FirstGear Kathmandu Jacket
- HYPERTEX™ waterproof and breathable outer shell, constructed of 420 denier rip-stop nylon
- 1.5 liter hydration bladder included in removable backpack
- Front left and right restraining loops for bladder tube make access easy
- CE armor in elbows and shoulders, plus an EVA dense foam back pad
- Achieve maximum air flow with two 9” chest intake vents, two 7” armpit intake vents and one extra large 14” rear exhaust vent
- Double storm flap front with snap and hook-and-loop closure that covers a 8” YKk® Vision 2-way main zipper
- Dry Pockets will keep your stash dry – 5 in front with flaps, protected by waterproof zippers and/or envelope closures
- Large rear dry pouch with 14” mouth to stow insulated liner, protected by waterproof zipper and flap with snap and hook-and-loop closure to keep it all intact and safe from the elements
- Reflective piping on front and rear for improved night time visibility
- Adjustable waist belt with hook-and-loop closure
- Adjustable cuff using hook-and-loop closure
- Custom fit the forearm and bicep with snap adjustments
- Elbow bend and armpit features waterproof and breathable stretch fabric that adds flexibility and reduces binding
- Removable, full insulated thermal liner with wind blocking, adjustable neoprene cuffs
- Removable liner also includes phone storage, large patch cargo and vertical wallet pocket with zippered closure and red slider for easy visibility
- Jacket to Pant 10” full connection zipper; fits easily through liner portal
- Collar conceals an under helmet rain hood to keep water out
- Matching Kathmandu Pants also available
Check out these similar products:
These jackets are sold in “alpha” sizes. FirstGear offers sizing information for this product which is very typical for any brand jacket as follows:
But, we found them to consistently run large both in fit and the sizing information that is given by FirstGear. Our model in this picture is would normally wear a medium and this medium jacket, was large overall. We recommend that you buy your jacket one size smaller than you would normally wear.
Tall sizes: FirstGear offers this jacket in talls, which provides a rarely found option for tall people. The body and sleeves of the jackets are 1 1/2 to 2 inches taller than the “standard” cut jackets. If you normally have to buy “talls” then these should work for you.
Our Two Cents
The Kathmandu Textile jacket is a 3/4 length jacket for street and touring riders. It’ one of FirstGear’s top of the line textile jacket. It’s made with a HYPERTEX waterproof and breathable outer shell and high quality nylon for extra durability. Let’s start with the climate control features. The overall construction is made from a water/windproof, breathable shell that will keep air circulating for comfort. There are large intake vents in the chest and the underarms, and an over-sized rear exhaust vent to increase airflow on warmer days. All of the zippers are waterproof and all outer pockets are envelope style so that a waterproof flap will keep your cargo dry. If you get caught in the rain there is also a rain hood in the collar that is designed to fit under your helmet to keep the water out. This jacket also comes with a nice full-sleeve, thermal liner that will keep you warm down to low temperatures, or that can be removed on warmer days. A 1.5 liter hydration bladder with a removable backpack is also included to help keep you cool and hydrated on warm days. With all these climate features, this is a really nice jacket for mild to cold weather, but we would not recommend this jacket for summer when you will be experiencing high temperatures. On to storage, this jacket has tons of it! There are four nice sized pockets in the front, and a really large storage pocket in the rear. You could even use the hydration backpack for storage if you wanted to. Inside there is a large patch pocket to one side, a secure phone pocket, and an internal document pocket. Now let’s talk about protection. You get heavy duty CE approved armor in the shoulders and elbows, and an EVA dense foam back pad for impact protection, and 420 denier rip-stop nylon for abrasion protection in case of a fall. There are also tension straps in the arms, waist, and on the backpack to cut down on wind resistance. Matching Kathmandu Overpants are also available, we have attached them for your convenience below under “related products.” For a closer look, take the “View Larger Pictures” tour above.
Note for Returns In order to return this jacket, the bladder must be unopened and returned in its original packaging.
Did you find the sizing advice and review helpful? We could become friends…
Happy Customers Who Bought This Product
Great jacket, mostly. New Enough's sizing advice was spot-on. I usually wear XL, ended up with a Large Tall. New Enough was also spot on that this is not a good choice for hot weather, but in anything else this is my new favorite piece of gear. It... (Read more...)