HJC RPHA Max Helmet
- Advanced P.I.M. (premium integrated matrix) a composite of carbon fiber, fiberglass epoxy, Aramid epoxy, and organic fibers resulting in a remarkably strong shell which is extremely lightweight
- Designed for superior fit & comfort using single-button onehanded chin bar/face shield release
- HJC’s lightest modular helmet ever designed! Size Small weighs in at 1565 grams (± 45g)
- One-touch integrated sunshield: Three position adjustable smoke tinted sunshield
- Optional tinted sunshields available (HJ-V7)
- Extremely quiet helmet at even high speeds
- Superior fog resistant clear Pinlock® Max Vision shield comes complete with a clear Pinlock® insert
- RapidFire™ II shield replacement system: Simple and secure shield ratchet system provides ultra-quick, tool less removal and installation for efficient operation (HJ-25 shields)
- 2-Stage shield closure mechanism; compresses shield into eye port gasket providing an extremely secure seal
- “ACS” Advanced channeling ventilation system; full front to back airflow flushes heat and humidity up and out
- Cool4ever™ interior: lightweight, moisture wicking, odor free and antibacterial, premium soft feel with ginkgo extract. innovative new fabric offers self-cooling properties, cooling faster then other major fabrics
- Breath guard included
- Chin curtain included; also comes with chin curtain “extender”, which is located in the owner’s manual pouch
- 5 year limited warranty
- Meets or exceeds D.O.T. standards
Here is a link to HJC’s website where you can download helmet manuals by model. You’ll find information on installing and removing shields, base plates, cheek pads, chin curtains, etc, as well as helmet care and cleaning.
Read on for more details.
Below is a size chart provided by HJC for this product. If you need help with how to measure, or how to evaluate the fit of helmet please have a look at this guide by HJC (the size chart included in this guide is for a “generic” HJC helmet and may differ slightly from the chart below that is specific to this product).
If you have questions about how this helmet might fit as compared to other helmets in your closet, please visit this FAQ for some advice.
|Helmet Size||Hat Size||Head Measurement (inches)||Head Measurement (cm)|
|XS||6 3/4 to 6 7/8||21 1/4 to 21 5/8||54 to 55|
|Small||6 7/8 to 7||21 5/8 to 22||55 to 56|
|Medium||7 1/8 to 7 1/4||22 1/2 to 22 7/8||57 to 58|
|Large||7 1/4 to 7 3/8||22 7/8 to 23 1/4||58 to 59|
|XL||7 1/2 to 7 5/8||23 5/8 to 24||60 to 61|
|XXL||7 3/4 to 7 7/8||24 3/8 to 24 3/4||62 to 63|
Other Useful HJC Information Links:
Need help choosing the right shape and size helmet for your own noggin?
Learn about the LidPicker!
Our Two Cents
The RPHA Max is the high-end modular helmet from HJC. I mention the brand name because the first thing you’ll notice is the lack of an HJC symbol anywhere on this helmet; instead, the symbol has been replaced by the RPHA “R”. By the way, RPHA stands for Revolutionary Performance Helmet Advantage, in case you were interested. HJC listened to a lot of input by racers and other highly experienced riders and created a line of helmets with high-end features at a reasonable price. Now, down to reviewing this helmet, especially in comparison to previous HJC helmets. For starters, the helmet has a neutral to intermediate oval shape, somewhat different than other HJC helmets. It’s very similar to the Arai RX-Q or Icon Variant helmets. The RPHA Max is installed with the brand new HJ-25 “MaxVision” shield. The HJ-25 is Pinlock ready and has a glove friendly center locking system to keep the shield sealed tight when it’s all the way down, creating a quiet ride. The shield has a very wide field of vision. Not only is the shield Pinlock ready, but a clear Pinlock insert is included in the box as well. I like the center locking system, it’s easy to operate with either hand.
Compared to the Sy-Max III I also realized that the chinbar has a different feel to when raising it to the top, locked position. While the Sy-Max III felt like it kind of shot up to the top and locked, the RPHA Max gives you a bit of resistance to get it locked, giving it an all-round sturdier feel. Another plus is that the chinbar is on the same hinge as the shield, which cuts down on the overall weight of the helmet.
One beef I do have about this helmet is the lack of speaker pockets on the RPHA Max. This helmet is NOT as communication system-friendly as its Sy-Max and IS-Max counterparts. You can certainly add an aftermarket communications system, but you will need low profile speakers and will have to attach them to the helmet liner. While they did take that away, HJC was nice enough to throw in a free chin curtain (as well as a chin curtain extender!) and breath deflector with this helmet which saves you the trouble of hunting down some of the accessories. The cheek pads are comfortable and I don’t feel any pressure points on my temples. I’m impressed with the new lining material that HJC is using on this helmet, it’s soft to the touch and definitely feels cooler than with some other helmets I’ve worn. The neck roll has an extra layer of padding which helps to block out wind noise.
The venting system is similar to the Sy-Max III helmet, with one chin vent, another on top of the head and two on the back for ventilation; these vents are easily operated with gloves on. The new and innovative Cool4Ever interior will also help keep you cool when you’re riding in the heat. Factor in the one-touch integrated sunshield and the sun really shouldn’t give you a problem at all when you’re on the road!
Overall, the RPHA Max helmet really does seem to be the best modular helmet that HJC offers. With its lightweight shell and durability, the RPHA Max seems well worth the price tag and I appreciate the extras included like the Pinlock insert and breath guard; they make this helmet an even better value. I think it’ll be great for both sport and sport touring riders. :: Chris, 10/11/12
Happy Customers Who Bought This Product
I first saw these helmets at the IMS in 2012, and had the oppurtunity to compare them directly to higher priced models from Arai and Schuberth - This RPHA looks and feels just as nice in my hands, is super light weight for a flip-up and VERY quiet... (Read more...)
Ordered my RPHA Max on Saturday, received it on Wednesday. How can you beat that. And at the best price I could find on the internet. (Read more...)