FirstGear Kilimanjaro 5.0 Jacket
- Hypertex™ waterproof and breathable outer shell made of high density 600 denier polyester
- CE armor in elbows and shoulders plus an EVA dense foam back pad
- Exterior shoulders and elbows heavily reinforced with 640 denier nylon to resist abrasion
- Achieve maximum air flow with two 9” chest intake vents, two 8” armpit intake vents and one 13” rear exhaust vent
- Double storm flap front with snap rain gutter and placket Napoleon pocket with red slider for easy visibility
- 2 chest flap pockets with easy grab tabs that conceal cargo storage pockets utilizing waterproof zippers and hook-and-loop closures
- 2 front lower patch pockets with envelope closures to protect your property from the elements
- 2 side entry pockets protected by waterproof zippers
- Collar is lined with fleece fabric and tipped with soft touch stretch fabric for a comfortable, flexible fit
- Adjustable waist belt with hoop-and-loop closure
- 3 position adjustable arm compression straps secured by snaps
- Cuff closures are adjustable using hoop-and-loop closure and tipped with soft touch stretch fabric for comfort and flexibility
- Elbow bend and armpit features waterproof and breathable stretch fabric that adds flexibility and reduced binding
- Interior pocketing included hook-and loop closure phone storage, a large patch and chest wallet storage secured with snap closure
- Inner Jacket:
- Zips and snaps snugly into outer jacket for cold riding or can be worn as a cool weather, stand alone jacket
- Shell is Taslan nylon, waterproof, breathable and wind proof
- Bonded fleece interior for warmth
- 2 exterior hand warmer, fleece lined pockets
- Interior phone and patch storage pockets
- Taffeta lined sleeves for easy on/off
Check out these similar products:
These jackets are sold in “alpha” sizes. FirstGear offers sizing information for this product which is very typical for any brand jacket as follows:
But, we found them to consistently run large both in fit and the sizing information that is given by FirstGear. Our model in this picture would normally wear a medium and this medium jacket was large overall. We recommend that you buy your jacket one size smaller than you would normally wear.
Tall sizes: FirstGear offers this jacket in talls, which provides a rarely found option for tall people. The body and sleeves of the jackets are 1 1/2 to 2 inches taller than the “standard” cut jackets. If you normally have to buy “talls” then these should work for you.
Our Two Cents
The Kilimanjaro 5.0 Textile Jacket is FirstGear’s most sturdy and feature filled design for touring riders or commuters. Wow! This jacket is heavy duty and has a TON of storage. The main shell of this jacket is a Hypertex™ waterproof/breathable material that is made from high density polyester that will stand up to the toughest wear and tear. The exterior shoulders and elbows are reinforced with a second layer of nylon for abrasion resistance. For impact protection, the shoulders and elbows are fitted with removable CE armor and the back is fitted with an EVA dense foam pad. Now let’s talk about climate control, the outer shell is waterproof to keep you dry in the rain, it’s also made from a breathable material that will help keep you cool (haven’t tried this feature personally, but it has to be an improvement over shell materials that are not designed like this). This jacket also comes with a really nice removable inner jacket. The inner jacket is made of a lightweight material that is waterproof, windproof, and breathable. It provides an extra layer to keep you warm and dry on the road. The front of the inner jacket is made of mesh and the back is made of bonded fleece for warmth. It also has two exterior fleece lined hand-warmer pockets, an interior phone pocket and patch storage pockets. FirstGear made this inner jacket for people who are tight on space and need to travel light. The inner jacket has finished seams so that you can wear it as a stand-alone jacket. We think that this is a great idea. The only nit to pick would be the snaps that you use to attach it to the outer shell are visible when you wear it alone. During warmer weather, you can increase air flow by opening up the waterproof zippers on the chest, armpit, and back vents. We recommend this jacket for mild to cold temperatures, but not for warm/hot weather. To help with fit, you get adjustable straps in the bicep, wrist, and waist which will also cut down on drag from the wind. Last, but certainly not least is storage… this jacket has great pockets to keep your stuff packed away. All of the pockets have waterproof features on them. There are two large cargo pockets, which, when opened reveal fairly complex storage features. There are several different pockets of various sizes to store any number of things you’ll want to carry on the road. In addition to these large upper cargo pockets, there are two front lower pockets and two hand-warmer pockets. Inside the jacket there is a patch pocket, and a secured phone pocket. The inner document pocket is by the zipper so that you can access it with the liner intact, and there is an extra phone pocket in the actual jacket so that you can have a place to put your phone while you are not wearing the thermal inner jacket. There is a lot going on with this jacket, make sure to take a closer look at the “View Larger Pictures” link above.
Happy Customers Who Bought This Product
This is a good cold weather jacket. I've worn it comfortably at 0 degrees Celsius with a neck warmer and fleece jacket underneath . I plan to take touring later this summer.
I love my Kilimanjaro Jacket. I picked it up from Motorcycle gear on the last chance rack at a great price. This jacket is great in cold weather. (Read more...)