Klim 2018 Badlands Pro Jacket
- GORE-TEX® 3-LAYER PRO LAMINATE TECHNOLOGY
- GORE-TEX® PRO LAMINATES – THE MOST BREATHABLE, MOST DURABLE MOTORSPORTS SHELL CONSTRUCTION AVAILABLE
- GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY®
- SPL 200 3 LAYER PRO GORE-TEX®
- FPL 400 3 LAYER PRO GORE-TEX®
- CUSTOM-ENGINEERED VARIABLE-DENSITY SUPERFABRIC® ON SHOULDERS, ELBOWS and FOREARM
- HIGHLY ABRASION RESISTANT 500D KARBONITE™ RIPSTOP PANELS IN KEY IMPACT AND WEAR AREAS
- HIGH-MOBILITY ACTIVE FIT PATTERNING FOR UNMATCHED COMFORT
- PRE-CURVED ARM AND RIDER POSITIONING CONSTRUCTION
- ACTION BACK ON SHOULDERS
- 3M SCOTCHLITE™ REFLECTIVE MATERIAL ON PANELS AND TRIM FOR INCREASED LOW-LIGHT VISIBILITY
- VELCRO® FASTENERS ADJUSTABLE WRIST CLOSURES
- FOREARM SLEEVE ADJUSTMENT STRAPS
- YKK® VISLON® WATER RESISTANT ZIPPERS
- POLYESTER DYING IS HAS IMPROVED FADING RESISTANCE
- PROVIDES BETTER VISIBILITY IN LOW-LIGHT SITUATIONS
- COLORFAST POLYESTER MATERIAL IS DURABLE AND IMPROVED RESISTANCE TO UV FADING
- HI-VIZ COLORWAY INTEGRATES MAXIMUM REFLECTIVE AND STRATEGIC PLACEMENT OF HI VIS COLOR PANELS
- NEW CUSTOM D3O®/KLIM ARMOR SYSTEM – AERO PRO
- INCREASED COVERAGE
- INCREASED VENTILATION
- INCREASED BREATHABILITY
- BETTER ERGONOMICS
- LIMB-SPECIFIC PADS
- KLIM® AERO PRO™ D3O SHOULDERS AND ELBOWS
- D3O® VIPER PRO BACK PIECE
- D3O® EXCEEDS LEVEL 2 CE CERTIFICATION INCLUDING HOT TEST FOR PREN1621-1:2011 TESTING)
- SILICONIZED SPACER MESH FRONT CHEST FORWARD IMPACT PROTECTION VENTED
- ADJUSTABLE ARMOR POCKETS FOR REFINED ARMOR PLACEMENT
- 2 SLEEVE ADJUSTMENT STRAPS STABILIZE ARMOR
- IMPROVED VENTILATION THROUGH THE BACK PAD POCKET
- IMPROVED FIT OF THE LIMB PROTECTION TO STAY IN PLACE IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH
- KLIMATEK™ COOLING STRETCH MESH IN ELBOW AND SHOULDER PAD POCKETS
- IMPROVED COMFORT AND FIT
- IMPROVED INTERNAL MOISTURE-WICKING MESH POLYGIENE® ODOR FIGHTING FOR LONG TRIPS
- IMPROVED KIDNEY BELT (ADDED ACCESS PORTS IN LINER TO EASILY ADJUST AND STOW AWAY THE BELT)
- 6 EXTERNAL POCKETS – [2 CHEST, 2 CORE WATERPROOF VENT-MESH, 2 HAND, 1 SPOT POCKET, ID/LICENSE POCKET ON LEFT FOREARM (WITH HIDDEN STASH POCKET) ONE LARGE DUAL ACCESS STORAGE POCKET ON EXTERIOR BACK]
- FOUR INTERNAL CHEST POCKETS + ONE HIDDEN POCKET BEHIND BACKPAD (HIDDEN DOCUMENT), 2 HIDDEN STASH POCKETS, ZIPPERED MESH CHEST POCKETS
- EASY ACCESS HYDRATION BLADDER COMPARTMENT AND INTERNAL HOSE ROUTE DUAL ROUTING OPTIONS (TWO SIZES OF COMPATIBLE BLADDERS NOT INCLUDED)
- INTEGRATED JACKET-STABILIZING, REMOVABLE AND ADJUSTABLE KIDNEY BELT SUPPORT SYSTEM (UPGRADED KIDNEY BELT)
- IMPROVED COLLAR FIT COMPLETELY REDESIGNED COLLAR REDUCED BULK
- COLLAR CINCH
- BOTTOM HEM ADJUSTMENT
- STANDARDIZED JACKET-TO-PANT ZIPPER INTEGRATION SYSTEM
- LINED COMFORT COLLAR
- WATER RESISTANT HAND AND CHEST POCKETS
- NEW CUSTOM TPU ZIPPER PULLERS
- NEW REINFORCED ZIPPER END SEALING SYSTEM
- IMPROVED VENTING VIA, EASIER TO ACCESS WHILE RIDING, SIDE CHEST VENTS AND LOWER BODY VENTS
- BICEP VENTS RIGID OPENING ASSIST KEEPS VENTS OPEN WIDER
- COLLAR CAN HOOK BACK TO ALLOW FOR MORE VENTILATION IMPROVED USABILITY OF ENTIRE COLLAR TAB BACK FEATURE
- WORKS IN CONCERT WITH AERO PRO PADS AND KLIMATEK™ COOLING FABRIC
- 4 FRONT CORE, 2 FOREARM, 2 BICEP
- 2 BACK
- 2 TRICEP
GARMENT PASSES *CE CERTIFICATION A/AA/AAA
The chest sizes listed in the chart below are from Klim’s chart and I’ve double checked the actual jackets against the chart and it is accurate. But be careful… while the size Large is exactly what you’d expect with a 44” max chest, the smaller sizes are a bit smaller than normal and the bigger sizes are bigger than normal. For example, a men’s size Medium usually is styled with a 42” max chest and Klim’s medium is a 40” max chest. Same goes for larger sizes… an XXL is typically a 48” max chest, but Klim’s is a 52” max chest.
Given the variation from “normal” for smaller and larger sizes, I’d highly recommend you measure yourself and/or measure a jacket that fits you well (take the link below on how to do that). Then choose a jacket that is big enough for your chest.
This jacket is geared toward more off road use than on road, so the cut is just slightly different. I find the body to be just a bit more roomy than their other jacket styles. I found the belly area in the jackets to be the same max dimension as the chest.
Overall sleeve and torso lengths are generous and will work for most average height or taller riders. Those of shorter stature may find the sleeve and torso lengths to be longer than ideal.
|Jacket Size||Max Chest||Max Belly|
Our Two Cents
Wow! We’ve ventured into the world of truly HEAVY DUTY gear with Klim this year. I’ve spent a good 45 minutes familiarizing myself with this new Badlands Pro Jacket and I must say, I’m very impressed with the overall ruggedness and build quality. Below are the key features as defined by Klim:
WORLD CONQUEROR Designed for the toughest Adventure Riders who overcome the harshest elements. Developed to master continuous abuse from hardened World Travelers. Introducing the next generation of the Badlands Pro. The most trusted name in ADV. Get your man card out, you’re gonna need it.TOP 3 BENEFITS
- WORLD-CLASS DURABILITY AND FUNCTIONALITY ON THE LONGEST ADVENTURES
- KEEPS YOU DRY AND COMFORTABLE IN GLOBALLY DIVERSE CLIMATES
- CUSTOM-BUILT KLIM®/D3O® AERO PRO ARMOR RAISES THE STANDARD IN ADV PROTECTION
With so many features, I think I’ll dispense with talking about the “ordinary” features and tell you what I see here that is extraordinary. A jacket like this, designed for world travel, in any and all conditions, has to be rugged and reliable and in just handling and trying this jacket on, I can say for certain, it is built to last. The shell material is VERY heavy duty feeling. Like most other waterproof styles from Klim, the waterproofing system is integrated into the fabric so there aren’t separate and/or removable liners to make the jacket waterproof. Since the shell material is the waterproof component, it means that the zippers have to waterproof as well. This jacket has a zipper type I’ve not ever seen before. I’m referring to the two bicep, sleeve and torso zips we show in the pictures. Those, when open, directly vent to your torso. And on the back of the jacket there are four exhaust vents. Those zipper look like ordinary heavy duty nylon units, but when you look close, they have finely made teeth that mesh together very closely. And at the very top of the zipper track is a small rubber piece that plugs the end of the zipper pull to seal it up when completely closed. Just to see what would happen, I closed a zipper and put my lips on it and blew, and sure enough, they don’t allow air to pass. Wow. With all the zippers, both front and back, this jacket should vent very well indeed.
The armor included with this jacket definitely all you’ll need. Its all the heavy duty D3O level 2 stuff including the back pad. The shoulder and elbow armor is a new Aero Pro version of the D3O stuff which is a bit larger and has a lot more ventilation molded into it as compared to the “standard” stuff. Additionally, there are two rectangular chest pads that cover your chest even behind the zipper (they overlap in the center with the jacket zipped). I mentioned the waterproof shell material above, but to reinforce the crash prone areas of the jacket, they’ve put layers of “Superfabric” down the elbows and an the shoulders. The Superfabric is the most abrasion resistant material we see in the motorcycle apparel world. It is flexible and thick but its layered in thousands of tiny “nubs” (for lack of a better word) which gives a finish that is low friction but VERY tough. This fabric will hold up to prolonged sliding and being a lower friction surface will promote sliding rather than tumbling which is the idea behind other gear where Superfabric is used, such as palm sliders on race gloves. Anyway, the takeaway is that the rugged shell material along with the Superfabric makes this jacket SUPER tough.
One nice new feature I see here is simple, but something I really like. I don’t have a long neck and collars can be a rub on me. But this jacket has a couple nice molded hooks on the upper chest and some corresponding loops on each collar end, so you can unzip a bit and fold down the first 5 inches or so of the collar if you like. Nice! But if you leave the collar fully up, the rubbing will be minimized because the upper edge of the collar is covered in soft material.
For long hours in the saddle or for those with a tired back, there is an integrated AND removable kidney belt. It is integrated into the back of the jacket and is held in place by Velcro, Its highly adjustable for size and squeeze strength and I think you’ll like how it works.
A few obscure features you’ll appreciate: on the sleeve end is the ID pocket to carry your identification and/or emergency info, and inside that pocket is a hidden pocket in the lining you can stash something in case you are waylaid, or to hide something you want to secretly carry. On the right bicep is the pocket for your GPS tracker. Take a look at our photo gallery and we’ll show you all the pockets inside and out… six in front, the big fanny pouch in back, one on the sleeve, one for the GPS and then there are a few inside. And then there is even a storage pocket for a hydration bladder.
Have a look at the matching Badlands Pro pants. They have similar protection and convenience features as the jacket and work great together. Quite a jacket folks… :: Paul, 01-25-18