HJC IS-17 Intake Helmet
- Advanced Polycarbonate Compact Shell: Lightweight, superior fit and comfort using advanced CAD technology
- Impact absorbing, multiple density EPS liner
- One-Touch Integrated Smoke-Tinted SunShield (HJ-V7): Deploys quickly and easily even with gloves on. Three stage multiple positions with locking mechanism. Quick and easy removal and installation with optional tinted shields available. Patent Pending 11/335,8550
- Optically-superior Anti-scratch Pinlock® face shield (HJ-20M): New 3D design provides 95% U.V. protection, Anti-Scratch coating and can be upgraded with an optional Pinlock® insert for the ultimate Anti-Fog system (sold separately)
- RapidFire™ Shield Replacement System: Simple and secure shield ratchet system provides ultra-quick, tool-less removal and installation for efficient operation
- 2-Stage shield closure system with one-touch center open/close shield locking system makes for an extremely tight and secure seal
- “ACS” Advanced Channeling Ventilation System: Full front to back airflow flushes heat and humidity up and out
- SuperCool® Interior: Anti-bacterial moisture-wicking fabric. Crown and cheek pads are fully removable and washable. Integrated air deflector included. All IS-17 cheek pad sizes are interchangeable. (The “breath deflector” is included with the new helmet, but the “chin curtain” is not, although it can be bought separately below)
- Meets or Exceeds D.O.T. standards
Here is a link to HJC’s website where you can download helmet manuals by model. You’ll find information on installing and removing shields, base plates, cheek pads, chin curtains, etc, as well as helmet care and cleaning.
Read on for more details.
Other Useful HJC Information Links:
Our Two Cents
The IS-17 is the latest full face helmet in the HJC Internal Sunshield helmet family. It comes standard with the HJ-V7 Smoke sunshield installed. HJC also makes a Dark Smoke or an Amber sunshield you can purchase separately. The visor is a Pinlock ready HJ-20M. I really like the Pinlock shields and use them on all my helmets. The Pinlock insert is sold separately but I would highly recommend picking one up. HJC offers a variety of mirrored and non-mirrored tints in the HJ-20M. After checking out this helmet I think HJC has improved the venting in the IS-17 over the IS-16 helmet. In the past there has been some give and take when it comes to venting and internal sunshields. HJC did a nice job of designing a better venting system for the IS-17. On the IS-16 the internal sunshield would block off the brow vents when the shield was not in use. They got rid of the brow vents and put a single vent system closer to the top of the helmet. It has a big opening to catch more air and channel air down into the helmet behind the area the sunshield sits. This way you still get good airflow coming into the helmet even with the sunshield retracted. HJC made the chin bar vents larger to accept more air. HJC also changed the shell design of the helmet. The rear of the helmet has a less rounded shape than the IS-16; it has a more aerodynamic and streamlined shape. This does a few things for the helmet. It aids in keeping the helmet stable at speed much like a spoiler does. It also causes an area of low pressure at the rear of the helmet which helps draw air out of the vents at the rear of the helmet. Speaking of the shell design the shell shape is pretty much what you would expect from HJC. I would say it is a Neutral to Slightly Round shell shape. I typically wear a size medium in HJC helmets and the medium IS-17 was a perfect fit in the crown. There aren’t any cut outs in the EPS liner for speakers, but the cheek pads are designed in such a way that you can install speakers without causing any internal space issues. – Aaron 09/12/14