Alpinestars Jaws Jacket
- Removable CE-certified Bio-Armor shoulder and elbow protection
- Durable 1.3 mm leather construction with flexible microfiber and aramidic stretch panels on back, chest, waist and arms
- Chest and back pad compartments with PE padding (Alpinestars Bionic chest pads and Back Armor available as accessory upgrade)
- Multiple snap button system to integrate the Level 2 CE-certified Alpinestars Bionic Back Protector
- Cuff adjustment includes Velcro and semi-auto locking zips
- External, dual-density TPU shoulder sliders
- 3D mesh with a low-profile, Neoprene collar improves comfort
- Strategically positioned high density perforated zoning
- Zippered Dynamic Flow Control (DFC) air in-takes to allow efficient regulation of inner airflow
- Velcro and D-ring waist adjustment
- Neoprene comfort edge on cuffs
- Removable thermal vest
- Mesh lining to improve breathability
- Rear reflective detailing for improved rider visibility
- Internal waist connection zipper to allow attachment to Alpinestars riding pants
Read on for more details.
The fit of Alpinestars jackets is generally very predicatable. Typically we find these jackets fit more snug than other brands, but pretty close to the manufacturer’s size chart. But, with these Jaws jackets we are finding the fit to run MUCH SMALLER than normal.
Generally speaking, we find these jackets to be about one size smaller than normal in the small end of the size range, about one and a half sizes small in the mid range and about two sizes small in the largest jackets.
I’ve put together the following chart to help you choose a size based upon your chest and belly measurement. For each European size, I’m showing our estimate of max chest and belly.
|Euro Size||Normal Max Chest||Our Estimate of
Max Chest Size (inches)
|Our Estimate of
Max Belly Size (inches)
Optional back armor and fit: This jacket is supplied with a removable foam back pad and foam chest pads as standard. Alpinestars offers optional armor for the back and chest which are shown below. The idea is that you would use the more substantial armor in place of the standard foam pieces. The upgraded armor is thicker, and therefore you will probably need a jacket that is about one size bigger than you might normally buy. If you are seriously considering buying the armor also, I’d suggest you buy the armor and jacket at the same time, so you can solve the fit issue while you still have a return/exchange option.
Our Two Cents
The look of the new Jaws jacket is sharp and they’ve been popular already this season. The technical specs of the jackets are very much like other leather sport jackets in the Alpinestars lineup… here are some of the highlights: substantial CE armor for the shoulders and elbows, as well as foam padding for the back and the chest. This padding can be replaced with upgraded armor (see below) for even more protection. Another very nice touch is molded external armor on the shoulders. Stretch panels are found behind the elbows and shoulders for comfort in the riding position. We found this jacket to have an aggressive, race inspired fit, which feels great while on the bike, but may feel a bit restrictive when just walking around because the arms are rotated forward and pre-curved for the riding position. These jackets are supplied with a full circumference zipper for connection to Alpinestars pants and you could easily create a very nice two piece suit. The Jaws is offered in two versions… a solid leather version and a perforated version. Those who will ride in warmer weather frequently will appreciate the extra air flow from the perfs. On the flip side, if you frequently ride in cold weather, the solid leather version would be the choice. Both versions come with a removable thermal liner to help you widen the comfort range. Both versions have a couple zip vents on the front shoulder area, but they are laughably tiny and I don’t think they’ll help much with air flow. Overall, another very nice sport jacket choice from Alpinestars. Something new we’ve seen this year with this jacket style and also a new suit style is the inclusion of generous nighttime reflectivity. We’ve taken some very good night shots to show you how well this works. Just click the “Images” link above to see those and some close ups of the other features I’ve mentioned. I wish they hadn’t botched the sizing, but hopefully our advice will increase the chance you can choose a size that fits well for you. If not, we are easy to work with on exchanges/returns. :: Paul, 03-28-13