Alpinestars SP-5 Leather Glove
Constructed from highly abrasion resistant, full grain leather and featuring a rugged polymer knuckle protection, the SP-5 offers high levels of protection, movement and comfort. With a pre-shaped finger construction and a velcro cuff closure this glove affords a secure and highly personalized performance riding fit.
- Top surface built with high performance synthetic leather associated with perforated goat leather to provide optimized levels of comfort, durability and cooling airflow.
- An innovative microfiber and PU grip insert strategically position on palm and thumb for excellent levels of grip control and durability.
- Premium, full-grain leather palm construction is durable and offers excellent abrasion resistance.
- Ergonomically profiled synthetic suede reinforcements on pinky sidewall provide maximum abrasion resistance in key impact zone.
- Alpinestars’ patented third and fourth finger bridge prevents seam failure and finger separation in the event of a slide.
- Excellent impact performance offered by an advanced over-molded polymer knuckle protector.
- Alpinestars’ exclusive ergonomic stretch insert between palm and thumb offers improved range of hand movement and greater sensitivity while operating the bike controls.
- Pre-curved finger construction reduces rider fatigue while offering excellent comfort and fit.
- Palm, fingers padded with energy absorbing EVA foam for additional protection
- Velcro wrist adjuster and widevelcro strap on the cuff provide a secure and adjusted closure.
- Touchscreen compatible index fingertip and thumb allow the use of smartphone and GPS systems.
Read on for more details.
The fit of Alpinestars gloves are very consistent from one model to the next. And overall, they fit a bit small as compared to other brands we carry such as FirstGear, Tour Master, etc. It’s not enough to recommend that you buy a larger size (especially if a snug fit is preferred) but it is noticeable enough to say that if you are sometimes between sizes, then you should probably choose the larger of the two. Hopefully you’ve had some experience with buying gloves and can choose based upon the fit of a previous pair. If you have no previous experience with glove sizing, go here for help.
Our Two Cents
The SP-5 leather glove by Alpinestars is a good choice for the rider that likes the look, feel and protection of a sport/race glove but without the longer gauntlet of a full-on race glove.
These gloves are surprisingly light feeling. I think the combination of synthetic leather on the back of the hand and the thinner goat material in the palm made them quite a bit lighter than other gloves of similar design. I think these gloves would be good for the everyday street riding wanting something convenient and easy to store away. The gloves have the conductive material on the finger tips so you can operate your devices without taking off your gloves… a handy thing for everyday use.
The gloves have a nice molded knuckle protector built in and they have some padding on the outside of the wrist area. One other safety feature is the the pinkie and second fingers have Alpinestar’s patented “bridge” which tie the two together so the ring finger can add some rigidity to the pinkie, it being the most prone to injury in a crash. :: Paul, 10-12-17