FirstGear Heat Pump Vest
- Revolutionary, adjustable air chamber technology for ultimate heat retention
- Included Heat Pump bulb stows in pocket and allows full adjustability of air density to customize warmth level
- Poly/bamboo inner lining wicks moisture, dries quickly and minimizes odor retention
- Smooth nylon exterior fabric for soft, no-bind layering under any outerwear
- 2-way front zipper
- Dual zipper-secured handwarmer pockets
- No batteries or external power source required; YOU are the heat source
Read on for more details.
I donned this new Heat Pump Vest for our photo series. When I first slipped on the XL, it felt large, but when I inflated the vest, the oversize disappeared. When you inflate the vest the air chambers become about 3/4” thick and therefore take up a lot of room. I’d recommend you buy the size you normally wear in men’s clothing.
Our Two Cents
This new Heat Pump Vest works on the principle that air gaps are a good insulator of heat. Think Thermos bottle, those double wall ice tea glasses, etc. And the unique thing about this vest is that you can adjust the size of the air gap and therefore the amount of insulation capability you’ll get. The vest inflates with a rubber bulb like you see at the doctor’s office when they take your blood pressure. The bulb also has a small button to release the air. The bulb stores away in one of the zippered hand warmer pockets. It takes quite a number of pumps to fully inflate the vest, and upon inflation, I could immediately feel the warmth being trapped inside. The materials used are high quality feeling and I particularly like the feel of the inside liner material (the Poly/Bamboo mentioned above). Take the “View Larger Pictures” link above to see this vest up close on yours truly. :: Paul, 01-02-14