Alpinestars Radon Drystar Boots
The Alpinestars Radon is a touring boot that takes keeping you dry seriously. The Drystar membrane is between the upper and the lining to prevent water intrusion. Three VELCRO® brand fasterner straps adjust to a variety of leg and ankle dimensions, so the Radon fits you.
- Main upper material constructed from advanced microfiber for durability and long-lasting comfort
- Ergonomic toe box construction for improved compatibility with controls and for wide-ranging foot profile fit
- Internal heel counter and toe box gives enhanced structural integrity
- TPU shin plate and shift pad offer support and impact resistance
- TPR design on lateral toe gives more flexibility and abrasion protection
- Drystar membrane layer between upper and lining for proven performance in difficult weather conditions
- Three adjustable lateral VELCRO® brand straps ensure secure closure and personalized fit
- VELCRO® brand closure straps feature TPR pull tip
- Internal toe box and heel counter protection layered under the upper for durability, improved feel and performance
- Comfortable and durable technical textile collar lining
- Dual-density ankle protectors backed with foam inner padding for protection on both sides of ankles
- High modulus midsole follows shape of foot and incorporates structured shank reinforcement
- Weight-saving laminated technology utilized on shin plate for protection against impacts
- Removable anatomic footbed features EVA foam and textile for support and comfort
- Rear and lateral reflective inserts
- Vulcanized compound sole
- CE certified to CE EN 13634:2010
Read on for more details.
Alpinestars boots are very consistent from one model to the next and in trying on this style, we find it to be consistent with their published sizing chart and most previous Alpinestars boots.
If you know your best size from previous Alpinestars boots, then I’d advise you to choose the same size, or just use the chart to select a size based on a US street shoe size. I’d consider the width of the men’s sizes to be normal to slightly wide (D or E).
|Euro||Men’s US||Women’s US|
Our Two Cents
The Alpinestars Radon boot is a new style that is a hybrid of a few other styles. The Radon is a “standard” height boot so it is very similar in that regard to the Roam 2 and Web Gore Tex boots. I’ve compared this boot to the Roam 2 and it is VERY similar, but with a few features that adds just a bit more sport flavor. Like the Roam 2, this one closes with three Velcro buckles on the side. But the Radon has an added molded protective piece on the top-most strap that goes over the shin. That protective piece is very similar to what you see in either adventure or sport/racing boots like the SMX line of boots. Also, I see the addition of a protective pad on the side of the toe (where the Roam 2 had double leather).
The summary above goes over all the standard features… those you’d expect to find in a street boot like this: protection built into the shin, heel, toe and ankle bone areas, a shifter pad to cut wear on the boot’s toe from rubbing the shifter, a sturdy molded sole, secure closure to keep the boots on your feet, waterproof/breathable liner.
I tried on these boots for a while and I really like the feel and sturdy demeanor of the boots. Alpinestars consistently puts out a quality product and this one is no different. I think this new Radon will appeal if you want the comfort and convenience of a traditional street boot but like the idea of a bit more protection along with a more sport look. :: Paul, 10-05-17