Alpinestars T-Jaws Waterproof Jacket
- Multi-material outer shell fabric with PU coating
- Waterproof and breathable Drystar® construction with waterproof integrated membrane
- Impact protection provided by removable CE certified elbow and shoulder protectors
- Chest and back pad compartments with PE comfort padding (CE-certified Bio-Armor back protector insert available as accessory, as well as Bionic Chest Pads)
- Removable thermal liner
- Accordion stretch panels
- Pre-curved sleeve construction
- D-ring waist adjustment with Velcro® straps for highly customized fit
- Zippered Dynamic Flow Control (DFC) air intakes on shoulder area to maximize ventilation
- Integrated soft edge collar construction
- 2 zippered hand pockets, plus inner waterproof wallet pocket
- Integrated high visibility reflective graphic details and logos improve rider visibility in every light condition
- Internal waist connection zipper for attachment to riding pants
Read on for more details.
These jackets are sold in US based “alpha” sizes. Alpinestars publishes a super-complicated size chart which can be used to pick a size based upon your chest and waist. We’ve condensed their chart down to make it easy to read (see below).
This particular style runs a bit smaller than other recent models we’ve tested from Alpinestars. The fit is definitely “European” because the jackets we tried on our fit check mannequins Huey and Dewey fit good and look good, but they don’t have much extra room. My measurements of other sizes confirms this.
If you like a very trim fit, then you’ll like this style in the size you normally choose, but if you prefer a more “American” fit or you are between sizes, I’d recommend you choose a size larger than you usually wear. And since this jacket has a pretty trim fit, you’ll also want to check your belly (if you have one) and make sure the jacket size you pick is big enough for your mid-section as well as your chest.
|Jacket Size||Chest Range||Waist/Belly Range|
|Small||37.5 to 39||31 to 32.5|
|Medium||40 to 41.5||33.5 to 35|
|Large||42 to 43.5||36 to 37.5|
|XL||44.5 to 46||38 to 40|
|XXL||47 to 49||40.5 to 42|
|XXXL||49 to 51||43 to 44.5|
|XXXXL||51.5 to 53||45 to 47|
Our Two Cents
The Alpinestars T-Jaws waterproof jacket is a good looking sporty textile style. As I mention above, the cut of the jacket is for sport. There are some pretty extensive expansion panels behind the shoulders and above the elbow to allow this trim fit, but also allow a comfortable rider position and ease of movement on the bike. The jacket has a pretty standard abrasion-resistant textile shell. And to make the jacket waterproof, the inside liner is made of a waterproof and breathable material. If you open the zipper at the very bottom of the liner, you can see all the seams are “taped” to prevent water intrusion. This jacket has a couple shoulder vents and one rear exhaust vent which will admit air in warmer weather, but the airflow will only reach past the shell into the area between the outer shell and interior lining (and not reach your skin), so the overall effect will be reduced, hence my recommendation that this jacket is best for mild to cold weather. Speaking of cold weather, it comes with a full sleeve, very nice thermal liner which should provide a lot of insulation for very cold temps. For protection you get CE protectors in the shoulders and elbows and foam pads for the back and chest (upgradable, see below). You’ll also want to check out the reflectives on the jacket which will allow you to be seen more easily at night. We’ve taken some “night” shots so you can see the reflective pieces in action. Just take the “View Larger Images” link above to see all those close-up pics including the night shots and fit check shots. For everyday riding, the jacket has a good selection of pockets on the front, an inside wallet pocket and a few patch pockets both on the liner and in the jacket’s inner liner (so you’ll have the same pocket setup whether or not you are using the liner). The jacket also has a zipper for connection to pants. Overall, I like the style…. the trimmer cut looks good if you are the right body type and enjoy trim fit clothing. A very nice design. Paul :: 10-04-13