Alpinestars Nucleon KR-R Back Protector
- Nucleon KR-R hybrid back protector is an innovative track and race back protector
- CE certified Level 2 (EN1621-2:2014)
- With performance cooling, flexibility and anatomical contouring, this hybrid of hard shell and energy absorbing viscoelastic memory foam is lightweight and breathable for optimized protection and comfort
- Waist adjustment for customized fit
- Snap-on system to fix protector to a suit or jacket
- Slim vented kidney belt for added security
These back protectors are sold by your body height and here are the recommendations from Alpinestars:
|Product Size||Height Range|
|XS||4’8 3/4” – 5’4 1/2”|
|S||5’4 1/2” – 5’8”|
|M||5’8” – 5’11 3/4”|
|L||5’11 3/4” – 6’2 1/8”|
|XL||6’2 1/8” – 6’4 1/2”|
Overall height varies by size, but just to give you the idea, you can click the “View Larges Images” link above to see our custom pics. Those photos were taken with the size medium back protector and our model is 5’9”.
Our Two Cents
For 2015, Alpinestars is introducing an all-new line of back and chest protection, and these are all part of the Nucleon series. This back protector attaches to the body with a waist strap and attaches to certain Alpinestars gear with a snap just below the neck to keep the back protector in a vertical position under the jacket or suit.
Just for comparison, there are “sister” products to this KR-R back protector, the KR-1 and KR-2. These back protectors include shoulder straps and are intended for use under gear that does not have the snap connection found in Alpinestars jackets and suits. The KR-1 is more suited for racing and the KR-2 is meant for off-track use.
Accessories: You can beef up the protection of this back protector by adding the Tailbone Protector (see that link below).