Cortech GX Sport 4.0 Jacket
- Performance cut
- Pre-curved, rotated sleeves with soft microfiber cuffs increase comfort and performance in the riding position
- Elbow expansion panels for increased comfort and mobility
- Carbolex® 600 denier outer shell material
- 1680 denier ballistic abrasion-resistant material in the shoulders and elbows
- Two Pipeline front intake pinch vents offer excellent direct to the body ventilation when open
- Two adjustable Pipeline exhaust vents on the back allow for exceptional flow-through ventilation
- Double hook and loop closures keep water out of the vent openings when closed
- Rainguard® waterproof, breathable liner
- Removable thermal vest liner
- 360º Phoslite® reflective piping and Cortech signature reflective rear triangle increase nighttime visibility
- Mandarin-style collar with soft microfiber trim
- Adjustable takeup straps at the biceps and forearms for a secure and snug fit
- Removable CE-approved armor at the elbows and shoulders with an articulated triple-density back protector
- Expansion panels and adjustable waist belts with TPR pulls fine tune the fit
- Two hand warmer pockets and four interior pockets
- Jacket to pant 8-inch zipper attachment, with pant side included
- ESO® main zipper
We checked the fit on these jackets with our size mannequins and we also spot checked a few different size jackets with a tape. We feel this model runs true to size. The jackets are sold in ordinary “alpha” sizes, so you can choose the size you normally wear in men’s clothing.
For those that want to check the size based upon their chest measurement, I put together the chart below. If you check Cortech’s website, you’ll find a slightly different chart than the one below. Long story short, the chart on Cortech’s site has been changed multiple times over the last few years, and they can’t seem to decide on the best chart for conversion… but this is not a difficult jacket to fit and my chart should work just fine for you.
The overall cut of this jacket is ideal for street and touring riding. It is more relaxed through the torso and not as “forward leaning” as a sport bike/race jacket. If you have a bit of a belly, you might want to check to make sure the jacket you choose will be big enough in the waist/belly. The max belly for any given size is about 4” less than the max chest in the chart. For example, a size XL has a 46” chest and a 42” max belly.
Tall sizes are available. The tall sizes are approximately 1 1/2” taller in the sleeves and torso as compared to the regular cut jackets. If you normally buy talls, these should work.
|Alpha Size||Max Chest Size||Sleeve Length|
Our Two Cents
The GX Sport 4.0 is new for 2016 and is basically a styling upgrade from the previous “3” model. This is a great all-purpose street sport textile style. The jacket has climate control features for three season conditions and wet weather (fall, winter, spring). The jacket has a removable vest-type thermal liner which will add a lot of insulation against cold weather, and of course the outer shell will block cold air. The jacket is intended to be waterproof while also having some decent venting (a jacket that does both very well is the holy grail of jacket designs!). The jacket is constructed with a waterproof mid-liner that exists between the jacket’s outer shell and the inner mesh liner. But the mid-liner has passages situated behind the zip vents in front and back so that air can pass all the way through to your body. They call this the “pipeline” venting feature. BUT, let me caution you that the zippers on the vent on this jacket are not waterproof, and so even though the zips have a textile flap over them, ultimately, they will leak some in heavy rain. So, I’d recommend this jacket as being a good one for “better than average” zippered venting, but the waterproof capabilities will be limited to light rain.
For crash protection the shoulders and elbows come equipped with removable CE approved armor and there is also a removable back pad. There is also some external padding in the back of the jacket providing additional impact protection and adding to the overall looks of the jacket. The jacket allows you to customize the fit with an adjustable waist, sleeves and cuff closures. To see the nighttime reflectivity, please take the “View Larger Images” link above. We’ve got some good night shots to demonstrate. It works very well. There is an 8” jacket to pants attachment zipper for use with any Tour Master or Cortech riding pants. Overall, this is a very nice style with a lot of value which will make nearly any street rider happy. :: Paul, 5-24-16