SAS-TEC CE Approved Elbow/Knee (and Maybe Shoulder) Protectors
- 3D Protector from visco elastic soft foam with outstanding shock absorption values: Residual force < 20 kN
- Optimal for breathable textile clothing due to the ventilation openings
- We recommend these protectors for use in elbow and knee areas. Also certified for use in the shoulder area. High-end engineering for greater safety
- Weight: ca. 72 g / item
- Dimensions (L/W/H): ca. 250/160/11 mm
- Protection level: 2 (mean value below 20 kN)
- Protectors surpass the required values of EN 1621-1:2012, level 2
- Protectors are not destroyed by an impact and can still be used
- Protectors are lightweight, symmetrical and washable (remove, hand launder separately / water absorption less than one per cent)
Overall length/width of these pieces is about 9” long x 5” wide. But the shape of the protectors is curved, so I’ll give you the measurement of length and width measured on the surface over the curve in both directions. Length is about 10” and width is about 6 1/2”. You can use these estimates to decide if the armor pockets in your jacket or pants will work with the size of these protectors.
The manufacturer lists these pieces as shoulder/elbow/knee. Certainly they are a good shape and size for the elbows or knees. And while there is no reason this model couldn’t be used to protect a shoulder, you’ll want to pay special attention to the size of your shoulder armor because this piece may be a bit too long. If you are retrofitting this armor into a jacket you have and the shoulder pockets don’t seem to be big enough for this piece, I’d suggest a different brand which wouldn’t extend down the arm as far. The Knox or Alpinestars Bio-Armor has a more oval shape.
As of this writing, These armor pieces are a direct replacement for all Scorpion jackets for shoulder and elbows EXCEPT the 1909 models. The 1909 jacket use this armor in the elbows and a specially shaped shoulder armor which you will find listed below.
Our Two Cents
SAS-TEC armor is one of the newer armor brands on the market in the US. As of this writing, Scorpion has adopted this armor for use in their new designs. But the armor is sold separately so that people can retrofit existing armor if they like. The armor pieces are comparatively lightweight, very pliable and have sort of a soft “squishy” feel to it, which makes it very comfortable in apparel. The “feel” of the material feels a lot like the D3O brand to me. “Ordinary” CE armor inserts are a bit heavier and not as pliable. Even though this armor is pliable and flexible, it has the unusual property of becoming momentarily very firm when struck, which helps disperse an impact over a wider area of the body in a fall. This property, along with the comfort factor, makes this armor a “premium” product in my opinion. :: Paul, 08-08-14