a Velcro adjuster on the pant leg ends to help you get them get them on easily and to allow for adjustment of the pant leg size to suit your choice of footwear. The side zippers only come up about half way up the leg so they aren’t a typical “overpant” design, so they’ll work best as your riding pants (over underwear) rather than using them over street clothes. If you oversize the, you can probably use them over street clothes, but you’ll have to take off your boots to get them on/off.
The waist is adjustable with side velcro tabs (see our sizing advice to the the approximate range of adjustability). And the pants have expansion joints above the knees. The height of the armor is also adjustable, so these pants have the basic things your need to customize the fit.
I mentioned the useful temp range above; a bit more about that… these pants are equipped with a fixed waterproof liner which is between the outer shell and inner lining. The fixed liner will very very effective to keep water out, and there are a couple thigh zippers to admit a bit of air, but the venting doesn’t pass all the way through the liner to your skin like with some more elaborate designs. With the vents open, I think you can achieve comfort in milder weather, but not hot weather. But the pants DO come with a removable full thermal liner which feel nice and should give lots of warmth for colder weather.
In addition to all of the above, you also get some nice night time reflectives (see our photo gallery), two zip-close front pockets and a sturdy/secure waist closure. There is also a full around zip to connect to Alpinestars jackets (with the full zip as well). There is a lot of pant here that I think you’ll really like for your every day riding. :: Paul, 10-17-17
Upgraded hip armor: Alpinestars offers upgraded hip armor in two versions (see below). Take the link to either product page for an explanation of the difference between the two choices. I’d recommend the KR-H for this style pant. The pants have the “loop” Velcro in the hip area, ready for these upgraded armor pieces which have the mating Velcro. The pants are supplied as standard with thin foam hip pads.