Alpinestars SP Air Gloves
- Supple, durable full-grain leather chassis incorporating strategically placed 3D mesh inserts for optimized airflow and comfort
- Ergonomically profiled synthetic suede reinforcements on the palm and outer hand landing zones provide maximum abrasion resistance in key impact zones
- Localized perforations on palm and backhand surface and ventilated and mesh finger sidewalls offer exceptional all-round air flow
- TPR air intakes on fingers and knuckle protection prevent build-up of sweat heat while riding
- Alpinestars exclusive ergonomic stretch insert between palm and thumb offers improved range of hand movement and greater sensitivity while operating the bike controls
- Long gauntlet cuff construction offers extended coverage and comfort for the lower arm and can be tightly closed over the jacket sleeve to form an excellent seal against the weather
- Pre-curved finger construction reduces rider fatigue while offering excellent comfort and fit
- Ergonomic injected TPU palm slider for superior impact and abrasion resistance in key area
- Race-proven, injected TPU knuckle protector to absorb and dissipate impact while providing air cooling thanks to its specifically engineered vents
- Alpinestars patented finger-bridge prevents finger separation and stops protection twisting around the fourth finger in the event of a slide
- Palm, fingers and backhand padded with energy absorbing EVA foam for additional protection
- Velcro® wrist adjuster and wide Velcro® strap on the cuff provide a secure and adjusted closure
- Leather stretch accordion and Lycra® gussets on fingers and thumb for superior fit and flexibility
- Touchscreen compatible index finger and thumb allow the use of smartphone and GPS systems
Read on for more details.
The fit of Alpinestars gloves are very consistent from one model to the next. And overall, they fit a bit small as compared to other brands we carry such as FirstGear, Tour Master, etc. It’s not enough to recommend that you buy a larger size (especially if a snug fit is preferred) but it is noticeable enough to say that if you are sometimes between sizes, then you should probably choose the larger of the two. Hopefully you’ve had some experience with buying gloves and can choose based upon the fit of a previous pair. If you have no previous experience with glove sizing, go here for help..
I will have to say that in trying on this glove, I found the wrist opening to be quite snug, but once I got my hand through that part, the fit was similar to other Alpinestars gloves. Could just be the one pair though, but I’d caution those with beefy paws against this particular style.
Our Two Cents
The SP Air glove is for those who want a mid-priced gauntlet race/sport glove, but one with some venting for hot weather use. As of this writing, we are selling two other mid-priced sport/race gloves that are VERY similar to this one… the SP-1 2016 and the SP-2 2014. This model shares many of the same features you’ll find on a lot of sport race gloves like this: Hard armor over the knuckles, third/fourth finger bridge, slider in the heel of the hand, extra layers over the side of the pinkie, secure wrist closure, etc.
So what’s the draw here? Well, I see that the back of the hand is a mix of leather, perf leather, molded vents on the backs of the fingers and knuckles, and some other strategically placed segments of breathable mesh material. And the leather used in the palm of the hand is part perforated. And there are even small segments of mesh material between the fingers. I also see that the gauntlet is actually bifurcated behind the Velcro closure. So all this adds up to airflow. Bad in the winter but wonderful in the summer!
Summary: Mid priced… good quality with lots of race features, very similar to other Alpinestars gauntlet gloves, but made for air flow and summer use. :: Paul, 03-29-16
Happy Customers Who Bought This Product
These gloves are a must for hot weather. Lots of air flow, leather protection, comfortable fit. Putting you hand out in the wind will give lots of air in your palm to help keep your hands cool. (Read more...)