Alpinestars Jaws Jacket - 2017
- Durable 1.2 / 1.4 leather outer construction
- Removable CE-certified Bio-Armor shoulders and elbow protectors
- Chest and back pad compartments with PE padding (Alpinestars Nucleon chest pads available as accessory upgrade)
- Strategically placed poly-fabric stretch panels helps movement and comfort on the bike
- Pre-curved sleeve construction
- Elbow and rear accordions for increased comfort in riding position
- Multi panels liner construction to improve comfort.
- Removable thermal liner
- Soft collar construction with snap button volume adjuster for an optimized comfort
- Velcro® and D-Ring waist adjustment for improved riding fit
- Velcro® wrist adjustment for improved riding fit
- Reflective detailing on sleeve and back to improve rider visibility
- 2 zippered chest air intake vents
- 2 zippered hand pockets
- Inner waterproof wallet pocket
- Microfiber comfort edge on collar and cuffs
- Embroidered logos
- Waist connection zipper allows attachment to Alpinestars riding pants
The fit of Alpinestars jackets is generally very predictable. Typically we find these jackets fit more snug than other brands, but pretty close to the manufacturer’s size chart. But, with these Jaws jackets we are finding the fit to run MUCH SMALLER than normal.
Generally speaking, we find these jackets to be about one size smaller than normal in the small end of the size range, about one and a half sizes small in the mid range and about two sizes small in the largest jackets.
I’ve put together the following chart to help you choose a size based upon your chest and belly measurement. For each European size, I’m showing our estimate of max chest and belly.
|Euro Size||Normal Max Chest||Our Estimate of
Max Chest Size (inches)
|Our Estimate of
Max Belly Size (inches)
Optional back armor and fit: This jacket is supplied with a removable foam back pad and foam chest pads as standard. Alpinestars offers optional armor for the back and chest which are shown below. The idea is that you would use the more substantial armor in place of the standard foam pieces. The upgraded armor is thicker, and therefore you will probably need a jacket that is about one size bigger than you might normally buy. If you are seriously considering buying the armor also, I’d suggest you buy the armor and jacket at the same time, so you can solve the fit issue while you still have a return/exchange option.
Our Two Cents
This is the solid leather version of the Jaws jacket. There is also a perforated version of the Jaws for 2017. Please take this link to see a detailed review of the Jaws jacket and to our gallery of close-up pictures of all the features. Factory images of the solid version sold on this page can be seen by clicking the “View Larger Images” link above. :: Paul, 8-31-16