Alpinestars SP-1 Gloves - 2016 (Medium Only)
- Fully constructed from supple and durable full-grain leather
- Strong and supple goat leather used for the palm and finger construction for superior durability
- Ergonomically profiled carbon fiber knuckle provides exceptional impact and abrasion protection
- Patented 3rd/4th finger bridge prevents excessive finger roll and separation during impacts
- Palm and outer edge of hand reinforced with suede and leather
- Innovative palm rubber patches for extremely durable abrasion resistance
- Injected TPU palm and finger sliders for superior impact and abrasion resistance
- Touch screen compatible fingertip on index finger for use of touch screen devices
- Accordion flex inserts on fingers and outer thumb
- Vented back hand TPR for climate control
- Strategically positioned ventilation perforations on finger sidewalls
- Leather reinforcements cover finger and sidewalls for durability
- Thumb, fingers, top of hand and wrist are reinforced with 4mm perforated foam padding
- Gauntlet-style cuff includes TPR Astars logo and secure, adjustable dual Velcro closure
- Pre-curved finger design reduces fatigue
The fit of Alpinestars gloves are very consistent from one model to the next. And overall, they fit a bit small as compared to other brands we carry such as FirstGear, Tour Master, etc. It’s not enough to recommend that you buy a larger size (especially if a snug fit is preferred) but it is noticeable enough to say that if you are sometimes between sizes, then you should probably choose the larger of the two. Hopefully you’ve had some experience with buying gloves and can choose based upon the fit of a previous pair. If you have no previous experience with glove sizing, go here for help.
Our Two Cents
The Alpinestars SP-1 glove for 2016 is a great choice for a person wanting a high quality glove for the aggressive street rider or amateur racer. The SP-1 model has always been Alpinestar’s “mid-priced” glove which is made to offer a good level of protection at an affordable price.
The basic ingredients are here for a good race/sport/street glove. The leather is mid-weight and comfortable and should provide good abrasion protection. The knuckles are protected with a molded carbon fiber armor piece. This armor “floats” over the knuckles meaning it is connected to the glove on the front and sides, but not in back, so that makes it easy for you to make a fist without discomfort. Most gloves are designed this way, but some are not and it makes a difference.
As with many of the Alpinestars sport gloves, this one has a hard plastic “slider” in the palm area and has extra reinforcement on the side of the pinkie. The third and fourth fingers are tied together as well to help protect that pinkie from injury.
The glove will stay on your hand in case of a fall because it has a Velcro close strap at the wrist (a must for any sport glove). The gauntlet is adjustable with Velcro as well.
One thing I like about the Alpinestars line is that the overall quality of the items are very high… even with items on the lower end of the price scale. These gloves are a good example. The basic features are here, but not all, but the price is right and the basic quality is great. :: Paul, 12-15-15