Alpinestars Bionic Air Back Protector
- Ergonomic, compact protector that focuses protective coverage around the central back
- CE Certified Level 1 to the latest back protector standard (prEN1621-2:2010) allowing a slimmer, more ergonomic design
- Innovative Dual Density Honeycomb Technology (DDH) combines two different honeycomb structures to offer lightweight impact protection with exceptional breathability and comfort
- Outer Honeycomb plate – made of Polypropylene; provides an outer structure to protect the back from penetrating injuries, as well as dissipating impact force over a wider area
- Inner Honeycomb foam – made from a special elastomeric compound, this light and flexible impact foam absorbs transferred energy
- Protection plates have special lateral “wings” that flex to fit to the movement of the shoulder blades and wrap around the kidneys when in the riding position
A back protector like this should be chosen by your height. Below is a chart you can use to choose the correct size for you. We’ve also listed waist sizes. As you can see, these back protectors are built for a pretty trim waist. Based on how the large fit me, I think you can make any one of these sizes go an inch or two bigger than the stated waist size range, but not much further. The waist belt goes around the middle of your belly, so if you have some gut, you’d be wise to put a tape around it.
|Back Protector Size||Recommended Height Range||Waist Range|
|XS||5’7” to 5’9”||28 3/4” to 30”|
|Small||5’9” to 5’10”||31 1/8” to 32 5/8”|
|Medium||5’10” to 5’11”||33 1/2” to 39”|
|Large||5’11” to 6’||35 7/8” to 37 3/8”|
|XL||6’ to 6’1”||38 1/8” to 39 3/4”|
Our Two Cents
The Bionic Air Back Protector from Alpinestars is designed to protect the back from impact, all in a lightweight and breathable style that is slim and comfortable to wear. The “air” design of this back protector is a bit different than other back protectors we sell (as of the time of this writing). It has a hard plastic frame (outside away from your body). The part that is against your body is a soft foam and mesh arrangement. And between the two is the “honeycomb technology” material. Looking at it through the outer mesh it reminds me of an air conditioner filter, but it feels much more solid than that. Overall it feels light, but substantial and very well made. We’ll have to just trust Alpinestars for the technology aspect. Take the “View Larger Pictures” link above to see some good closeups of the sample we inspected.