FirstGear Kenya Jacket - 2010 (Just a Few Left)
- Outer shell made of HYPERTEX™ waterproof and breathable, high-density, 600 denier polyester for abrasion resistance; it keeps the rain out, but allows humidity to escape
- YKK® waterproof zippers are used on all exterior closures to shield your property from the elements
- Protection includes CE-rated armor in the shoulders and elbows plus an EVA foam back pad
- To achieve maximum coolness, there are eight options: two 10” chest intake vents, two 8” arm pit vents, two 10” back exhaust vents plus two 9-1/2” sleeve cuff vents
- The main front, 2-way YKK® zipper is shielded from moisture by a double storm flap with rain gutter held in place by hook-and-loop closures; on the placket inside the storm flap is a security pocket with a red slider for visibility
- Concealed under the front pockets is the Cargo Storage System™: multiple compartments make it easy to carry all the necessities of the road. Also included is a clip-on bungee lanyard for keys. Additional outside storage is provided by two, front side pockets
- For a custom fit, adjustments can be made to the waist, sleeve cuffs and collar, made possible by hook-and-loop closures. The collar tab tucks back inward easily when not in use. For comfort, the collar is finished with a soft, smooth, padded tipping
- Reflective panels on the front, side arm and back offer nighttime visibility
- Thermoneck™ extends up the neck and chin and stows back into the jacket when not in use. Lined with soft-to-the-touch fleece, it does a great job of keeping the cold at bay
- For cold riding, there is a removable, insulated, fully-sleeved internal liner
- A Firstgear standard; inside every jacket there is a phone pocket on the left side and a map/cargo pocket on the right side; the Kenya has these pockets in both the liner and the jacket and so, whether the liner is in or out, the internal pockets are in the same place
- Jacket-to-pant 10” full conjunction zipper fits easily through liner portal and the mating half can be sewn onto your favorite pair of pants
Special Sale on Larger Sizes!: We are discounting some larger size selections even further because we are overstocked on those. Buy now and enjoy the savings! Prices will be returned to their normal price when we sell off enough of these larger sizes to be back in balance.
We found these charts to be accurate for the Kenya jacket so pick the size that corresponds to your measurements.
These jackets are sold in “alpha” sizes. FirstGear offers sizing information for this product which is very typical for any brand jacket as follows:
A Note About Arms: For some reason the sleeves in this jacket are cut a bit narrow, especially in the elbow area. We found that bigger arms or an extra layer under this jacket caused the sleeves to be uncomfortably tight when the elbows are bent. Our size large model, who has pretty big guns complained, but our owner, who has “normal” arms didn’t find it to be a problem. So the conclusion is, if you have bigger/muscular arms, we’d recommend looking at a different jacket. (Other FirstGear styles don’t seem to have an issue).
Our Two Cents
The FirstGear Kenya jacket is a good commuter or touring rider’s jacket for cold to warm weather rides. The Kenya offers plenty of storage space. Two large front pockets with 9 inch vertical zippers are easy to access and provide a ton of storage space inside. There are organizer pockets within these pockets so you won’t have to dig around for your stuff. There are also two hand warmer pockets as well as a full complement of interior pockets. One nice feature of all FirstGear jackets: they replicate the interior pockets in the jacket shell and in the liner, so whether the liner is in or out, the pockets are in the same places. For climate control there is a fully sleeved removable liner which is insulated. There is also a neck wrap which is held in place with Velcro. This piece can be extended up and wrapped around your neck, a great feature in cold weather! The neck is usually one of the spots that remains painfully exposed with most riding gear. While we’re talking about the neck, we found that this jacket’s collar is uncomfortably high when zipped all the way up. It will dig in under your chin and could cause a bit of chafing. This area may soften up with some use though and an easy solution to the problem is just don’t zip it up all the way. When it’s cooler if you use the neck wrap it should be comfortable. For warmer weather the liner can be removed, and there are 6 vents which can be opened. Two 10 inch chest vents, two sleeve vents, and two rear exit vents. Unlike some other FirstGear jackets, these vents do not have anything to hold them open. They seem to want to stay closed so I question how effective they will be at directing air into the body. For this reason I’d say that this jacket would probably get pretty toasty in warmer temps. The Kenya does have the Hypertex® waterproof liner so if you are caught in the rain it should keep you dry. The main (two way) zipper has a storm flap to stop unwanted wind and rain from entering there as well. For protection the Kenya has standard CE approved armor in the elbows and shoulders, as well as a foam back pad; all of which is removable. There are good amounts of reflective material used on the chest, upper arms, and upper back, which will help keep you visible at night or in inclement weather. For some pictures of this jacket and its features, click the “View Larger Pictures” link above.
Happy Customers Who Bought This Product
I had to return the Armadillo Vest because it was too big, but it looked well built. Be careful because the small is rated for a relatively large chest (38in I believe). The sport 2. (Read more...)
I recently purchased a First Gear (for my son) and Joe Rocket bike jacket (for myself). I have owned a First Gear jacket for 19 years so it was no surprise that the fit and finish of this jacket was top notch. This was my first Joe Rocket product. (Read more...)