Alpinestars Gravity Drystar Pants (L Or XXL Only)
- Category 2, A class fully CE-certified garment under PPE Regulation (EU) 2016/425 (performance riding garment).
- Chassis constructed from hard wearing 600 Denier polyester with double polyurethane coating in critical areas for additional pro-tection.
- Stretch fabric with double PU coating on side, waist and back area for enhanced rider comfort.
- Padding on back of waist for enhanced rider comfort.
- Level 1 Nucleon Flex Plus armor on knee (Bio-Flex Level 1 Hip Protector available as an accessory upgrade).
- 600 Denier polyester dobby reinforcement on knee and seat area for enhanced abrasion resistance.
- Inner leather reinforcement on seat area, knee and shin for additional abrasion resistance in key areas.
- Stretch fabric on back yoke, waist with accordion panel on knee for an optimized fit and performance.
- Hook and loop on waist and on bottom of legs for a secure closure.
- Two zippered front pockets and cargo-style pocket on left leg for real-world practicality.
- Drystar® fixed membrane for 100 per cent waterproof performance and high levels of breathability.
- Removable thermal liner allows the rider to adjust the jacket to the weather conditions.
- Two thigh vents for optimal airflow.
- Reflective details.
- According to European statutory law the CE mark is a conformity requirement for the marketing of this product. The following standards apply to this product:
- CE Category II PPE Regulation (EU) 2016/425 – A class.
- CE Level 1 EN1621-1:2012 Alpinestars Nucleon Flex Plus knee protectors (Alpinestars Bio-Flex Level 1 hip protectors available as an accessory upgrade).
These pants are sold in US Alpha sizes and Alpinestars offers a chart to estimate the waist size for each size. The conversion estimates are about what you’d expect for each US alpha size, and measurements of each size pretty accurately match Alpinestars published sizing chart.
To help you get the right size, we’ve condensed Alpinestars rather complicated chart to something more easily readable. Please note that we are listing a waist size range for each pant because the pants have adjustment tabs on the waist that allow you to snug them down if needed (but they don’t get bigger). Choose a size based on the measurement of your waist.
|Alpha Size||Alpinestars Waist
|Small||30 to 31.5||30.5|
|Medium||31.5 to 33||31.5|
|Large||33 to 34.5||33|
|XL||36 to 37.5||33.5|
|XXL||38 to 39||34.5|
|XXXL||41 to 42.5||35|
|XXXXL||42.5 to 44||35|
Our Two Cents
Alpinestars Gravity Drystar pants are a good looking and practical solid textile street riding pant with armor and an integral waterproofing system. The overall fit is “standard”. They have a trim profile, but they aren’t skinny or too sport-oriented for everyday wear. Check out the matching Gravity Drystar jacket (see the link below).
Alpinestars makes a LOT of street and touring textile pants, so let me tell you where these Gravity pants (and jacket) fits into the lineup. The Gravity is among the lowest priced waterproof style Alpinestars offers. It has a number of nice features, but really it’s not overloaded with features you find on the high cost jackets. The shell material is a nice textile that feels sturdy and has a nice modern style. Integrated into the pants is a Drystar waterproof liner fitted between the pant’s outer shell and inner mesh liner. The waterproof liner should be very effective at keeping you dry in rain. This type of waterproofing system is the simplest and lowest cost. More costly types are designed with the waterproof layer bonded to the outer shell (not a separate layer), and often times they’ll be “name brand” systems such as Gore-Tex. But the basic setup here is simple and reliable. The waterproof layer here is Alpinestar’s “house brand” called Drystar. Use in warmer weather is probably the weak spot with a fixed liner pant like this. The pant’s liner can’t be removed and the venting options are minimal. There are two front thigh vents and the air that passes through those has to pass through another “duct” built into the waterproof liner to reach your body. If you planned on this pant working for you in hot weather, then look elsewhere. But in mild or colder weather, these pants will shine. To keep you warm, there are three layers between you and the cold wind. First, you have the solid textile outer shell, and then the waterproof liner, and finally the third layer is a full-leg thermal liner for use in really cold temps. In mild weather, you’ll take out the liner to be comfortable. So overall, I’d recommend the Gravity for three seasons… winter, fall, and spring. And of course any wet conditions you may encounter.
The armor supplied with the pants is a new Nucleon Flex Plus Level 1 armor in the knees. Please visit our armor department where this armor is sold separately if you are interested in a more detailed description, but just briefly the armor is a very flexible and low profile design that sits flatter on the body and is less noticeable than traditional molded rubber armor. I really like this new style of armor for street riders. You can add optional hip armor (which I’ve also listed below). The hip armor fits into cloth pockets fitted inside the pant. The hip armor is soft and pliable and very thin, so it works well in this position.
The pants have a couple of front pockets for storage. Also, the waist is tailored very nicely. There are two wide Velcro straps on each side so you can snug down to get a good fit. Built into the waist also is a full-around zipper for connection to Alpinestars jackets. At the bottom end of the legs are two zips that open up the width of the pants to help you get your foot through, and can also help you wear the pants over wider top boots because the pant leg has solid textile gussets behind those zips. For fitting the leg ends over lower profile boots there is a Velcro tab at the very end of the pant leg to adjust the size down. Alongside the leg-end zipper is a long strip of night time reflective to help with visibility at night. Check out the matching Gravity jacket if you are in the market for the whole outfit, but also know that you can wear these pants with any jacket really. The Gravity is a great performing low cost, but high quality pant. :: Paul, 06-04-20
Alpinestars says: The Gravity Drystar® pants are equipped with exclusive Alpinestars Drystar® construction to ensure 100 percent waterproofing and great levels of breathability, even in difficult riding conditions. The technically advanced construction of these pants offers protection and abrasion resistance and is adaptable to all weather conditions.