Alpinestars SP-1 Gloves - 2013
- Innovative multi-panel construction incorporating strong and supple leather main chassis and reinforced palm
- Molded carbon-fiber knuckle protectors are light and durable, and offer protection against repeated abrasion
- Alpinestars’ patented third and fourth finger bridge
- Palm and outer edge of hand reinforced with suede
- Accordion flex inserts on fingers and outer thumb
- Vented back hand TPR for climate control
- Strategically positioned ventilation perforations on fingers, finger sidewalls, thumb and wrist cuff
- Leather reinforcements cover finger and sidewalls for durability
- Thumb, fingers, top of hand and wrist are reinforced with 4mm perforated foam padding
- Gauntlet-style cuff includes TPR Astars logo and secure, adjustable dual Velcro closure
- Pre-curved finger design reduces fatigue
Read on for more details.
Like most Alpinestars gloves, these gloves run a bit smaller than most glove brands we carry. They are not a lot small and most people can choose the size they normally wear in gloves (especially if a snug fit is preferred). If you are sometimes between sizes, then choose the larger of the two. Hopefully you’ve had some experience with buying gloves and can choose based upon the fit of a previous pair. If you have no previous experience with glove sizing, go here for help.
Our Two Cents
The 2013 SP-1 glove from Alpinestars is a high quality glove for the aggressive street rider or amateur racer. The SP-1 model has always been their “mid-priced” glove which is made to offer a good level of protection at an affordable price. The leather is mid-weight and comfortable and should provide good abrasion protection. The knuckles are protected with a molded carbon fiber armor piece that should offer some great protection and also adds to the looks of the gloves. There is some padding and additional armor pieces on the fingers and the gauntlet is lightly padded too. The palm of the glove has been reinforced with a synthetic suede material. A new feature found on nearly all Alpinestars sport race gloves is the leather “bridge” between the third and fourth finger which serves to protect the pinkie by tying it to the stronger ring finger. There is a Velcro strap at the wrist and a Velcro gauntlet closure for a good secure fit. Overall, this glove feels good and looks good. :: Paul, 03-29-13